TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Nnamdi Kanu’s trial: NBA, Ohanaeze, others attack FG as DSS bars lawyers, journalists

The Citizen by The Citizen
October 22 2021
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
Nnamdi Kanu’s trial: NBA, Ohanaeze, others attack FG as DSS bars lawyers, journalists

Leader of Independent People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, with his lawyers and others during his trial at the Federal High Court in Abuja...on Thursday. Photo: Olatunji Obasa

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), the Ohanaeze Ndigbo and prominent Nigerians on Thursday berated security agents for barring lawyers, journalists and Igbo leaders from the trial of   Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

The NBA spokesman, Raphulu Nduka; the pan-Igbo socio-cultural organisation, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo and senior lawyers, who spoke separately, said harassment of lawyers, and journalists at the trial was despicable and undemocratic.

Kanu, who is facing treasonable felony and terrorism charges,  was on Thursday brought to the Federal High Court, Abuja amid tight security.

The leader of the separatist group, who has been facing trial since 2016,   was granted bail in April 2017.

In September that year, he fled the country after the invasion of his home in Afara-Ukwu, near Umuahia, Abia State, by the military.

On July 29, the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, SAN, said he had been rearrested and brought back to the country.

The failure of the DSS to produce the IPOB leader at the scheduled proceedings on July 26 attracted condemnation by his lawyers and Igbo leaders.

On Thursday,  as early as 4am, there were indications that Kanu would be brought to court as security agents consisting of the police, soldiers and Department of State Services operatives were deployed around the premises.

They blocked roads leading to the court and nearby streets including  Shehu Shagari Way which leads to Transcorp Hilton Hotel.

Journalists, lawyers and staff of the FHC who started arriving at the court as early as 6am were barred by the security agents, who said they were acting on the order of the presiding judge, Justice Binta  Nyako.

This was the second time in three months that the Federal Government refused journalists access to cover the trial of  Kanu.

Only July 26, only five lawyers each from the defence and prosecution teams were allowed to enter the court.

On Thursday, a security agent who addressed reporters at the entrance of Justice Nyako’s courtroom,  explained that the instruction was that journalists should be confined to their press centre.

However, one of our correspondents learnt that the DSS did not send any list of journalists to the judge for approval.

Also barred from the court were a delegate of Igbo Lawyers Association and some Igbo leaders.

Our correspondents noticed that some lawyers, who tried to explain their reasons for turning up at the court were dismissed and harassed by the overzealous operatives.

Kanu’s lawyers, Ifeanyi Ejimofor, Alloy Ejimakor, Maxwell Opara and Fein Bruce his foreign counsel and two other lawyers were allowed to enter.

Ohanaeze Ndigbo told journalists in Abuja that members of its entourage were denied access to the courtroom.

A former governor of Anambra State, Chukwuemeka Ezeife who spoke on behalf of the group told journalists, who were on ground that his entourage were barred from entering the court room.

He said, “We did not see Nnamdi Kanu with our eyes but we saw pictures, reason is that we were not allowed to enter the court room.

“When we got to the court, we were told that it was only one person that would be able to enter. The security did not allow us to enter.

“All I know is that a new Nigeria is coming where everyone will be treated equally.”

A member of the National Assembly, Senate Ifeanyi Uba, who was also not allowed to enter the court, protested.

Uba, representing Anambra South, who filed a motion seeking permission of the court to visit the defendant in the custody of the DSS  wanted to witness the trial and move his motion but was not given access to the court.

In a chat with journalists, Uba said, “As a serving Senator of the Federal Republic, today, I have a case in court and I was to present myself in court regarding my motion.

“This (Thursday) morning, I came to the court from the Transcorp Hilton axis, it was blocked. I tried the Borno House axis, it was also blocked.

“As a Senator of the Federal Republic, I think I have the right to enter the court premises even if I have no business in the court.”

While the senator was prevented from entering the room,  the Publisher of Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore, got a worse treatment as he was not only denied access, but also beaten by hoodlums who stormed the premises with petrol bombs.

Sowore was still talking to security operatives, who denied him access into the court when some boys, who looked unkempt arrived.

The hoodlums headed straight to where  Sowore was, slapping and punching him as security agents, to the surprise of everyone, looked on.

It took protest by journalists and lawyers present for security agents to reluctantly intervene and stop the hoodlums from beating  Sowore.

Prior to the attack, Sowore had told journalists that he was in court to show solidarity to Kanu and ask the officials at the court registry why he had not been arraigned.

He said, “ I am here to check the registry because for a while I have not been charged. I need to know about my treason case.

“Also I am here to witness the trial of my friend, Nnamdi Kanu.  The court is a public space and the public should not be barred from accessing the courtroom.

“People have the right to self-determination. Nigeria has not worked and will never work. So Nnamdi Kanu is not wrong and his trial should not be in secret.

