TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Conte leaves Inter Milan after Serie A triumph

The Citizen by The Citizen
May 27 2021
in Sport
A A
0
Antonio Conte under police protection after bullet-in-post threat

Antonio Conte parted company with Inter Milan on Wednesday just days after lifting their first Serie A title in 11 years amid clashes with the club’s cash-strapped Chinese owners on the way forward.

The ambitious Italian refused Suning’s planned cost cutting which would have prevented him building the team he wanted to challenge at home and in Europe.

The former Chelsea and Juventus boss took over in May 2019 on a three-year contract worth a reported 12 million euros ($14 million) annually.

But the 51-year-old leaves the San Siro one year early, Inter confirming “an agreement has been reached with Antonio Conte for the termination of his contract by mutual consent”.

“Antonio Conte will forever remain a part of our club’s history,” the statement added.

Severing Conte’s contract has cost the club a reported seven million euros ($8.5 million), while his final year’s salary would have been around 12 million.

As part of the deal Conte will not be allowed to coach another Serie A club next season, according to reports.

Among the names being touted to replace him are Lazio boss Simone Inzaghi and former Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri, who has also been linked with a return to the Turin club.

For Conte, future destinations could include Tottenham Hotspur and Real Madrid.

A demanding coach, whose training sessions were described by Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku as ‘like a war zone,’ Conte leaves Inter at the summit of Serie A, a feat last achieved by Jose Mourinho, who won the treble with the club in 2010.

It was a fifth league title for Conte having won three with Juventus between 2012 and 2014 and the Premier League with Chelsea in 2018.

But tensions had been ongoing, having already threatened to leave last summer after losing the Europa League final to Sevilla and finishing second in the league to Juventus.

Despite a second Champions League group stage exit this season Inter clinched their 19th Scudetto with a 12-point lead on AC Milan and with four games remaining.

“This is one of the most important successes of my career,” Conte said.

“Deciding to join Inter was not easy, the team was not equipped to win immediately.

“Furthermore, the opponent was Juventus for whom I had worked for a long time. Today we can say that our sacrifices have paid off.”

Conte rebuilt the ‘Nerazzurri,’ getting the best out of players including former Manchester United star Lukaku, Lautaro Martinez and Nicolo Barella, while others like Christian Eriksen and Ivan Perisic overcame initial difficulties to adapt to Conte’s style.

Captain Samir Handanovic and Lukaku both paid tribute to Conte on social media.

“You came at the right time and basically changed me as a player and made me even stronger mentally,” said Lukaku, Inter’s top scorer the past two seasons.

“Winning is all that matters to you. Thank you for all you did. I owe you a lot.”

Slovenian Handanovic, 36, who won his first trophy after nine years with the club, added: “You were the one who always raised the bar and put the right pressure on everyone… the one who made the difference. Thanks mister.”

Inter registered losses of 100 million euros ($122 million) last season mainly due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Suning Group shut down their Chinese club Jiangsu FC in February months after winning the Chinese Super League title.

Five days ago, Inter secured a cash injection worth 275 million euros with US investment firm Oaktree, in the form of a loan reported to be over three years.

In this context, Suning wants to save as much as possible both on the purchase of new players and salaries, and possibly selling those with the highest value, an approach unacceptable for Conte.

Conte’s three-year spell at Juventus remains the longest of a career already spanning seven clubs, and the Italian national team.

He took Bari and Siena into Serie A, began Juventus’ nine-year domination of the Italian top-flight, guided an unfancied Italy to the semi-finals of Euro 2016 and won the Premier League in his first season at Chelsea.

But he has never tasted European success, falling short with both Juventus and Chelsea before his near-miss with Inter.

Previous Post

California shooter kills eight, self in rail yard massacre

Next Post

Villarreal defeat Man Utd on penalties to win Europa league

Related Posts

FIFA releases World Cup 2026 anthem by Rema, LISA, Anitta
Sport

FIFA releases World Cup 2026 anthem by Rema, LISA, Anitta

May 21 2026
Ronaldo fires Al Nassr to Saudi league title
Sport

Ronaldo fires Al Nassr to Saudi league title

May 21 2026
World Cup hotels empty after FIFA cancels 70% reservations
Sport

World Cup hotels empty after FIFA cancels 70% reservations

May 20 2026
Aston Villa beat Freiburg 3–0 to win Europa League final
Sport

Aston Villa beat Freiburg 3–0 to win Europa League final

May 20 2026
Chelle sad after Zimbabwe draw, remains optimistic
Sport

Chelle names squads for Unity Cup, Poland, Portugal friendlies

May 20 2026
Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying
Sport

Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying

May 20 2026
Next Post
Villarreal defeat Man Utd on penalties to win Europa league

Villarreal defeat Man Utd on penalties to win Europa league

NDLEA warns against moves to legalize cannabis

NDLEA warns against moves to legalize cannabis

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

May 22 2026
Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

May 22 2026
Kwara PDP spokesman lands in prison for alleged defamation of Gov. AbdulRazaq

Kwara PDP spokesman lands in prison for alleged defamation of Gov. AbdulRazaq

May 22 2026
Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

May 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.