TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

We spent $100m feeding 10m school children — FG

The Citizen by The Citizen
October 8 2022
in Governance
A A
0
2023 presidency: I’ll make my position public on Tuesday, says Ngige

The Federal Government on Friday said about $100 million was spent in feeding 10 million Nigerian children under the National School Feeding Programme, as part of efforts to eliminate the scourge of child labour in the country.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, stated this in his office when he received the United States Ambassador to Nigeria, Mary Beth Leonard and officials of the  Department of State who paid him a courtesy visit.

Ngige explained that the Nigerian government introduced the school feeding programme under its social security programme, to lure children engaged in child labour, back to school.

He said the Federal government also introduced social protection programmes to fight poverty, which is the major contributory factor to the prevalence of child labour in Nigeria.

A statement by Olajide Oshundun, Head of Press and Public Relations, Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment quoted Ngige as saying, “We have introduced the National school feeding programme under our social security, to lure children back to school. As of today, we are feeding 10 million children across the country. We have spent nearly $10 million on this.

“We have also taken more schools into the areas prone to child labour and made education free in the whole country through the Universal Basic Education Act and the Child Rights Act.

“For the people with disability, we introduced Disability Peoples Commission to give them full and comprehensive aid so that they will not feel that they have any disability. If you don’t support someone with a disability, it is outright poverty.”

The minister expressed the gratitude of his ministry to the US government for the recent technical assistance of the United States Department of Labour to West Africa,  in the area of fighting violence and harassment at work under Convention 190 of the International Labour Organisation (ILO).

“Nigeria and Liberia iare listed there and the fund is $5 million, estimated to be spent on the project. We think that it is a step in the right direction.

“Just last week we got information of another $4 million for anti-child labour activities in Nigeria. Ondo State is chosen as the pilot state for the fight against child labour in the area of cocoa farming. We think this is a good step in the right direction because over the years, from the time we visited for African Growth and Opportunities (AGOA) conference under the Department of Labour and Trade in Washington in 2017, we had made it clear that the United States Government has to take practical steps for us to follow. We cant be mouthing child labour and we leave it unattended to when we know that most of those engaged in it are those trying to make up for family needs.”

According to him, vulnerable families send their underage children to work in cocoa farms, and mining sites or to engage in street hawking and petty trading, because family income is not enough, owing to underemployment or unemployment.

He explained that advocacy alone cannot reduce the scourge, as it would be difficult to retain the audience of a hungry person.

Ngige reiterated his proposal at the AGOA conference that the United States must assist Nigeria in fighting child labour, adding that his ministry needed assistance in the area of capacity building and logistics, such as vehicles, to enable officials of the Department of Occupational Safety and Inspectorate Division to move into areas with a high incidence of child labour and tackle the scourge from the source.

He added that the government needed assistance to train people in skill acquisition, to make the uneducated gainfully employed in plumbing, refrigeration repairs, and tiling, among others.

Earlier Leornard said the United States Government was worried to see that Nigerian children were subjected to the worst forms of child labour in quarries and grannies and mining sites.

She assured that her country would continue to work with the Nigerian Government in addressing the scourge and appealed to the remaining seven states yet to domesticate the Child Rights Act to do so without further delay.

She said the US government was pleased to see a new programme in Nigeria that provides seed capital to vulnerable people to pursue programmes in areas with a high prevalence of child labour.

Previous Post

Flooding: Enugu govt deploys mechanisms to minimise impact on affected communities

Next Post

Wike signs legislative instrument revoking Omehia’s recognition as ex-Rivers gov

Related Posts

Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs
Governance

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Governance

States get special N435bn for security, infrastructure

August 21 2026
Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance
Governance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
FCTA begins demolition of encroachment on water channels
Governance

FCTA begins demolition of encroachment on water channels

August 20 2026
FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector
Financial Crimes

FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector

August 19 2026
Shettima resumes duties after two-week leave
Governance

Shettima resumes duties after two-week leave

August 19 2026
Next Post
2023: Wike gives conditions to support PDP consensus arrangement

Wike signs legislative instrument revoking Omehia’s recognition as ex-Rivers gov

UNILAG issues appeal over lagoon body

Folasade Ogunsola emerges UNILAG’s first female VC

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.