“Security operatives have consistently failed to do their jobs and now you see them harassing journalists and lawyers.”

Commenting on the shoddy treatment meted out to journalists and lawyers, the Publicity Secretary of the NBA, Raphulu Nduka, slammed security agents.

In an interview, he stated, “This is despicable. The court is a public place and in fact a lawyer’s main place of business.

“Security operatives are not above the law. Why is it difficult for security agencies to understand respect for human rights? It is wrong for lawyers and even members of the public to be harassed because they seek to gain access into the courts.”

On his part,   Ifedayo Adedipe, SAN, said security operatives needed to be reminded that the court is a public place which should be made accessible.

He stated, “It is becoming common for security operatives to be overzealous and preventing lawyers from accessing the courts.

“They need to be reminded that the court is a public place, preventing people from accessing the court is wrong and even more wrong to prevent lawyers who have business from accessing the court.

“However, I will recommend that Nigerian Bar Association to take the matter up with the Attorney General of the Federation Abubakar Malami, SAN.”

Another SAN,  Remi Olatubora, berated security operatives over the harassment of lawyers and journalists.

Olatubora who spoke in an interview said, “The constitution requires that all trials either civil or criminal must be in the public.  That means all citizens must be granted access.

“A market woman can attend a court’s proceeding no matter how high profiled the case is as long as it is of interest to her.

“The court case is a matter of the interest of justice. It is not the interest of an individual or the interest of the government or what have you which means no one has the right to harass or assault anyone.

“What happened today which I was victim of was crude. The assaults on the lawyers, journalists are crude and uncivilised and should not happen in civilised societies.

Also,  Ohanaeze Ndigbo condemned the attack on its delegation by overzealous security agents.

It called on Federal Government to tender an unreserved apology to Ohanaeze Ndigbo and the former Governor of Anambra state, who led the delegation.

The Ohanaeze spokesman, Chief Alex Ogbonnia, who spoke to one of our correspondents, said though Ohanaeze was elated that Kanu was produced in court, the attacks on the media and Ohanaeze’s delegation negated fair trial.

Ogbonnia said, “We were stunned that deliberate efforts were made to stop the leader of Ohanaeze delegation to the trial of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife, the former Governor of Anambra State and others from entering the court.

“Ezeife was a state governor about 30 years ago, a retired permanent secretary, distinguished scholar with a PhD from Havard and Okwadike Igbo Ukwu.

“By all standards, Ezeife deserves honour and respect from Nigeria. Ohanaeze Ndigbo expects an apology from the Federal Government.”

The Pan Niger Delta Forum  National Publicity Secretary, Ken Robinson in a telephone interview, said Kanu was already being treated like a criminal while on trial, saying such acts of discrimination would continue to hinder the progress of the country.

Robinson stated,” Barring journalists, some prominent Nigerians and even lawyers  from gaining access into the court room shows the discriminatory attitude of the Federal Government.”

The claim to self determination, the right to aspirre for self determination is a right. So he is now being treated as a criminal with all the military and the Department of State Services, the Police and all that barring journalist, even prominent Nigerians and lawyers from gaining access to the court room.”

While urging the government to purge itself of nepotism, he said by singling out the IPOB leader and even Sunday Igboho, the government was making them superstars.

He stated, “They have just singled out Nnamdi Kanu and of course Sunday Igboho and making them superstars. That is what  they are doing. And it is high time the government realised that this approach is wrong.

“This approach will not bring peace, this approach will not bring unity, and this approach will continue to adversely affect the progress and prosperity of Nigeria.”

The pan-Yoruba socio-political organization, Afenifere, also condemned the trial of the IPOB leader.

The Secretary General of the association, Mr Sola Ebiseni, in a chat, said, “The idea of a secret trial is a design to mystify a circus show. The charges were based on alleged broadcast on Radio Biafra in the United Kingdom which is said to be monitored in Enugu, Nigeria.” – Punch.

Previous Post

Biafra: IPOB commends Igbo leaders, others for ensuring Kanu’s arraignment

Next Post

IPOB: South-East on lockdown, jubilant mood as Kanu pleads not guilty to charges

Related Posts

Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers
Headlines

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
93 percent of inmates are state offenders, half don’t need jail — Interior Minister
Headlines

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21 2026
US Congress okays bill to cut foreign aid to Nigeria
Headlines

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

August 21 2026
FCSC warns against fake recruitment links
Latest News

FCSC warns against fake recruitment links

August 21 2026
UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
Next Post
IPOB: South-East on lockdown, jubilant mood as Kanu pleads not guilty to charges

IPOB: South-East on lockdown, jubilant mood as Kanu pleads not guilty to charges

Ghana Jollof now streaming on Showmax

Ghana Jollof now streaming on Showmax

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.