TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

No $30bn is missing, FG tells Oshiomhole, says allegation is ‘shocking’

The Citizen by The Citizen
December 28 2014
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Federal Government has debunked the allegation made by the Governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole, that the sum of $30bn (N5.04trn) was missing from the Excess Crude Account.

The Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said in a statement issued on Saturday by her Special Adviser on Communications, Mr. Paul Nwabuikwu, describing the allegation as “shocking.”

Okonjo-Iweala described the allegation as “totally untrue.” saying, “the comments reflect once again, the unfortunate tendency of some political players to politicise the management of the economy on the basis of half-truths and sundry distortions.”

“The widely published comment by Governor Adams Oshiomhole alleging that $30bn is missing from the Excess Crude Account is shocking and totally untrue.

“This is not good for the country. There should be a limit to negative politics, even during an election season such as this.

“Governor Oshiomhole’s sweeping comments give the impression that the Federal Government sits alone in secret and doles out whatever it wishes to the states from the Federation Account.

“But anyone who is familiar with the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee process knows that this is simply not true. The meetings are held every month and commissioners of finance and other officials represent their states and agreements are reached on issues, including the sharing of proceeds from the Account,” the statement said.

The minister wondered why the government of Edo State did not table the allegation before the FAAC committee for investigation before “going public with a sweeping, political allegation based on casual, back of the envelop calculations.”

Okonjo-Iweala stated that the Governor of River State, Rotimi Amaechi, made a similar allegation in November 2013 when he raised the alarm that $5bn was missing from the same account.

The statement added that the ministry subsequently showed, with facts, that not only was the money not missing, the Rivers State Government got N257.6bn from the account between January and October 2013.

Oshiomhole’s allegation, Okonjo-Iweala added, “seems to be cut from a similar political fabric.”

“Governor Oshiomhole correctly observed that the economy would be in better shape today if we had saved more for the rainy day. But he failed to recall that the Federal Government’s strong advocacy for a low budget benchmark and greater savings in the ECA articulated by the Coordinating Minister was repulsed by some governors.

“There is no doubt that oil theft is a challenge but this too would have helped. We do not share Governor Oshiomhole’s overly bleak view of the country’s economic prospects,” the statement added.

The ministry added that while the challenges were great and could not be wished away, an international rating agency, Moody, and the International Monetary Fund had confirmed that the economy was resilient despite the oil price crash.

 

It could be recalled that Oshiomhole had on Thursday accused the Federal Government of failing to account for about $30bn that accrued to the ECA in the last three years.

The governor had said Nigeria’s budgets for the past three years had been based on an oil benchmark of $77 and $79, while the average price of the country’s crude had been $108 per barrel.

This, according to the governor, gives an average surplus of $30 per barrel.

“Ideally, we ought to be saving $36 per barrel on the 2.3 million barrel a day over the past three years and if you look at these numbers, you will find that what we have in our excess crude oil account should be over $30bn but as we speak, we have barely $3bn in our excess crude account.

“Over the past 18 months, we have not shared the excess crude account and yet the account is empty. Sometimes, we are told they have taken money from it to fund subsidies, including subsidy on kerosene,” he said.

 

Previous Post

Jonathan in secret talks with IBB

Next Post

Anambra attracts$1.65 bn investment, as Oduah heads Anambra Airport Project

Related Posts

Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria
Headlines

BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria

May 18 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo school attack: Senate, Yoruba leaders demand action as distress videos emerge

May 18 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo abduction: Please come to our aid – Abducted school principal cries out from captivity

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

May 17 2026
Next Post

Anambra attracts$1.65 bn investment, as Oduah heads Anambra Airport Project

Fayemi a shameless liar, his first name is falsehood – Fayose’s aide

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

May 19 2026

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.