TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Nyanya bombing: Ogwuche, 5 others arraigned, as Court refuses to remand suspects in prison

The Citizen by The Citizen
March 7 2015
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The alleged mastermind of the April 14 bomb blast that killed over 75 persons at a crowded motor park in Nyanya Abuja, Aminu Ogwuche and five others were yesterday arraigned before Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja

The Judge refused to remand the suspects in prison but instead ordered that suspects should remain in the custody of the Department of State Services, DSS, pending the determination of the case against them.

The other accused persons charged along with Oguche yesterday were Ahmad Rufai Abubakar (a.k.a Abu Ibrahim/Maiturare); Mohammed Sani Ishaq, Ya’u Saidu (a.k.a Kofar Rama), Anas Isah, Adamu Yusuf and Nasiru Abubakar.

The court order was sequel to an application by the Director of Public Prosecution, DPP, Mr. Mohammed Diri, urging the court to allow the accused persons to be detained in DSS cell in view of recurring cases of jail break in the country.

The application was vehemently opposed by all the defence lawyers led by Mr. Ahmed Raji. SAN, who contended that keeping the accused persons with the DSS would amount to a further breach of their right to fair trial.

Raji maintained that since the DSS earlier told the court through an affidavit that it had concluded investigations on the matter, and since the accused persons took their pleas yesterday, the prison was the appropriate place to send them to.

“My lord the accused persons are even entitled to bail but for the sake of ensuring speedy hearing of this case we decided not to press for it. I submit that it will be oppressive for a prosecuting agency to retain custody of accused persons after they have been charged and plea taken. Otherwise, trial will not be fair especially, when the DSS has said that it has concluded its investigations.

“On his allusion of jail break, the Kuje Prison has never recorded attempted jail break. It is the DSS cell that has witnessed such attempt. I urge this court in the interest of fair trial to remand the accused persons in Kuje Prisons,” he pleaded.

In his ruling, Justice Mohammed relied on the provision of section 27(1) of the Terrorism Prevention Act, TPA, 2013, and remanded all the accused persons in DSS custody.

Besides, he gave the Federal Government the nod to open its case on March 17 and 18.

The DPP said yesterday that he would apply for a witness protection order.

Meanwhile, the six accused persons took turns and pleaded not guilty to an eight-count terrorism charge preferred against them by the government.

The prosecution had earlier told the court that security agencies were unable to apprehend one Ahmed Rufai (a.k.a Dr Tsiga), who he said was also involved in the terrorist act, but currently at large.

Specifically, the accused persons were alleged to have conspired to commit an act of terrorism by driving a Volkswagen golf car laden with Improvised Explosives Devices, IEDs, which they parked at the motor park before it was later detonated, killing about 75 innocent persons with many others sustaining various degrees of injuries even as property worth millions of Naira were destroyed.

They were said to have on or about the month of July, 2014, at Abuja, professed to be members of a terrorist group known as “Jama’atu Ahli Sunnah lil Da’awati wal Jihad” (also known as Boko Haram), as well as having information about the terrorist attack but failed to disclose same to law enforcement officers.

Ogwuche was said to have given various sums of money at different times and places within Abuja metropolis to widows of late Boko Haram members, as well as, accompanying Dr Tsiga, now at large to carry out surveillance, where they were said to have identified Silver bird galleria and other locations as potential targets of terrorist attack sometimes in 2013 .

Justice Ademola Adeniyi of the same high court had on November 24, 2014, struck out an initial three-court charge against Ogwuche by the Nigerian Police Force.

The charge was used by Federal Government to secure Oguche’s extradition from Khartoum, Sudan, on July 15, 2014, through the help of the Interpol.

The fresh charge against them read: “That you Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche male, 29, of 9 T.O.S Benson Crescent Utako, Abuja; Ahmed Rufai Abubakar (aka Maiturare), male, 43, of Numbun Kwana, Gwantu, Sanga LGA, Kaduna State; Mohammed Sani Ishaq, male, 30, of Balare Ajingi LGA, Kano State, and Ahmed Rufai Abubakar (aka Dr Tsiga) on or about April 14, 2014 at Nasiru El-Rufai Park, Nyanya, Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, conspired to commit an act of terrorism by driving a Volkswagen golf car laden with IEDs and parking same at the motor park which was later detonated and killed about 75 innocent persons and many others… thereby committing an offence contrary to Section 17 of the Terrorism (Prevention)(Amendment) Act 2013 and punishable under the same section of the Act.

“That Ahmed Rufai Abubakar (aka Maiturare), male, 43, of Numbun Kwana, Gwantu, Sanga LGA, Kaduna state, and Ahmed Rufai Abubakar (aka Dr Tsiga) (now at large) on or about 14th April, 2014 at Nasiru El-Rufai Park, Nyanya, Abuja within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, committed an act of terrorism by driving a Volkswagen golf car laden with improvised explosives devices and park same at the motor park which was later detonated and killed about 75 innocent persons and many others sustained various degrees of injuries as well as destroying properties, you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 1 (2) (a) of Terrorism (Prevention)(Amendment) Act 2013 and punishable under the same Section of the Act.

“That you Sadiq Ogwuche male, 29, of 9 T.O.S Benson Crescent Utako, Abuja, sometimes in 2013 at Abuja within the jurisdiction of this honourable court did knowingly directly gave various sums of money at different time and places within Abuja metropolis to the widows of members of the terrorists organisation known as Boko Haram and you thereby rendered support to terrorist group which is an offence contrary to section 5(b) of Terrorism (prevention) (Amendment) Act 2013 and punishable under the same section of the Act.

“That you Sadiq Ogwuche male, 29, of 9 T.O.S Benson Crescent Utako, Abuja and Ahmed Rufai Abubakar (a.k.a. Dr Tsiga, now at large) on or about the year 2013 at Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court did carry out surveillance and identified Silver Bird Galleria and other locations as potential targets of terrorist attack, thereby committing an offence contrary to Section 1(2) (b) of Terrorism (Prevention) (Amendment) Act 2013 and punishable under the same section of the Act.

Previous Post

Jonathan lays foundation stone of new Chibok School

Next Post

…Groups endorse president in Kano

Related Posts

Pep Guardiola quits Man City
Latest News

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde
Governance

Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde

May 18 2026
FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians
Business

FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians

May 18 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
Latest News

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18 2026
BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria
Headlines

BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria

May 18 2026
Next Post

…Groups endorse president in Kano

2015 election: Oba of Benin did not endorse any candidate – Ruling Council

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026
Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

May 18 2026
Uzodimma defeats Okorocha in Imo APC senatorial primary

Uzodimma defeats Okorocha in Imo APC senatorial primary

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.