TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Nigerian lawmakers siphon money using medical outreach, agencies – ICPC alleges

The Citizen by The Citizen
January 30 2022
in Financial Crimes, Headlines
A A
0
NASS joint committee okays N143bn election budget

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has accused senators and members of the House of Representatives of using medical outreach to divert and steal public funds.

Investigations by the commission revealed that most of the federal lawmakers had rechristened their constituency projects as medical outreaches because it was difficult to track the amounts spent on the exercise on account of its fluid nature and the confidentiality of medical records.

The third phase of the ICPC project tracking has monitored various zonal intervention and executive projects valued at over N114.1bn between 2019 and 2020.

The National Assembly had reportedly padded the 2021 budget with over N500bn and also inserted over 1,000 controversial projects in the budget.

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), had proposed N13.08tn, but upon passage, the federal lawmakers used their legislative powers to increase the budget to N13.6tn, an increment of over N500bn.

In the 2022 budget, the lawmakers reduced the provisions for about 10,733 projects and introduced 6,576 new ones totalling N36.59bn for National Assembly’s projects in the Service-Wide Vote.

Buhari had in 2019 lamented that about N1tn had been appropriated in the last 10 years for the constituency projects of federal lawmakers without any impact.

However, the ICPC in the Constituency and Executive Projects Tracking Initiative: Phase 3 Report, said its investigations discovered that less than 50 per cent of funds for the so-called medical outreaches were expended, describing the exercise as a “cesspool of corruption.”

The commission noted that oftentimes, the projects were not executed, but pictures from previous programmes get inserted in the project files and passed off.

It also said the lawmakers often domiciled their medical outreach projects in institutions located in a different city from where the projects were meant to be executed.

It stated, “Evidently because of pressure occasioned by the CEPTi tracking exercise, some legislators have re-characterised most of their projects to what they termed: ‘medical outreach’.

“This is a brand of soft projects involving the provision of various healthcare interventions ranging from creating awareness on diseases, and providing basic drugs to routine basic surgical interventions, which have suddenly taken the lead in project portfolios without many measurable benefits.

“It is difficult to track because of its soft and fluid nature and the traditional confidentiality of medical records. Analysis shows a sudden uptick in the number of such projects, particularly being sponsored by members of the lower chamber. Investigations have discovered that hardly do 50 per cent of the funds released for such projects get expended in the execution of the projects.”

The anti-graft agency found that contractors for the medical projects were carefully chosen and contracts awarded without compliance with due process.

The ICPC operatives discovered that over 20 projects were domiciled in the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Centre, Zaria, Kaduna State.

The report said only N309.7m was disbursed to the contractor for 16 of the 20 projects valued at over N1.2bn.

The commission disclosed that in some cases, the contractors were paid the entire contract sums without the required Bill of Quantity, adding that cash was paid to the Chief Executive of the NTLC, Dr Labaran Shehu, who in turn passed it to the lawmakers.

The ICPC stated, “Investigations found that contractors were deliberately and carefully chosen, and contracts awarded to them without any dint of compliance with due process and asked to reroute the monies in cash to the CEO, Dr Labaran Shehu, who in turn would pass the monies to the sponsors.

“In some of these cases, the contractors were paid the entire sums without a BOQ produced. The contracts were never intended to be executed in the first place.

“The CEO would sometimes inform the contractors that the contracts had been executed on their behalf. The contract value of 16 projects is N1,238,863,500, while the amount already disbursed to contractors amounts to N309,715,875. The said CEO and all found culpable have been cited for prosecution as appropriate.”

The ICPC spokesperson, Mrs Azuka Ogugua, said the commission was enforcing the implementation of the projects, adding, “Our operatives are ensuring that the projects are executed to the letter.”

Findings by the anti-agency also indicate that the Small and Medium Scale Enterprises Development Agency is being used as a conduit to siphon public funds running to billions of naira.

It stated, “A new method of corruption being perpetrated in SMEDAN has been discovered. On all projects for the disbursement of grants, SMEDAN pays the funds through some selected microfinance banks ostensibly to disburse the funds to the beneficiaries and keep proper records.

“The microfinance banks take 2.5 per cent of whatever contract sums as disbursement managers, but investigations revealed that this practice is merely a conduit for corruption as the so-called managers neither disburse nor manage anything, but take 2.5 per cent for doing nothing.”

It was gathered that a microfinance bank in Katsina State was selected as the manager for the disbursement of funds to be made in Bayelsa or Nasarawa State.

The commission explained that it discovered that over 58 of such projects running into billions of naira in SMEDAN’s 2020 budget alone.

The agency’s spokesman, Ibrahim Mohammed, could not be reached for comment on Friday as calls to his line indicated that it was unavailable. He had yet to respond to an SMS seeking his comment on the ICPC indictment as of the time of filing this story.

Previous Post

FG pays $194m for Port Harcourt refinery rehabilitation, plans additional $98m, N17.2bn

Next Post

Elections: NASS hits candidates, parties with campaign spending limit

Related Posts

Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers
Headlines

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
93 percent of inmates are state offenders, half don’t need jail — Interior Minister
Headlines

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21 2026
US Congress okays bill to cut foreign aid to Nigeria
Headlines

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

August 21 2026
NDLEA intercepts Europe-bound cocaine consignments
Financial Crimes

NDLEA opposes bail for 10 in N480bn Ogun meth lab

August 21 2026
DSS rejects foreign funding for proposed security trust fund
Headlines

DSS alerts Sokoto as terrorists target tertiary institutions

August 21 2026
Governance

States get special N435bn for security, infrastructure

August 21 2026
Next Post
Elections: NASS hits candidates, parties with campaign spending limit

Elections: NASS hits candidates, parties with campaign spending limit

2023: I told Atiku he’s old, tired to lead Nigeria – Bauchi governor

2023: I told Atiku he’s old, tired to lead Nigeria – Bauchi governor

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.