TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Ebola scare: OAU student in quarantine, confesses contact with Late Dr. Enemuo

The Citizen by The Citizen
September 10 2014
in Headlines, Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

Fear gripped students, parents and staff of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife on Tuesday over a report that a patient on admission at the OAU Health Centre was a suspected Ebola Virus Disease victim.

Though the management of the school initially denied the development but the Oyo State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Temitope Ilori, said the sick student had confessed having contact with the late Port Harcourt doctor, Iyke Enemuo, who died of the EVD after he secretly treated an infected ECOWAS diplomat, Olu-Ibukun Koye, in a hotel in the Rivers State capital.

The commissioner said the female student had been put in the isolation ward.

Ilori said, “I was told that a student of the OAU who had contact with the doctor who died of the Ebola virus in Port Harcourt walked into the health centre when she was sick.

“She was said to have told doctors at the health centre that she had contact with the Port Harcourt doctor and was put under surveillance but she said she tested negative that time.

“Now she returned to the OAU to continue with her studies and was sick. She was said to have walked to the health centre and told them everything about her contact with the doctor.

“Her blood sample has been taken for another test in Lagos and we are awaiting the result. We pray she is not positive but she has been isolated at the health centre.”

When one of our correspondents visited the hospital on Tuesday, it was observed that health officials were disinfecting the surroundings of the medical centre and more attention was paid to places where patients sit before being attended to.

It was also learnt that top officials of the hospital held an emergency meeting after testing the suspected patient, who was said to have been on admission in the hospital since Monday.

Before the confirmation by the commissioner, the Public Relations Officer of the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital Complex, Ile Ife, Mr. Olu Bello, had denied the report that a suspected Ebola virus patient had been admitted to the hospital.

Bello said he also heard that a student of the OAU, who returned from Port Harcourt, was down with the virus but he said the hospital did not have any case of Ebola.

“There is no case of Ebola at the OAUTHC. Nothing like that; I also heard something like that but such rumour has been causing unnecessary tension among the people but it is not true.”

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of the university, Mr. Abiodun Olanrewaju,   said the university would make its findings known to the public later Tuesday night.

“It is a suspicion; we don’t know yet. We will make our position on it known tonight. We are still working; we are in the office now,” he told one of our correspondents on the phone.

Olanrewaju later said that the ailing student had been moved to Lagos.

Though, medical officials in the hospital had denied that the said student tested positive to the Ebola virus, they confirmed that the Federal Government Emergency Ebola Team had been contacted.

One of the officials, who preferred not to be identified because he was not authorised to speak, said the suspected patient would be made to go through an intensive examination on Wednesday (today) by the EVD team from Lagos.

Another official claimed that the symptoms showed by the student “are not too different from fever”.

The official said, “A patient was brought to the health centre and due to the fact that she hails from Port Harcourt there were fears that it might be Ebola. We have carried out tests on the victim and found that she is suffering from a likely fever. Not satisfied, we pressed further by holding an emergency meeting which finished five minutes ago.”

When asked why the hospital was disinfecting its surroundings, another staff said, “We are only taking preventive measures. To be 100 per cent satisfied, we have sent a letter to the Ebola Emergency Team in Lagos and the team should arrive by tomorrow (today).”

To ensure calmness in the institution, the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Bamitale Omole, urged students to desist from spreading rumours about EVD.

He spoke during the 52nd matriculation ceremony for 5,608 newly-admitted students of OAU on Tuesday.

He said, “A current issue of concern to us as an institution, which is also related to the judicious use of the facilities in the halls of residence, is maintaining a high standard of personal hygiene to halt the spread of EVD. The virus, which is not airborne, spreads through bodily fluids such as blood, sweat, urine, saliva and vomit. We should all co-operate to halt the spread of this disease by arming ourselves with adequate information about the disease and avoid spreading false rumours that certainly can cause fear and panic.

“A committee of experts had been set up in the university and it will step up its sensitisation and enlightenment campaign about the symptoms, modes of transmission and preventive measures of the disease.” – Punch.

Previous Post

AMCON to announce successful bidder for Enterprise Bank next week …shortlists 7 potential buyers for Mainstreet Bank

Next Post

Ebola: Reps to review schools’ resumption date

Related Posts

Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students
Headlines

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026
Tinubu orders 24-hour aerial cordon on Kwara, Kebbi, Niger forests
Latest News

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
Latest News

Xenophobia: 83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa Wednesday

August 18 2026
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
Next Post

Ebola: Reps to review schools’ resumption date

Alleged terror support: APC flays Jonathan over Chad trip with Modu Sheriff

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

August 18 2026
Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

August 18 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.