TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Presidential poll: Tinubu to open defence June 30 as Atiku, Obi close case Friday

The Citizen by The Citizen
June 21 2023
in Latest News, Politics
A A
0
Presidential poll: Legal battle begins Monday as tribunal hears petitions

President Bola Tinubu, will on June 30, open his defence to all the petitions that are seeking to sack him from office.

This came to light as the Presidential Election Petition Court, PEPC, sitting in Abuja, disclosed that all the three petitioners before it, would close their case on Friday.

Those challenging the declaration of Tinubu of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, as winner of the presidential election that held on February 25, are; a former Vice President and candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, candidate of the Labour Party, LP, Mr. Peter Obi, as well as the Allied Peoples Movement, APM.
While Atiku and Obi are separately claiming that they won the presidential contest, on the other hand, the APM, is praying the court to void all the votes that were scored by Tinubu “in view of his non-qualification.”

 

APM argued that the withdrawal of Mr. Ibrahim Masari, who was initially nominated as the Vice-Presidential candidate of the APC, invalidated Tinubu’s candidacy in view of Section 131(c) and 142 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended.

All petitioners are seeking the withdrawal of the Certificate of Return that was issued to Tinubu by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

Meanwhile, whereas Atiku, through his team of lawyers led by Chief Chris Uche, SAN, told the court that he would call a total of 100 witnesses to prove his case, Obi, said he would call 50 witnesses while the APM, which said its case was based on documentary evidence, said it would call only one witness to substantiate its case.

The Justice Haruna Tsammani-led five-member panel had on May 23, consolidated all the petitions, even as it gave the litigants a period of three weeks to present their cases.

Meanwhile, though on the strenght of a pre-hearing report that was issued by the panel, the petitioners were supposed to close their case on Tuesday, however, the court extended the period by two more days.

Already, Atiku has called a total of 25 witnesses, while Obi, has so far called only seven witnesses and tendered many documentary exhibits before the court.

When the matter came up on Tuesday, Atiku’s lawyer, Uche, SAN, told the court that his client may call five more witnesses to have a round figure of 30 witnesses.

He stressed that some of the documents they seek to tender in the remaining days available to the petitioners, would take care of evidence of the remaining 70 witnesses.

Nevertheless, Uche, SAN, lamented that in spite of the spirit of cooperation that the court had appealed for, INEC, still made it difficult for his client to get Certified True Copies, CTC, of documents he requested for.

According to him, getting documents from INEC was like demanding for weapons from an opponent in a war, adding that his client requested for Form EC8A series, which is polling unit results for all 36 states and the FCT but had gotten only 14 batches so far.

He told the court that the forms INEC made available to his team were equally not properly sorted out.

Even though the court initially stood down the matter for 10 minutes to allow for the sorting out of the documents, however, when the proceedings resumed, Atiku’s lawyer persuaded the court to adjourn the case to Wednesday to enable his team to prepare a schedule for ease of identification of the documents to be tendered in evidence.

Meantime, in Obi’s case, the panel gave INEC, President Tinubu and the APC the nod to cross-examine his 7th witness, Mpeh Clarita Ogar, who told the court that she works with Amazon Web Services, AWS, Incorporated, which INEC engaged to provide technical support to it during the general elections.

The witness had in her evidence-in-chief, insisted that contrary to INEC’s claim, that there was no technical glitch in the country on February 25 when the presidential election held.

Her evidence countered INEC’s position that its inability to electronically transmit results of the presidential poll to its viewing portal, in real time, using the Bimodal Voter Accreditation, BVAS, machines, was owing to technical glitches it experienced on the election day.

However, while being cross examined by the Respondents on Tuesday, the witness, admitted that she was not sent to the court by Amazon.

Ogar further admitted to the court that contested House of Representatives election for Yala/Ogoja Federal Constituency in the 2023 general elections under Labour Party and lost.

Though the witness insisted that the last time Amazon experienced a technical glitch in its services was on December 10, 2021, she told the court that in the same year, AWS was reported to have suffered more than 21 outages.

Asked if it was not within the realm of common sense that if such glitch occurred before that it could happen again, the witness, said: “Anything is possible. But with the report I produced before this court, there was no such glitch on the AWS service on February 25.”

While being cross examined by President Tinubu’s lawyer, Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN, the witness, said she had prior to the general elections, sued INEC over her inability to upload her details to its server which she said “crashed”.

