TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Ebola-hit countries must screen all departing travelers: WHO

The Citizen by The Citizen
August 18 2014
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The World Health Organisation (WHO), has advised authorities in countries affected by Ebola to check people departing at international airports, seaports and major border crossings.

A statement issued by the UN health agency recommended that people with any signs of the virus should be stopped from traveling.

The agency reiterated that the risk of getting infected with Ebola on an aircraft was small and said there was no need for wider travel or trade restrictions.

“Affected countries are requested to conduct exit screening of all persons at international airports, seaports and major land crossings, for unexplained febrile illness consistent with potential Ebola infection.

“Any person with an illness consistent with EVD (Ebola Virus Disease) should not be allowed to travel unless the travel is part of an appropriate medical evacuation,” the statement said.

Nigeria’s Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu, on Aug. 7 announced that all outbound passengers from the country would be screened.

The precautionary measure was announced since it was brought to Lagos by a Liberian-America Patrick Sawyer on July 20.

Meanwhile, the Federal Ministry of Health announced on Monday that  Nigeria now had 12 confirmed cases of the Ebola virus, up from 10 at last week’s count.

A statement from the ministry said five of the confirmed cases have almost fully recovered.

It said 189 people in Lagos and six others in the southeastern city of Enugu were under surveillance, while the death toll still remains four.

The Ebola virus has killed more than 1,000 people in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia since the outbreak began in March. (Reuters/NAN)

 

Previous Post

Four more Nigerians recover from Ebola, discharged from hospital

Next Post

Deserving care for Ebola patients – Punch

Next Post

Deserving care for Ebola patients - Punch

Impeachment as tool of witch-hunt – The Sun

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.