TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

NUPENG threatens shutdown over sacked Chevron staff

The Citizen by The Citizen
June 30 2014
in Business, Uncategorized
A A
0

There are fresh indications that the nation’s oil and gas sector might be heading towards another round of strike, as the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, is set to cripple economic activities in five states, following the sack of 154 of its members by Chevron Nigeria Limited, CNL.

The union, while condemning the alleged wrongful dismissal of its members, gave a seven-day ultimatum to Chevron to recall the sacked workers, failure of which would cause industrial action.

At a crucial meeting at the weekend, the Warri zonal council of NUPENG also asked the company to put to an end reported cases of incessant harassment of its members.

Addressing newsmen at the end of the emergency meeting, Warri zonal council chair, Mr. Cogent Ojobor, said the ultimatum would start counting from today.

He said that at the end of the seven-day ultimatum, if the sacked workers were not recalled, the union would services in the five affected states of Edo, Delta, Kogi, Ondo and Ekiti.

Ojobor alleged that, at the last count, no fewer than 154 members of NUPENG members had been fired by CNL, threatening to proceed on strike if the company does not rescind its earlier decision by midnight, July 6.

“We have had several meetings with Chevron. We have been meeting at Federal Ministry of Labour.

“We have tried informal consultations, but their statement, which I know is a lie, is that they have been told by NAPIMS and Ministry of Labour to downsize.

“The company is treating our members like slaves, and at the last count, they have already laid off 154 of our members in Chevron, and the number is growing.

“They said they are downsizing, and I do not know at what size they will reach before they will stop.

“It may interest you to know that one oil and gas worker supports up to seven families,” the union leader said.

While explaining that it had exhausted all peaceful measures to resolve the looming crisis, NUPENG stressed that activities at the Warri Refinery, filling stations, loading depots, Petroleum Training Institute, PTI, and all other oil facilities in the affected states, would be shut down after the expiration of the seven-day notice.

Previous Post

Impeaching Nyako, Deputy best for Adamawa – PDP

Next Post

Police kill kidnap kingpin, others arrested in Aba

Next Post

Police kill kidnap kingpin, others arrested in Aba

Ex-Militants to Jonathan: Contest 2015 election or don’t return home

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.