TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Queen vows to address Harry, Meghan racism claims

The Citizen by The Citizen
March 10 2021
in Global News
A A
0
Queen vows to address Harry, Meghan racism claims

Queen Elizabeth II on Tuesday responded to explosive racism claims from her grandson Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, voicing deep concern and sympathising with their troubles with royal life.

“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” she said in a statement.

“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.

“Harry, Meghan, and Archie will always be much-loved family members.”

Buckingham Palace has come under mounting pressure to respond to the claims made in an Oprah Winfrey interview first broadcast on Sunday, which triggered a crisis unseen since the anguished days of Harry’s late mother, Diana, in the 1990s.

It set off a whirl of speculation about the identity of the senior royal who asked how dark their child’s skin would be before he was born.

Meghan, whose mother is black and father is white, also spoke about how she had suicidal thoughts, but failed to receive any support during her time in the royal family.

Winfrey was left open-mouthed by the racism claim, which reportedly left the palace in turmoil and scrambling how best to address it.

Prince Charles, Harry’s father and the heir to the throne, earlier ignored a question about what he made of the interview, as he made his first public appearance since the row erupted.

A YouGov poll of 4,656 people after the interview aired on British television on Monday indicated almost a third (32 percent) felt the couple was unfairly treated, the same proportion as those who thought the opposite.

But older people were more likely to side with the royal family, the poll suggested.

Harry and Meghan’s claims have been likened to a bomb being dropped on Britain’s most famous family and one of the country’s most revered institutions.

Attempts have been made to draw in Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has himself been accused of racism during his time as a newspaper columnist.

But he refused to comment, even as political calls mounted for a full inquiry and the White House and former US secretary of state Hillary Clinton spoke out.

However, Zac Goldsmith, a junior British foreign minister and close ally of Johnson, said former army captain Harry was “blowing up his family”.

Johnson’s spokesman declined to say whether Goldsmith was speaking for the government.

The level of controversy about the royals has not been seen since the very public collapse of the marriage of Harry’s parents.

His mother, Princess Diana, collaborated with the author Andrew Morton in a revealing 1992 biography and gave a bombshell BBC television interview in 1995.

In it, she said both she and Prince Charles had been unfaithful, how he was unfit to be king, and that she felt isolated, struggling with self-harm and bulimia.

Morton said Harry and Meghan’s claims would “shudder down through the generations in the same way that Diana’s did”.

But Meghan’s estranged father Thomas Markle defended the royals, saying he hoped the skin tone comment was “just a dumb question”.

“It could just be that simple, it could be somebody asked a stupid question, rather than being a total racist,” he told Britain’s ITV.

 –
Just over 17 million viewers watched Winfrey’s two-hour interview with Harry and Meghan on US broadcaster CBS on Sunday night.

More than 11 million people than tuned in to watch it in full on ITV in Britain, the channel said.

The couple dramatically quit royal life last year and now live in California with their young son, Archie, and are expecting their second child, a daughter, this summer.

Harry, 36, has admitted his mother’s death in Paris in 1997 — in a high-speed car crash as she tried to flee paparazzi photographers — has affected his mental health and coloured his view of the media.

He and Meghan, 39, have accused newspapers of racial stereotyping, particularly set against coverage of Harry’s sister-in-law, Kate, who is white.

But their comments about the suffocating strictures of royal life and claims of unwavering attitudes have wider implications for the monarchy itself — and what it represents.

Black Lives Matter protests last year prompted calls for a reassessment of the legacy of the British Empire.

Breakfast TV presenter Piers Morgan who accused Meghan of fabricating the claims quit his show Tuesday, after more than 41,000 complaints about his comments to the regulator.

Neither the queen, now 94, and her 99-year-old husband, Prince Philip, made the racist comment, Winfrey told CBS.

But it could still be damaging as the monarch is head of the Commonwealth, an organization comprising 54 mainly former British colonies, many of them in Africa, and 2.4 billion people.

Mass immigration has transformed Britain since the queen came to the throne in 1952, with a rising number of people who define themselves as British-Asian, black-British or of mixed race.

The historian David Olusoga wrote in The Guardian that Harry and Meghan’s claims were “not just a crisis for the royal family — but for Britain itself”.

Harry himself used a racist slur against a former military colleague and was once pictured wearing a Nazi soldier’s uniform at a fancy-dress party.

But he has said meeting Meghan had made him confront the issue, and he is now championing projects to tackle racism. – AFP.

Previous Post

SME sector a potential game changer for economic growth – Akeem Lawal, Interswitch DCEO

Next Post

Rohr names Osimhen in AFCON qualifiers squad

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory
Global News

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

August 20 2026
Trump threatens to bomb Oman
Global News

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

August 18 2026
Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test
Global News

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

August 18 2026
Global News

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

August 13 2026
Next Post
Rohr names Osimhen in AFCON qualifiers squad

Rohr names Osimhen in AFCON qualifiers squad

Real Madrid academy will engage our youths, develop football – Minister

Real Madrid academy will engage our youths, develop football - Minister

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.