TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Death toll in Ecuador quake rises to 525 …as UNHCR fears 500 dead in Mediterranean shipwreck

The Citizen by The Citizen
April 21 2016
in Global News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The death toll from the powerful earthquake that shook Ecuador at the weekend has risen to more than 525 people, officials said Wednesday.

Officials said they had registered all of those deaths in the western province of Manabi as of Tuesday evening, as emergency workers continued pulling bodies from the rubble.

The previous death toll given by officials was 480.

On Saturday, authorities had also reported two fatalities in the southwestern province of Guayas. No updated figures for that province have since been released.

Hundreds of people are still missing, and authorities have warned that the death toll is likely to continue rising.

The 7.8-magnitude quake was Ecuador’s worst in nearly 40 years.

Meanwhile, the UN refugee agency said on Wednesday it feared around 500 migrants from Africa had drowned in the Mediterranean, in what could be one of the worst tragedies since the start of the migrant crisis in Europe.

 

Survivors who were spotted drifting at sea before being picked up by a passing merchant ship on April 16 told the UNHCR many migrants drowned when human traffickers tried to transfer people to an already overcrowded vessel somewhere between Libya and Italy.

The latest reported deaths come as Europe struggles to find a way of stemming the flow of people fleeing war, poverty and persecution in what has become Europe’s worst migrant crisis since World War II.

“The survivors told us that they had been part of a group of between 100 and 200 people who departed last week from a locality near Tobruk in Libya on a 30-metre (100-foot) boat,” the UNHCR said in a statement.

“After sailing for several hours, the smugglers in charge of the boat attempted to transfer the passengers to a larger ship carrying hundreds of people in terribly overcrowded conditions,” it said, adding that the larger boat then capsized and sank.

The 41 survivors — 37 men, three women and a three-year-old child — are believed to have drifted at sea for up to three days before being rescued and taken to Kalamata on the Peloponnese peninsula in southern Greece.

Of those rescued, 23 were Somali, 11 Ethiopian, six Egyptian and one from Sudan, the statement said, adding that they were being temporarily housed in a stadium in Kalamata.

– Perilous journey –
In what is believed to be the deadliest incident involving migrants and refugees trying to reach Europe, at least 740 people were feared to have perished in April 2015 after a crammed fishing boat capsized in Libyan waters.

In another incident in September 2014, up to 500 migrants drowned off Malta after people smugglers rammed their boat in an attempt to force them onto a smaller vessel.

The huge refugee influx arriving on European Union shores has sparked fierce disagreements among the bloc’s 28 members and brought its system of open borders to the brink of collapse.

Under a deal with Ankara to try to ease the burden, migrants who travel to the Greek islands are being returned to Turkey in return for billions in EU cash.

The EU also promised to resettle one Syrian refugee for every Syrian taken back by Turkey, to grant visa-free travel to Turks within the border-free Schengen Zone and to reassess Turkey’s stalled EU membership bid.

Migrant arrivals in Greece have fallen sharply since the agreement took effect on March 20.

The number landing on the Greek islands has now stabilised at around 100 people a day — around a tenth of the arrivals last summer.

But about 50,000 people remain stranded in Greece since the closure of the migrant route through the Balkans in February.

More than 10,000 of them are stuck in a slum-like camp at Idomeni on the border with Macedonia, which has seen a growing number of violent incidents sparked by desperate attempts to break through the frontier.

More than one million people crossed clandestinely to Europe in 2015 while some 179,000 have made the trip since the start of this year, according to UNHCR figures.

More than 3,700 people died in 2015 trying the make the perilous crossing over the Mediterranean, with 761 recorded as dead or missing in 2016.

On Saturday, Pope Francis again highlighted the humanitarian crisis by visiting the Greek island of Lesbos and returning to Rome with three refugee families who fled the conflict in Syria.

The pope told reporters that his gesture was “a drop in the ocean” but hoped that afterwards, “the ocean will never be the same again”. The Guardian

Previous Post

Questionable severance packages – Thisday

Next Post

NFF appoints Salisu Yusuf as Super Eagles interim manager

Related Posts

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown
Global News

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

May 22 2026
Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea
Global News

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

May 21 2026
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda
Global News

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

May 18 2026
Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping
Global News

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

May 12 2026
Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership
Global News

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

May 12 2026
Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs
Global News

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

May 8 2026
Next Post

NFF appoints Salisu Yusuf as Super Eagles interim manager

Declining revenue: We’ll continue to navigate through hard times – Gov. Ugwuanyi

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

May 22 2026
Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

May 22 2026
Kwara PDP spokesman lands in prison for alleged defamation of Gov. AbdulRazaq

Kwara PDP spokesman lands in prison for alleged defamation of Gov. AbdulRazaq

May 22 2026
Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

May 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.