Shortly after the witness was discharged from the box, Obi’s lead counsel, Dr. Livy Uzoukwu, SAN, told the panel that the bailiff successfully served two subpoenas dated May 30 and June 13, on INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmoud Yakubu, on Monday, after many failed attempts.

He told the court that the INEC Chairman sent a representative to tender some of the requested documents in evidence.

On the prompting of the court, the INEC’s representative, Mrs Moronkenji Olufimulayo Tairu, mounted the witness box.

She identified herself as a Deputy Director, Certification & Complaints, Legal Drafting and Clearance Department at the INEC headquarters in Abuja.

The witness said she was in court with respect to the subpoena dated May 30, adding that someone from the ICT department of the Commission would present documents that were requested for in the second subpoena.

She told the court that while some documents that Obi requested for “are not in existence”, others could not be easily assembled owing to logistics reasons as they are in various states of the federation.

“We have to send messages to our staff members in the states to get them ready. We were only served with the subpoena yesterday.

“However, we came with two of the requested documents, which are listed in paragraphs R and S. The two documents are INEC’s Manual for election officials and INEC’s Regulations for the conduct of the 2023 general elections. It will take us throughout the week to get the other documents,” the witness added.

Her submissions angered Obi’s lawyer who accused INEC of deliberately frustrating the case.

Uzoukwu, SAN, told the court that INEC Chairman refused to receive copies of the subpoena from the bailiff.

On his part, INEC’s lawyer, Mr. Abubakar Mahmoud, SAN, drew attention of the court to Section 74 of the Electoral Act, which he said mad it clear that an application for such requested documents should be made to Resident Electoral Commissioners, RECs, in all the states.

Responding, Obi’s lawyer told the court that the INEC Chairman had on many occasions he held a meeting with the petitioners, assured them that he would make all the requested electoral materials available.

“We also sent lawyers with necessary applications to the states. At the states, we got some documents, but the RECs said they would not release other requested documents without authorization from the headquarters.

“They told us to go to Abuja. At a point, Secretary of the Commission told them not to release the documents unless they were authorised to do so.

“My application is that INEC having been served with the subpoena yesterday, that this court should order them to produce the documents tomorrow. They created this situation when they refused to accept the subpoena since May 30,” Obi’s lawyer insisted.

However, members of the panel intervened by blaming the petitioners’ legal team for relying on assurances from INEC Chairman instead of writing formally to the RECs as required by the law.

The panel said it would have wielded the big stick against any REC the refused to produce the needed documents, assuming the petitioners followed the provisions of the Electoral Act in making their demands.

“Truth be told, you left the provisions of the law and pursued something else. There is nothing before us to show that the application was made to the RECs. We are not here to play by sentiments,” a member of the panel chided Uzoukwu, SAN.

Meanwhile, Mr. Lawrence Bayode, a Deputy Director of ICT Department of INEC, who also appeared based on the second subpoena on the Chairman of the Commission, told the court that he brought two out of five documents the petitioners requested for.

The Justice Tsammani-led panel adjourned further hearing on the petitions till Wednesday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Previous Post

Tinubu has started well as Nigeria’s President – Bode George

Next Post

Just in: EFCC releases ex-Gov Ortom after 10 hours grill

Related Posts

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns
Headlines

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns

August 20 2026
Man commits suicide in Ibadan over N.3m debt
Latest News

FG approves amendment to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 20 2026
Osun: Davido was target of Osogbo convoy attack – Police
Headlines

Osun: Davido was target of Osogbo convoy attack – Police

August 20 2026
2027: My replacement not because of Supreme Court verdict — Kebbi Deputy Governor
Politics

2027: My replacement not because of Supreme Court verdict — Kebbi Deputy Governor

August 20 2026
83 Nigerians return from South Africa
Latest News

83 Nigerians return from South Africa

August 20 2026
BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
Headlines

Osun: Police confirm one death in Osogbo gunfire

August 20 2026
Next Post
PDP crisis: Ortom denies support for Ayu, reaffirms ties with Wike

Just in: EFCC releases ex-Gov Ortom after 10 hours grill

I feel like a tiger ready to devour criminals — Acting IGP Egbetokun

I feel like a tiger ready to devour criminals — Acting IGP Egbetokun

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20 2026
Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

August 20 2026
Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
Super Eagles bow 1-2 to Algeria in friendly

Senate summons NFF, NSC over Nigeria’s football crises

August 20 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.