TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Fake UTME result: Mmesoma’s father seeks pardon

The Citizen by The Citizen
July 9 2023
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
UTME top scorer’s dad declares daughter innocent, Innoson demands probe

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has said the report of the Commission of Inquiry set up by the Anambra State Government to look into the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination result of Mmesoma Ejikeme has vindicated it.

This was disclosed in a statement made by the board’s acting Director, Public Affairs and Protocol, Dr Fabian Benjamin, on Saturday.

Benjamin, who revealed that “all available data indicated that Mmesoma is 19 years old” and not 16 as was initially claimed by the candidate, said that the report had further reinforced the position of the board that its system was not and could not be compromised.

He said, “It is to be noted that the board has built a reputation in terms of the conduct of credible examinations over the years and cannot afford to fail the nation at this critical juncture of its development. Therefore, we will not despair in spite of the painful realisation that some Nigerians will do anything to cast aspersions on the good name of the board.

“However, in spite of all the posturing of its detractors, the board remains resolute and uncompromising in its commitment to give Nigeria the best as far as credible and fair assessment is concerned.”

JAMB had last Sunday accused Mmesoma of manually inflating her UTME result from 249 to 362. The candidate had since paraded herself as the 2023 UTME top scorer and attracted a scholarship of N3m from Innoson motors.

Despite multiple pleas by the board, Mmesoma insisted that her result was not forged and noted that she printed it from JAMB’s website.

Consequently, JAMB slammed a three-year ban on her with the House of Representatives calling for a stay of action.

Social media users, who initially stood by her, had since begun to tender their apologies across various social media platforms.

Benjamin commended the Anambra State Government for its “patriotic and unbiased posture” and said the board was more than ever determined to continue to forge ahead unmindful of the shenanigans of those who desired its failure. He called on Nigerians to learn from the incident and appreciate the genuine efforts of critical national institutions to chart the course of national rebirth.

Mmesoma had earlier admitted to the panel of independent investigators set up by the state government that she forged the UTME result.

In a report made available to journalists in Abuja by Benjamin, the panel noted that Mmesoma did not give any reason for the forgery.

The report read in part, “In Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma’s submission, she owned up in the presence of her principal and the Education Secretary that the narration by the JAMB officials was a true and correct description of what transpired. She also admitted having manipulated the result by herself unaided, using the same phone and Airtel number.

“According to her, she proceeded to the cybercafé (Prisca Global Computers, Uruagu, Nnewi), where she printed the result she had manipulated. The committee tried to find out the motive behind her action, but Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma said nothing.”

The report added that in their own submissions, the Principal, Anglican Girls’ Secondary School, Uruagu, Nnewi, and the Education Secretary, Diocese of Nnewi (Anglican Communion), expressed shock that Mmesoma admitted to having manipulated her UTME result, deceiving the school, her immediate family and the state government.

Father seeks pardon

Meanwhile, Mmesoma’s father, Romanus Ejikeme, said his daughter did not confess her “crime” to him on time. Romanus also pleaded with JAMB and Nigerians at large to forgive her.

Speaking in an interview with the Nigeria Television Authority, Romanus said, “My daughter didn’t open up to me on time. When I realised the mistake she made, I blamed her a lot, but I’m still apologising to JAMB and Nigerians to pardon her.

“It was very shocking and devastating to us. We were not expecting such news because we never suspected any foul play as far as the result presented by Mmesoma is concerned, so the news jolted us and everybody around us.”

A former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili, who had earlier knocked the examination board for exposing Mmesoma, has recommended counselling for the embattled student.

In a statement posted via her Twitter page on Saturday, Ezekwesili said she was satisfied with the process and findings of the investigative panel, which gave Mmesoma “fair hearing.”

She added, “Mmesoma’s action has consequences. I therefore support the sanctions imposed by JAMB as a deterrent to all who participate in the systemic exam malpractices within our educational system.

“I also recommend sustained counselling for Mmesoma by the family, school and church to support her as she reflects on this tragic episode and makes a decision to embrace values and rewards of effort while eschewing dishonest gain for the rest of her life.”

Innoson withdraws scholarship

Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company has withdrawn the scholarship awarded to Mmesoma. The withdrawal of the scholarship, according to the firm, followed the revelation of the committee of inquiry that she faked her UTME result.

In a statement posted on Twitter by the company’s Head of Corporate Communications, Cornel Osigwe, Innoson said it made the “difficult decision” to withdraw the scholarship “in response to the confirmed findings.”

The statement read in part, “The findings from this rigorous investigation have now confirmed that Miss Joy Mmesoma Ejikeme did manipulate her UTME results. This conclusion is deeply disappointing and stands in direct contravention of the values we hold dear at Innoson Vehicles, particularly those that underscore our scholarship programme.

“In line with these principles and in response to the confirmed findings, we have made the difficult decision to withdraw the scholarship awarded to Miss Joy Mmesoma Ejikeme. This action is a testament to our unyielding commitment to honesty, integrity and merit-based recognition.”

Lawyer blames politicians

A lawyer, Johnmary Maduakolam, who threatened to sue JAMB for exposing the embattled candidate, insisted that the board failed to follow due process.

The lawyer, who spoke in an interview with our correspondent in Abuja, said Mmesoma learnt the act of forgery from politicians and added that he had no standing to sue the board since the candidate had been confirmed to be an adult.

He said, “I have seen the reports and I have condemned Mmesoma. Of course, the basis of the lawsuit was based on the representation of Mmesoma that she was a minor, but the moment that it was discovered that she was above 18, I lacked the locum to continue the suit. There would have been no basis to continue to sue JAMB.

“Mmesoma has learnt from politicians in high places that one can forge WAEC, NYSC and any other document. We can see now that it does not pay. I insist that JAMB did not follow due process. They can’t be the accuser and the judge. JAMB violated the law in that regard.”

Previous Post

Fake UTME result: Mmesoma’s father seeks pardon

Next Post

DSS detains, grills ex-Zamfara gov, Yari

Related Posts

Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students
Headlines

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026
Tinubu orders 24-hour aerial cordon on Kwara, Kebbi, Niger forests
Latest News

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
Latest News

Xenophobia: 83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa Wednesday

August 18 2026
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
Next Post
EFCC quizzes ex-Gov. Yari for alleged money laundering

DSS detains, grills ex-Zamfara gov, Yari

Remove Eyo from Gangs of Lagos, Oba of Lagos tells producers

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

August 18 2026
Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

August 18 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.