TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

The Editor by The Editor
August 18 2026
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students

At least 28 people, including the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, were reportedly killed when bandits attacked Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State on Sunday evening.

The attack came amid renewed security concerns in Kebbe, where communities have recently faced threats from armed groups allegedly linked to the Lakurawa terrorist organisation.

Confirming the incident, the spokesman of the command, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said it was difficult to ascertain the actual number of victims.

He, however, said no fewer than 28 corpses were recovered in the aftermath of the incident.

Residents said the attackers invaded Ungushi in the evening and opened fire on residents, killing 22 people, mostly civilians.

The killing of Imam Aliyu, a respected religious leader in the community, has particularly shocked residents, who said the victims included farmers, traders, religious leaders and other members of the community.

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said, “These are ordinary people. They are farmers, traders, religious leaders and family members. They have done nothing to deserve this.”

Another source said the attack had heightened fear among residents, with some families fleeing their homes following reports of fresh displacement from neighbouring communities.

“People are no longer sleeping peacefully. Families are leaving their homes because they fear another attack. We need urgent intervention before more communities are deserted,” the source said.

The latest killings followed reports on Friday that a large number of armed men on motorcycles had entered parts of Kebbe LGA, allegedly attacking residents, looting shops and damaging property.

The Sokoto State Police Command confirmed that an incident occurred in the area but said it was still gathering information before issuing a detailed statement.

Amid the renewed threats, the General Officer Commanding, 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Maj Gen Bemgba Koughna, visited the Forward Operating Base, Kebbe, on Sunday, to assess the security situation and reassure residents of the readiness of troops to confront the threats.

Koughna also met community leaders and residents, listened to their concerns and reviewed the security situation in the area.

He said the Nigerian Army had adjusted its security architecture to prevent further infiltration by terrorists and protect vulnerable communities.

“Troops remain fully deployed, highly alert and operationally focused on protecting lives and property,” the GOC said.

He added that measures had been put in place to ensure emerging threats were quickly identified and contained before they escalated.

“The Nigerian Army remains unwavering in its determination to respond swiftly and decisively to any emerging threats,” Koughna said.

The Army chief assured residents that terrorist elements would not be allowed to establish safe havens in Kebbe and its surrounding communities.

“We will continue to maintain a robust presence in this area and ensure that our troops remain ready to respond to any threat to the peace and security of the people,” he said.

Koughna urged residents not to panic and appealed for stronger collaboration between the military and communities, particularly through timely sharing of credible intelligence.

“Community support remains a critical component in detecting, disrupting and dismantling terrorist networks before they can launch attacks,” he said.

He urged community leaders and residents to report suspicious movements, unfamiliar persons and other activities that could pose security threats.

The GOC reiterated the commitment of troops to protecting lives, property and critical infrastructure in Kebbe and other vulnerable communities within the operational area.

“We will not allow criminal elements to intimidate our people or disrupt their livelihoods. Our troops are prepared and will continue to operate with determination and professionalism,” he said.

Residents, however, called for sustained military presence and intelligence-led operations to prevent further attacks and restore confidence in the affected communities.

A community leader said continued attacks were disrupting social and economic activities in the area.

“People cannot farm, children are afraid to go to school, and families are abandoning their homes. If nothing is done urgently, we may witness the complete displacement of these communities,” he said.

The Army’s operational assessment formed part of ongoing efforts to strengthen security around Kebbe and other vulnerable communities following recent incidents in the area.

The visit was disclosed in a statement issued on Sunday by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army and Sector 2, Operation Fansan Yamma, Lt Col Olaniyi Osoba.

Killings must stop – Atiku

The former Vice-President and presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, Atiku Abubakar, has urged the Federal Government to move beyond condolence messages and take decisive action to prevent further killings.

In a statement on Monday on his verified X account, he described the victims as innocent Nigerians whose deaths had further highlighted the worsening insecurity across the country.

“I am devastated by the killing of 32 innocent Nigerians in Ungushi community, Kebbe LGA of Sokoto State,” he said.

He expressed sympathy with the bereaved families and residents of Sokoto State, praying for the repose of the deceased and strength for their loved ones.

“My heart goes out to the bereaved families and the people of Sokoto State. May Allah forgive the departed and give their loved ones the strength to endure this unbearable loss,” he said.

The former Vice President, however, said condolences from government officials were no longer sufficient in the face of recurring attacks and killings across the country.

“But condolences are no longer enough. How many more Nigerians must be slaughtered before this government treats the protection of human life as an emergency?” he asked.

Atiku said the frequency of such attacks was alarming, warning that the government must not become comfortable with issuing statements after every massacre without taking effective measures to protect citizens.

“These killings have become frighteningly recurrent, and a government that cannot protect its citizens must not become comfortable issuing statements after every massacre,” he said.

He called on the Federal Government to strengthen intelligence gathering, secure vulnerable communities and ensure that those responsible for the killings were arrested and prosecuted.

“The Federal Government must move from condolences to action: strengthen intelligence, secure vulnerable communities and bring the perpetrators to justice,” Atiku said.

He stressed that the primary responsibility of the government was to protect the lives and property of citizens, adding that Nigerians should not continue to bury their loved ones while those entrusted with their security offered excuses.

“The first duty of government is to protect life. Nigerians cannot continue to bury their loved ones while those entrusted with their security offer excuses,” he said.

Atiku prayed for peace in Sokoto State and across the country, urging the government to take urgent measures to prevent further loss of lives.

“May Allah comfort Sokoto and restore peace to our nation,” he added.

Previous Post

Osun: We must remember those who died for democracy, says Peter Obi

Next Post

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Related Posts

Tinubu orders 24-hour aerial cordon on Kwara, Kebbi, Niger forests
Latest News

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
Latest News

Xenophobia: 83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa Wednesday

August 18 2026
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs
Headlines

BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs

August 16 2026
Next Post
Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

August 18 2026
Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

August 18 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.