TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Jet scandal: Judge denies issuing order to stop Diezani’s probe …summons Reps to court to ‘clear the air’

The Citizen by The Citizen
April 30 2014
in Governance, Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court, Abuja  on Tuesday denied claims by the House of Representatives that he issued an order stopping investigations into the  allegations that Petroleum Resources Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, spent N10bn to charter a private jet  for her trips in the last two years.

The  judge therefore summoned the House to appear before the court on May 5 to “clear the air” on the  issue.

The spokesman for  the House of Representatives, Zakari Mohammed, had at a news conference  on Monday, announced that the House had received a court order  stopping  the Public Accounts Committee from going ahead with the probe.

However, when the case came up for hearing on Tuesday, the obviously angry judge  expressed shock at media reports that he had issued an interim injunction  stopping  the investigation.

Mohammed initially blamed journalists for the ‘misinformation’ before he was informed that it  emanated from Mohammed.

To set the records straight, the judge adjourned the hearing and ordered the House to appear before the court on May 5 to explain where such order came from.

The  House which is the 2nd defendant in the suit  was not represented by any lawyer during Tuesday’s proceedings.

But the  counsel  for  the National Assembly,   Y. C. Maikyau (SAN),   was present in court, alongside Etigwe Uwa (SAN), the   counsel  for  the plaintiffs – Alison-Madueke  and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

In a short ruling after both counsel had exonerated themselves from the report on the court order, the judge   said, “I have seen a press release in the media said to have been issued by the House of Representatives that this court has made an order restraining the House   from continuing with the probe.

“As far as I am concerned, and as the judge presiding over this case, no such order was made.”

Mohammed  also noted that he only ordered the defendants – the National Assembly and the House – to be put on notice after the plaintiffs’ counsel moved an ex parte motion praying for an order of interim injunction to restrain the House from summoning the minister.

He said, “This court in a ruling directed the defendants to appear in this court on  April 17 and show cause why the interim order should not be made.

“On  April 17, the  plaintiffs’ counsel informed the court that processes have not been served on the defendants owing to the Nyanya bomb blast and the court adjourned till today (Tuesday,  April 29).

“As the press release was issued by the House which is the 2nd defendant in this suit, and as the House is not represented in court today, the only fair thing to do is to adjourn this matter and issue the House with a hearing notice to appear before the court and clear the air on whether it had been served with a restraining order issued by this court.”

The Director, Legal Services  of the House of Representatives, is expected to appear before the court on May 5 to shed light on the false court order.

Earlier, counsel  for  the plaintiffs  had washed his hands off  the development.

The judge had wondered whether the plaintiffs’ counsel was behind the misinformation but Uwa spiritedly professed his innocence, laying the blame on the House.

“The press release was circulated to media houses by the House ,” he said.

Maikyau also  distanced himself from the alleged restraining order but went ahead  to apologise on behalf of the Director of Legal Services.

“There is no report that it was the Director of Legal Services of the National Assembly that was behind such information – I apologise,” he said.

He noted that it was strange that the report on the order was released on Monday, several days after the court   directed the defendants to appear before it to show cause why the relief sought by the plaintiffs should not be granted.

“I knew that something was wrong because that order (to appear before the court) has been subsisting since April 14 and if any other order was made on April 17,  it would have been published since,” Maikyau added.

In the suit, Alison-Madueke wants the court to make an order of interim injunction restraining the National Assembly and the House   “whether by themselves, their members, committees or agents from summoning or directing the appearance of the applicants before any committee particularly the Public Accounts Committee set up by the House  …”

The minister also asked  the court to stop the committee from asking her or any official of the ministry or the NNPC to produce any papers, notes or other documents or give any evidence in line with a letter from the House   dated March 26, 2014, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.

She  also asked for an order of interim injunction restraining the National Assembly and the House   from issuing a warrant to compel her attendance, or the attendance of any official of the ministry or the NNPC, with regard to the investigation.

Meanwhile, the  Speaker,   Aminu Tambuwal,  has said   that the House had resolved to seek a legal opinion on Madueke’s  decision  to sue the legislature over the investigation.

Tambuwal clarified the stance of the House  shortly after the judge  denied issuing the reported order.

He said when he was briefed on the issue on Monday, his first reaction was to advise the Committee on Public Accounts to tarry awhile to enable the House to get the true picture of things.

Tambuwal spoke at Tuesday’s pleanary as some members complained that the Judiciary was interfering with the work of the legislature.

They had  observed that this conflicted with the provisions of Sections 88/89 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), which empowers  the National Assembly to investigate any official or agency of government for the purpose of exposing corruption.

Tambuwal said, “My attention was drawn to the matter that the minister, the NNPC and other stakeholders had gone to court.

“I immediately sought for consultations. The result of my consultations is to seek formal legal opinion on the status of the action, not necessarily because as a lawyer myself, I do not know the position of the law.” – Punch.

Previous Post

Jonathan sacks Gulak as political adviser

Next Post

Enugu Lawmakers appeal to Chime to pay outstanding allowances

Related Posts

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher
Governance

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ
Headlines

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026
Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties
Governance

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

May 22 2026
Tinubu denies Christian, Muslim genocide in Nigeria
Headlines

Pres. Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 22 2026
FG budgets N135bn for 2027 election lawsuits
Headlines

Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 21 2026
Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar
Appointments

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

May 21 2026
Next Post

Enugu Lawmakers appeal to Chime to pay outstanding allowances

Eko Electricity proposes $150m new investments on electricity infrastructure

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
APC waives primaries screening for Tinubu

Tinubu wins APC presidential primary with 10.9m votes

May 24 2026
Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

May 22 2026
Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.