Gang attack: 10 Nigerians hospitalised in S’Africa

Ten Nigerians have been hospitalised in South Africa, while 25 shops owned by Nigerians have been looted following attacks by organized gangs.

 

The President of the Nigerian Union in South Africa, Mr Ikechukwu Anyene, told the News Agency of Nigeria on phone from Pretoria on Friday that the attack began last week in Johannesburg and later spread to Pretoria this week.

 

He said commercial taxi drivers, led the attack against Nigerians in Pretoria while unknown gangs attacked Nigerians in Johannesburg.

 

Anyene said one Nigerian in hospital was still in coma when officials of the Union and the Nigerian high commission in South Africa visited the injured in hospitals.

 

“Officials of Nigerian mission in South Africa and Union officers went round today to assess the extent of damage done to business centres and shops owned by Nigerians.

 

“In Pretoria, 25 shops belonging to Nigerians were attacked and looted by the gang. Ten Nigerians are now receiving treatment in some hospitals while one of them is still in coma,” he said.

 

Anyene said the gang alleged that Nigerians were selling drugs to South Africans and used the opportunity to attack and loot their shops.

 

“We have reported the incident to the police in the central business district of Pretoria, where the bulk of the attacks took place.

 

“The South African police have made entry on our report and pledged to investigate the attacks.

 

“We have also appealed to our people (Nigerians) to be calm and law abiding because the Union and the Nigerian mission were handling the situation.

 

“As we speak, we have not recorded any attack today, April 4, and everywhere is calm,” Anyene said.

 

The President said the Nigerian mission in South Africa has also pledged to take up the matter with South African authorities. NAN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

x

Check Also

Suicide: Late director was paid last in December, says Kogi govt

The Kogi State Government says Mr. Edward Soje, the late director who recently committed suicide after his wife gave birth to triplets, was last paid salary in December 2016 ...