The Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Musa (retd.), has assured protesting military veterans that the Federal Government would address their concerns over pension adjustments and other welfare issues.
Musa gave the assurance on Wednesday when representatives of the protesting ex-servicemen visited the Ministry of Defence, Ship House, Abuja.
The minister, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Defence, Richard Pheelangwah, said the government was committed to addressing the welfare, remuneration and pension concerns of retired military personnel.
The meeting came amid a heavy security presence around the ministry, where armed soldiers and policemen had earlier prevented the veterans from converging at the premises to commence their planned protest.
The ex-servicemen are demanding the implementation of consequential adjustments to their pensions following salary increases approved for serving military personnel.
Addressing the veterans, Musa, in a statement by the ministry’s spokesman, Henshaw Ogubike, acknowledged the sacrifices made by retired military personnel, stressing that their welfare remained a priority of the Federal Government.
He said concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments were receiving “urgent attention”, adding that relevant military, pension and financial authorities were being engaged to arrive at a sustainable resolution.
“Concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments are receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to achieve a fair, sustainable and implementable resolution that ensures veterans are not unfairly disadvantaged, ” the statement partly read.
The minister appealed to the protesters to remain calm and embrace dialogue, saying sustained engagement remained the best way to resolve the outstanding issues.
He said, “Any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded and implemented in accordance with extant approvals, regulations and due process.”
Musa assured the veterans that the Ministry of Defence would continue to engage their representatives and provide updates as progress was made on their demands.
He reiterated the government’s appreciation of the patriotism and sacrifices of military veterans, saying their service to the country must be recognised through sustained attention to their welfare and legitimate entitlements.
Earlier, the planned protest had been disrupted by the heavy deployment of security personnel around the ministry.
Retired military personnel had attempted to converge at the front of the Ministry of Defence to protest the alleged non-implementation of consequential pension adjustments arising from salary increases approved for serving military personnel.
The development reportedly led to a confrontation between some serving soldiers and the retired personnel as security operatives moved to prevent the protesters from assembling at the ministry.
The veterans have particularly demanded that pensioners benefit from consequential adjustments arising from salary increases approved for serving military personnel.
One of the leaders of the protesters, Col. Innocent Azubike (retd.), had said the retirees were not opposed to salary increases for serving personnel but wanted corresponding adjustments to their pensions.
He also raised concerns over the latest salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect in September, alleging that pensioners were excluded from the computation.














































