TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Trump loses court battle to stop niece’s tell-all book

The Citizen by The Citizen
June 26 2020
in Global News
A A
0
Trump loses court battle to stop niece’s tell-all book

A New York City judge on Thursday dismissed a claim by Donald Trump’s brother that sought to halt the publication of a tell-all book by the president’s niece.

The judge said the court lacked jurisdiction in the case.

It was the second book, after John Bolton’s memoir that Trump had failed to block.

Surrogates Court Judge Peter Kelly said the claims were not appropriate for his court, where disputes over estate matters are settled.

The motion filed earlier this week sought an injunction to prevent Mary Trump and the book’s publisher, Simon & Schuster, from releasing it, as scheduled, in July.

Mary Trump is the daughter of Fred Trump Jr., the president’s elder brother, who died in 1981.

An online description of her book, “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man,” says it reveals “a nightmare of traumas, destructive relationships, and a tragic combination of neglect and abuse.”

Robert Trump’s lawyers filed court papers saying that Mary Trump and others had signed a settlement agreement that would prohibit her from writing the book.

They said the deal included a “substantial financial settlement” for Mary Trump.

The settlement nearly two decades ago included a confidentiality clause explicitly saying they would not “publish any account concerning the litigation or their relationship,” unless they all agreed, the court papers said.

Published accounts of the book’s contents say it contains an “insider’s perspective” of “countless holiday meals” and family interactions and family events, along with personal observations by Mary Trump, a psychologist, about her “supposedly toxic family,” according to the court papers.

The agreement related to the will of Donald Trump’s father, New York real estate developer Fred Trump.

In their court papers, lawyers for Robert Trump said the book also has been promoted as containing insight into the “inner workings” of the Trump family and allegations that the late Fred Trump and the president neglected Mary Trump’s father, “supposedly contributing to his early death.”

Mary Trump’s attorney, Ted Boutrous Jr., said the court was correct in its decision.

“We hope this decision will end the matter. Democracy thrives on the free exchange of ideas, and neither this court nor any other has authority to violate the Constitution by imposing a prior restraint on core political speech,” he said in a statement.

The White House and lawyers for Robert Trump did not have an immediate comment Thursday.

A spokesman for Simon & Schuster said in a statement that the publishing house was “delighted” with the decision.

“We look forward to publishing Mary L. Trump’s ‘Too Much and Never Enough,’ and are confident we will prevail should there be further efforts to stifle this publication,” spokesperson Adam Rothberg said. – AP.

Previous Post

COVID-19: Wrong time to drop guard – Vanguard

Next Post

Diplomats draft countries to access EU on border reopening

Related Posts

Trump threatens to bomb Oman
Global News

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

August 18 2026
Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test
Global News

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

August 18 2026
Global News

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

August 13 2026
Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake
Global News

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

August 12 2026
Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat
Global News

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

August 11 2026
EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation
Global News

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

August 10 2026
Next Post
Diplomats draft countries to access EU on border reopening

Diplomats draft countries to access EU on border reopening

Liverpool win first Premier League title in 30 years

Liverpool win first Premier League title in 30 years

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Military relocates Operation Safe Haven HQ following Plateau killings

Military relocates Operation Safe Haven HQ following Plateau killings

August 19 2026
Sanwo-Olu gifts LASU best graduating students N20m each

Sanwo-Olu gifts LASU best graduating students N20m each

August 19 2026
2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

August 19 2026
Shettima resumes duties after two-week leave

Shettima resumes duties after two-week leave

August 19 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.