TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Killings: Danjuma’s self-defence call, evidence of Buhari’s failure – PDP

The Citizen by The Citizen
March 26 2018
in Governance, Headlines
A A
0

…the call an invitation to anarchy, says FG

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Sunday said the call by a former Minister of Defence, Lt. Gen.Theophilus Danjuma (retd.), that Nigerians should defend themselves against killers was a testimony of the “tragic situation which the  Muhammadu Buhari Presidency and the All Progressives Congress (APC) have dragged the nation into.”

Danjuma had, on Saturday at the maiden convocation of the Taraba State University, told Nigerians to defend themselves against killers, saying the Nigerian Armed Forces were not ready to defend them.

He had said, “There is an attempt at ethnic cleansing in the state (Taraba) and of course, some rural states in Nigeria, we must resist it. We must stop it. Everyone of us must rise up. Our armed forces are not neutral. They collude with the bandits to kill people, kill Nigerians… If you are depending on the armed forces to stop the killings, you will all die one by one.”

The PDP spoke in a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan, just as the Federal Government said Danjuma’s statement was an invitation to anarchy.

The opposition party said Danjuma’s statement had justified its stand that the Buhari Presidency and the APC must be held responsible for the agonising state of the nation.

It added that Nigerians were daily suffering because of the alleged failures of “a grossly incompetent leadership and a deceitful ruling party.”

The PDP said the statement coming from an army general, a former Chief of Army Staff and a former defence minister of Danjuma’s status was weighty and “directly reflects the ugly situation in the country under the APC.”

Ologbondiyan said the fact that communities were resorting to self-defence was a clear demonstration that Nigerians across board “have completely lost confidence in President Buhari and the APC.”

He said, “It is instructive to recall that former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Ibrahim Babangida – both former military leaders, army generals and patriots – had earlier raised the issue of continuous bloodletting in our country under the APC and the Buhari presidency.

“Painfully, the APC-controlled Federal Government has not only failed in finding a solution, it is also contending with allegations of conspiracy and acts that are believed to have emboldened attacks against innocent Nigerians.

“Nigerians are no longer feeling secure in their land. Our country has, in close to three years, assumed a status of killing fields where defenceless citizens are despoiled, raped and mowed down by insurgents and marauders in Benue, Taraba, Yobe, Gombe, Kaduna, Adamawa, Borno, Plateau, Nasarawa, Rivers, Enugu, Kogi, among other states.

“Unfortunately, the Federal Government remains aloof and has failed to take decisive steps that will apprehend the masterminds of the carnage.”

The spokesperson for the main opposition party said the country was witnessing what he described as complete government insensitivity.

He also said there were allegations of complicity and compromise of security around soft targets and the dishing out of false information, as was the case in Benue, Yobe, Taraba and other states where Nigerians had come under heavy attacks from marauders under the Buhari administration.

He said, “More intriguing is that the Presidency and the APC Federal Government have refused to clear the air on their roles in the alleged compromise of security in troubled areas, particularly the reported withdrawal of troops from Dapchi prior to the abduction of the schoolgirls.

“Nigerians have also yet to see the action taken by President Buhari against the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, for flouting a presidential order that he should relocate to troubled Benue State in the heat of attacks on the state.

“Similarly, the strange silence of the Federal Government on the alleged importation of military equipment by APC interests in Kogi State remains ominous.

“The fact that we now have a situation where the government confesses to back-channel negotiations with insurgents, hasty offering of amnesty to marauders and killers, allegations of round-tripping in billions of naira on alleged shady ransom payments and swap deals with insurgents, also leaves much to be desired under the current circumstances.

“While we restate our call for a United Nations’ monitored independent inquest into the security situation in our country, we stand with Nigerians in our moment of national despair.”

However, the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, said Danjuma’s comment was “highly uncalled for,” and an invitation to anarchy, asking Nigerians to report any member of the armed forces suspected to be colluding with herdsmen.

Dan-Ali spoke in a statement by his Public Relations Officer, Col. Tukur Gusau.

The statement read in part, “On a recent comment by one of the elder statesmen alleging that the military colludes with bandits to kill people and calling on them to rise and defend themselves, this is highly uncalled for and it is an invitation to anarchy. It should be disregarded by well-meaning Nigerians.

“The Armed Forces are professional in discharging their constitutional mandate. Therefore, if anyone has evidence of wrongdoing or dereliction of duty against our troops, he should bring forward such evidence through the appropriate channels for necessary action.”

Previous Post

Yobe: Police conflicting statements on last Dapchi girl embarrassing – Fayose

Next Post

Fed Govt in ceasefire talks with Boko Haram – Lai Mohammed

Related Posts

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher
Governance

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ
Headlines

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026
Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties
Governance

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

May 22 2026
Tinubu denies Christian, Muslim genocide in Nigeria
Headlines

Pres. Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 22 2026
FG budgets N135bn for 2027 election lawsuits
Headlines

Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 21 2026
Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar
Appointments

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

May 21 2026
Next Post
Boko Haram: Critics of $1bn ECA withdrawal unpatriotic – FG

Fed Govt in ceasefire talks with Boko Haram – Lai Mohammed

INEC: Buhari sends 9 RECs to Senate for confirmation

2018 budget: Taking the bull by the horns - Punch

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

May 22 2026
Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026
Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

May 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.