Bandits killed 2,500 people in Zamfara – State govt

Zamfara State Governor Abdulaziz Yari has said between 2009 and 2018, about 2,500 people were killed while 25,000 cows were rustled by armed bandits in the state.

Yari made the disclosure Monday at the Special Town Hall Meeting organised by the federal government on measures to curb killings across the north-western state.

Zamfara had experienced the worse-case of banditry committed by criminal elements, who rustled cattle and ransacked settlements until the deployment of troops by government, which last year launched Operation Whirl Stroke 2, curtailed their activities.

The governor said 10,500 houses were destroyed, 3,000 farms scorched, 493 silos damaged, 336 vehicles vandalised, 500 shops razed and over 54, 000 people were sheltered in Internally Displayed Persons Camps.

Yari also said N14.8 billion was spent rebuilding farmlands destroyed by bandits across the state and on security.

At the meeting attended by some ministers, including Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed; Defence, Maj. Gen Monsur Dan-Ali (Rtd); Water Resources, Sule Adamu; Environment (State), Jubril Usman; Budget and National Planning (State), Zainab Ahmed, and State for Trade, Industry and Commerce, Aisha Bello; Yari said the money was spent on restoration of farmlands for the affected people and on security operatives.

He said the military involvement had led to the recovery of 3,000 assorted arms from the bandits, in addition to the clearance of over 36 camps.

Yari, who is the Chairman of Nigerian Governors’ Forum, accused the previous administration headed by Goodluck Jonathan of apathy to the Zamfara crisis. He said Jonathan only sent 240 troops to tackle the crisis in 2014.

“It became so bad that when I met the former president in March 2014, I had to complain bitterly and asked him if Zamfara was no longer one of the 36 states of the federation because he was not showing concern. Even when the bandits killed many people here, the government did not send a federal delegation to commiserate with us. It was not until we wrote a protest letter in March 2014, that they deployed 240 soldiers from Zuru to this place to start working on security,” Yari said.

He said they were already seeing the result with the 1,000 soldiers sent by the current administration as the people can now go about their normal businesses.

On his part, Lai Mohammed said the drastic fall in the killings resulted from concerted and
committed actions by the federal government to curtail the farmers-herders clashes, cattle rustling and other acts of banditry.

“I have no doubt that the good people of Zamfara can testify to the drastic reduction in the activities of cattle rustlers and other bandits in the state since the Federal Government assembled a 1000-strong military force, comprising the army, air force, police and the civil defence, to launch fierce attacks on the bandits terrorizing the villages and towns of Zamfara State. The situation will continue to improve until the violence has stopped,” Mohammed said.
He warned those bent on exploiting the national fault lines by distorting the narrative to give the killings ethnic and religious colouration.

Maj Gen. Ali, who put the numbers of forests in the country at 3,000, said the a commission had been instituted by the National Security Adviser (NSA) to mop up small arms imported into the country through Niger, Libya and Mauritania.

The Citizen

Recent Posts

Gov. el-Rufai lifts curfew in Kaduna, confirms Buhari’s support for Muslim-Muslim guber ticket

Residents of Kaduna metropolis and environs, are free to go about their businesses at anytime of the day, as the…

4 hours ago

Afenifere, Ohanaeze slam Buhari, Osinbajo over discordant tunes on restructuring, state police

President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Tuesday came under attack over their separate remarks on the growing calls…

4 hours ago

Insurgency: I’ll eliminate Boko Haram completely, says Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday reaffirmed his commitment to ending Boko Haram insurgency, saying he would ensure that the menace…

4 hours ago

Labour unions draw battle line over new minimum wage

Organized Labour has given the Federal Government December deadline to commence payment of the N30,000 new national minimum wage to…

4 hours ago

N5.8bn approval: Osinbajo has case to answer – Reps insist

The House of Representatives Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness has insisted that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has some questions…

4 hours ago

Arms deal: Dasuki vows no further court appearances until bail

A former National Security Adviser, retired Colonel Sambo Dasuki, has written to the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja of…

5 hours ago