TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Arms deal: EFCC charges Dokpesi with money laundering, others …Court adjourns Dasuki’s trial till Jan. 20

The Citizen by The Citizen
December 9 2015
in Financial Crimes, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has preferred six counts of money laundering and procurement-related charges involving N2.1bn against the former Chairman of DAAR Communications Plc, Chief Raymond Dokpesi.

The suit, containing the charges, numbered FHC/ABJ/CR/380/2015, was filed before a Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday.

Dokpesi and a subsidiary of Daar Communications, Daar Investment and Holding Limited, are the two defendants.

The charges arose from the N2.1bn the defendants allegedly collected from the Office of the former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).

The EFCC had arrested Dokpesi following an investigation into the interim report of a presidential committee on the procurement of arms and equipment for the Armed Forces and the defence sector from 2007 to date.

Dokpesi had, however, in a statement, said the money he collected from the NSA’s office was meant for publicity and media campaigns during the 2015 general elections, describing it as a contractual transaction.

In the charges, sighted by our correspondent on Tuesday, the prosecution said Dokpesi and his company had, by the deal, violated the provisions of the EFCC Act, Public Procurement Act and Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act.

The case, as of the time of filing this report on Tuesday, had not been assigned to a judge but our correspondent learnt that the arraignment of the defendants might take place before the end of this week.

Justice Gabriel Kolawole of the same Federal High Court in Abuja had on December 4, asked the EFCC to produce Dokpesi in court on December 14.

The judge made the order in his ruling on an ex parte application filed by Dokpesi’s lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN).

The proceedings, during which the judge granted the order on Friday, held in the judge’s chambers and not in the open court.

Ozekhome, who informed journalists of the outcome of the proceedings, said the judge also ordered the EFCC to appear in court to show cause why he should not grant Dokpesi’s prayer for unconditional or conditional bail.

The senior advocate had argued that his client had been unlawfully detained by the EFCC beyond 48 hours.

Dokpesi, through his lawyer, had in the application, prayed for an order compelling the EFCC to produce him in its custody “or any other place of detention before this court on the date this application comes up for hearing”.

He also sought “an order admitting the applicant to bail on self-recognition or on such favourable and liberal terms as this court may deem fit to make in the circumstances of this case, pending the formal arraignment of the applicant before a court of law.”

His prayers were anchored on the grounds that no charges had been formally instituted against him over 48 hours after his detention.

The applicant said he honoured a verbal invitation from officials of the EFCC on December 1 and had been detained since then after subjecting him to hours of “unprepared interrogation.”

He argued that the offences alleged against him “are ordinarily bailable.”

Meanwhile, a Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday adjourned hearing in the trial of former National Security Adviser (NSA), retired Col. Sambo Dasuki, till Jan. 20, 2016.
Dasuki, the NSA during the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan, is standing trial on allegations of illegal possession of firearms and money laundering.
He had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Justice Adeniyi Ademola adjourned the case for hearing in the applications by the prosecution seeking to revoke the bail granted to Dasuki.
He said the court will also hear another application by the prosecution seeking to stop Dasuki from travelling abroad for medical attention.
Counsel to the defendant, Joseph Daudu (SAN), had told the court that he filed notice of preliminary objections to the two applications by the prosecution.
The prosecution counsel, Mr Oladipo Okpeseyi, said he had just been served with the notices of objection and would need time to reply to them. – Additional reports from NAN, Punch.

Previous Post

MSMED Fund: States access N45bn to boost SMEs – CBN

Next Post

GTBank introduces virtual pre-paid MasterCard

Related Posts

NDLEA launches radio station, warns against pop culture glorifying drug abuse
Financial Crimes

NDLEA launches radio station, warns against pop culture glorifying drug abuse

May 21 2026
NDLEA arrests three Mexicans in Ogun during raid on drug syndicate
Financial Crimes

NDLEA arrests three Mexicans in Ogun during raid on drug syndicate

May 20 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State
Financial Crimes

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026
Jury begins deliberations in trial of Diezani Alison-Madueke
Financial Crimes

Jury begins deliberations in trial of Diezani Alison-Madueke

May 18 2026
DSS picks up El-Rufai after court grants bail; family kicks
Financial Crimes

DSS picks up El-Rufai after court grants bail; family kicks

May 18 2026
EFCC to apologise to doctors after Uyo hospital raid
Financial Crimes

EFCC to apologise to doctors after Uyo hospital raid

May 18 2026
Next Post

GTBank introduces virtual pre-paid MasterCard

Biafra: Kanu asks court to reverse 90-day remand order

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

May 22 2026
Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026
Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

May 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.