TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

NAPTIP launches manhunt for nude trade syndicate

The Editor by The Editor
June 1 2025
in Human Interest
A A
0
NAPTIP launches manhunt for nude trade syndicate

Director-General of NAPTIP, Binta Adamu Bello

The PUNCH Newspaper’s two-part investigative report uncovering a child pornography ring on X (formerly Twitter) has continued to spur strong reactions and action.

The exposé, which revealed how underage Nigerian boys were lured, groomed, and sexually exploited for profit, has prompted swift action from multiple government agencies and sparked a coordinated manhunt for the perpetrators.

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NATIP), which is at the centre of Nigeria’s anti-trafficking and exploitation efforts, has launched a full-scale investigation, vowing to bring all culprits to justice.

Head of NAPTIP’s Cybercrime Response Team, Mr Titus Ngamariju, told Sunday PUNCH that the agency had already begun tracking the individual (s) behind the now-suspended X account.

“It’s too late for whoever is behind that account,” Ngamariju said. “We have launched an investigation, and the Director-General herself is personally interested in the case. He must be caught and brought to book.

“We will work sharply to make sure that man is nabbed and made to face the music for the crimes he has committed. The kids also need to be counselled, and we will work closely with the Ministry of Women Affairs to see how we can take care of their emotional and psychological welfare.”

Also reacting, Mr Tahir Hassan, Special Adviser to the Director-General of NAPTIP, Binta Adamu Bello, commended PUNCH for the depth and diligence of the investigative series, emphasising that it exemplified the role of journalism in safeguarding vulnerable populations.

“Thank you so much for your investigation. This is what journalism is all about, and I appreciate PUNCH for exposing this cybercrime ring exploiting these young boys.

“You have uncovered quite a lot, and I am particularly happy about the lengths you went to get the information on the criminal involved in the sale of these pornographic pictures and videos,” Hassan said.

He disclosed that NAPTIP was already collaborating with other key agencies to dismantle the network.

“We are doing a lot to end this menace. You know it is a relatively new trend. For this purpose, NAPTIP, INTERPOL, the Ministry of Justice, and EFCC, have established what we call the CyberCrime Joint Team.

“Last week, it was inaugurated by the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN). The membership was drawn from NAPTIP, Police, EFCC, and the Office of the National Security Adviser. It is a 15-member committee headed by the Solicitor-General of the Federation.

“We will go after this syndicate, I assure you. Let’s all put our hands together to stamp out these cybercrime offences on our Internet and keep our children safe,” he said.

Also weighing in on the investigation was the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs, which pledged its commitment to the psychological recovery of the victims involved.

Spokesperson for the Ministry, Mr Jonathan Eze, said the Minister, Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim, was keenly following the case.

“The Minister of Women Affairs, Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim, is aware of this investigation and appreciates PUNCH for the discovery. She will follow up with NAPTIP to make sure the culprits are brought to book. As a former Director-General of NAPTIP, she is particularly interested in the welfare of the kids in question,” he said.

While noting that the ministry does not have prosecutorial powers, Eze said its mandate to develop policies for Nigerian women and children was being fully executed.

“The core thing we have done since we came on board in October 2024 was to take a second look at the Child Rights Act. The document has not been revised for 18 years, so the Minister set up a committee of technocrats, civil society organisations, and directors of the Ministry to sit down and review it to align with modern realities.

“The committee is working on it, and the outcome will be made known when they are done. Most times, we go beyond what our mandate asks us to do. We have done some empowerment for victims of domestic violence and child abuse. It is the duty of the state ministries of women affairs to take charge of cases of child abuse in their respective states,” he said.

According to Eze, the ministry is also particularly invested in ensuring that the boys featured in the exposé receive comprehensive rehabilitation.

“The Ministry is interested in the emotional welfare of the abused boys fingered in the PUNCH investigation and promises to follow up to make sure the children are rehabilitated and reoriented,” he assured.

The Nigeria Police Force also acknowledged the PUNCH report and promised prompt action.

The Personal Assistant to the Force Public Relations Officer, DSP A. A. Tana, in an emailed response, wrote, “Your report has been received and will be escalated appropriately for necessary and prompt action, please.”

Meanwhile, the Executive Secretary and Chief Executive Officer of the National Film and Video Censors Board, Dr Shaibu Husseini, in a statement via email, commended the reporter for his persistence and boldness in exposing such a dangerous syndicate.

“We wish to extend our sincere appreciation and gratitude to you for your prompt action in reporting the nefarious activities of the syndicate that advertise for sale child sexual abuse material in blatant disregard of the laws of the land.

“We would like to assure you that the NFVCB has already contacted relevant cybercrime security agencies and forwarded the information, and would like to assure you that we will update you accordingly,” Husseini stated.

Sunday PUNCH had earlier reported that following the investigation, X, the platform where the explicit materials were being traded, took swift action by suspending the account permanently.

In a statement to PUNCH, the microblogging giant noted that it had a zero-tolerance policy for child sexual exploitation and would continue to improve its detection and enforcement mechanisms.

“We have permanently taken down the account flagged in your report. We do not tolerate any form of child sexual exploitation on X. We are strengthening our proactive measures to detect and remove such content and accounts across the platform,” part of the response read.

Previous Post

FRSC blames speeding for death of 21 Kano athletes

Next Post

Patience Jonathan bags PhD, urges Nigerians to embrace lifelong learning

Related Posts

12 persons test positive to HIV, cervical cancer at Lagos medical outreach
Human Interest

Oyo to tackle HIV with data, begins surveillance survey training

August 20 2026
Sanwo-Olu gifts LASU best graduating students N20m each
Human Interest

Sanwo-Olu gifts LASU best graduating students N20m each

August 19 2026
US ends temporary protection for 4 African countries
Human Interest

US ends temporary protection for 4 African countries

August 18 2026
10,000 persons benefit from NNPC/Shell Vision First initiative as Badagry hosts latest outreach
Human Interest

10,000 persons benefit from NNPC/Shell Vision First initiative as Badagry hosts latest outreach

August 12 2026
2027: Court sacks Ondo Rep as APC candidate
Human Interest

FG files fresh charge against Abuja doctor over IVF fraud

August 10 2026
Father-in-law locks out 28-year-old widow eight days after husband’s death
Human Interest

Father-in-law locks out 28-year-old widow eight days after husband’s death

July 29 2026
Next Post
Patience Jonathan bags PhD, urges Nigerians to embrace lifelong learning

Patience Jonathan bags PhD, urges Nigerians to embrace lifelong learning

LASG promises to deliver Opebi-Ojota Link Bridge project in June 2023

Lagos plans reintroduction of monthly sanitation exercise

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.