TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Boko Haram: Soldiers, vigilante groups, hunters rescue abducted schoolgirls …8 still missing

The Citizen by The Citizen
April 17 2014
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The schoolgirls abducted on Monday night at Chibok, Borno State, have been rescued.

The military, in a statement, said only eight out of the reported 100 abducted girls were still missing.

Military men and local hunters, alongside members of vigilante in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State, on Wednesday, pursued the insurgents in search of the abducted school girls and rescued 80 of them.

This came as the military confirmed that more students of the Government Girls’ Secondary School, Chibok were freed on Wednesday evening in the ongoing  search and rescue operations to free the abducted students.

In a press release signed by Major-General Chris Olukolade, the Director of Defence Information,  the principal of the school confirmed that only eight of the students are still missing.

He also confirmed that one  of the terrorists who carried out the attack on the school has also been captured.

The military intervention and search and rescue operation to ensure the safety of the remaining students is ongoing in the suspected areas.

It was gathered that the insurgents, who had earlier stopped an articulated vehicle loaded with food items in order to take the girls away, got stuck in the bush while they were trying to cross over the muddy area in the bush between Chibok and Askira/Uba.

Father of one of the rescued girls, Malam Ali Iliya, who spoke with newsmen on phone, said “my daughter said when the trailer got stuck, some of the girls began to jump out and run for their lives and she followed suit.

“They were scattered in the bush when the vigilantes and local hunters found them. Some of them were wounded, some were with fracture as a result of jumping from the vehicle, but we are happy our children are rescued. Now, we are praying for those who are still with the Boko Haram and our prayer is that every father would have his child back.”

He said his daughter, Hajara, was sound and healthy but weak as a result of fear, adding that “we are lucky our children were not shot by the insurgents.

“They allowed those who could run to go, but those who could not run, either as a result of fear or wound, were still with them in the bush. My daughter said the abductors were over 100 and that the girls were 243 when they were asked by the insurgent to count themselves.”

He said many of the children who returned home on Wednesday were doing well, adding that “our relations have been calling and some are on their way to Chibok from Maiduguri. Those who are far in Abuja, Lagos and other places have been calling. They have destroyed everything, but those of us who are alive are thankful to God. Our prayers is that this inhumanity would come to an end soon.”

This came as Governor Kashim Shettima, on Wednesday announced an offer of N50 million to anyone that offered useful information leading to the rescue of some female students abducted by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect.

Shettima said a total of 129 final year science students undertaking exams were at the school hostel as of the time of the attack.

He said others were day students, while the rest of the students were on holiday.

He, however, said the exact number of abducted students was yet to be ascertained, but that a register had since been opened for parents and guardians to make formal reports on missing students, adding that 50 complaints by parents and guardians had so far, been documented in the register.

The governor said his government was willing to do everything to ensure that the female students got reunited with their family.

He said he had been in constant touch with the principal of the school and the leaders of Chibok and had got everyone involved in the search for the students.

On how the initial 10 students escaped, the governor said they were asked to be involved in the preparation of meals by the insurgents and they took the opportunity of washing plates to flee the camp.

He said he would have been in Chibok but for security advice, which told him to stay away for now, as search and rescue operations launched by the military and vigilance men were ongoing.

Meanwhile, the schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram were taken to a stronghold of the Islamist group, parents said Wednesday.

“Three girls who escaped and returned to Chibok area briefed locals about the attack at the home of the area’s tribal chief on Wednesday,” said Lawal Zanna, whose daughter was among those abducted.

“The girls told us they were taken to the Konduga district part of Sambisa forest by their captors,” Zanna said, referring to an area where Boko Haram was known to have well-fortified camps.

His account was supported by two other Chibok residents, who asked that their names be withheld.

The girls said they ran after getting permission from the gunmen to use the bathroom and were helped back to Chibok by nomadic herdsmen from the Fulani ethnic group.

Senator Ali Ndume, who represents the region, said the pursuit included soldiers backed by members of a local vigilance force, which formed last year to help fight Boko Haram.

“They are now combing the forest to rescue the school girls,” he told AFP, adding that “they are being aided by surveillance helicopters,” he said, but noted the difficulty of the search in a vast forest that extends to neighbouring Cameroon. – Nigerian Tribune.

Previous Post

External reserves rise to $37.9bn, says CBN

Next Post

Lagos: Funsho Williams was strangled to death – Pathologist

Related Posts

Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students
Headlines

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026
Tinubu orders 24-hour aerial cordon on Kwara, Kebbi, Niger forests
Latest News

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
Latest News

Xenophobia: 83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa Wednesday

August 18 2026
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
Next Post

Lagos: Funsho Williams was strangled to death - Pathologist

Wada dissolves Kogi State cabinet

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

August 18 2026
Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

August 18 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.