TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

WHO announces 17% global drop in COVID-19 cases

The Citizen by The Citizen
February 13 2021
in Global News
A A
0
WHO announces 17% global drop in COVID-19 cases
22
SHARES
734
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it has continued to see a decline in COVID-19 cases globally, with a 17 per cent drop compared with last week.

The WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, in a speech posted on its website on Friday, stated that the number of deaths had also reduced.

Ghebreyesus, speaking at a news conference at WHO headquarters in Geneva, said, “this is the fourth week of declining cases.

“The number of deaths also fell for the second week in a row, with 88,000 new deaths reported last week – a terrible number, but a 10 per cent decline from the previous week.

“These declines appear to be due to countries implementing public health measures more stringently.’

“But remember, we have been here before. Now is not the time to relax measures or for any of us to let down our guard.

“Every life that is lost now is all the more tragic as vaccines are now being rolled out; the virus continues to circulate widely and new variants are emerging.

“This is not an unexpected development, but it gives a new urgency to our global efforts to bring this pandemic under control.

“Every time the virus mutates, it has the potential to blunt the effectiveness of our vaccines, medicines and tests,” he said.

According to him, there are three major threats to the UN-led international equitable vaccine initiative, COVAX, that requires urgent attention amidst news of decline in cases and deaths of COVID-19.

Ghebreyesus, however, drew attention to a 27-billion-dollar financing gap in the ACT Accelerator, which supported the development and equitable distribution of coronavirus tests, treatments and vaccines globally.

“The longer this gap goes unmet, the harder it becomes to understand why, given this is a tiny fraction of the trillions of dollars that have been mobilised for stimulus packages in G20 countries,’’ he said.

Secondly, noting some bilateral deals, he called on all States “to respect COVAX contracts and not compete with them”.

And third, he underscored the need for “an urgent scale-up in manufacturing to increase the volume of vaccines” with “innovative partnerships” to include tech transfer, licensing and “other mechanisms to address production bottlenecks”.

Meanwhile, as Africa marked  one year since its first COVID-19 case on Sunday, Feb. 14, WHO revealed that the continent had witnessed a 40 per cent surge in COVID -19  fatalities – pushing the death toll there toward 100,000.

“The increasing deaths from COVID-19 we are seeing are tragic, but are also disturbing warning signs that health workers are overstretched.

“There are also warning that health systems in Africa are dangerously overstretched,” WHO Regional Director for Africa Matshidiso Moeti, said in a statement posted on WHO Regional office for Africa website.

At the same time, in the last 28 days, over 22,300 deaths were reported on the continent – a 3.7 per cent fatality rise – compared with nearly 16,000 deaths in the previous 28 days, which reflected a 2.4 per cent increase, according to WHO.

This mortality spike came  as Africa’s second wave which began in October, seems to have peaked on  Jan. 7, haven  spread significantly faster and proven far more lethal.

WHO maintained that second wave cases surged far beyond the peak experienced in the first wave and health facilities had  become overwhelmed.

“This grim milestone must refocus everyone on stamping out the virus,” Moeti said.

At the same time, new contagious COVID-19 strains are spreading rapidly as Africa gears up for its largest-ever vaccination drive.

The variant known as B1.351, which was first identified in South Africa, has now been detected in eight African States, while the mutation initially identified in the United Kingdom, called B1.1.7, has been found in six countries on the continent.

“This is obviously very disappointing news, but the situation is very dynamic.

“While a vaccine that protects against all forms of COVID-19 is our biggest hope, preventing severe cases which overwhelm hospitals is crucial,” Moeti said.

This week, South Africa said it would pause the roll-out of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, citing a study indicating that it was less effective in battling the country’s dominant B1.351 strain.

WHO says there was an “urgent need” for a coordinated approach to variant surveillance and more evaluation to help decipher the potential impact they might  have on vaccine effectiveness.

“The pandemic is far from over and vaccines are just one crucial tool in our fight against the virus.

“We must boost investments and support for our health workers and health systems by sticking to face mask wearing, regular hand cleaning and safe social distancing,” Moeti added

Share9Tweet6
Previous Post

Amotekun ready to deal with Fulani warlord, Iskilu Wakili — Gov. Makinde

Next Post

United Nigeria airline completes inaugural flight service

Related Posts

Trump charges $1bn for permanent seat on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’, invites Putin
Global News

Trump sets monthly targets for citizenship revocations

February 13 2026
I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump
Global News

I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

February 7 2026
Iran vows retaliation to US bombing of nuclear sites
Global News

Iran formally allows women to ride motorcycles

February 4 2026
Danish PM slams Trump over NATO Afghanistan remarks
Global News

Danish PM slams Trump over NATO Afghanistan remarks

January 24 2026
Trump threatens Canada with 100% tariff over trade deal with China
Global News

Trump threatens Canada with 100% tariff over trade deal with China

January 24 2026
Trump charges $1bn for permanent seat on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’, invites Putin
Global News

Trump charges $1bn for permanent seat on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’, invites Putin

January 20 2026
Next Post
United Nigeria airline completes inaugural flight service

United Nigeria airline completes inaugural flight service

Niger Delta farmers floor Shell in UK court

Niger Delta farmers floor Shell in UK court

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Umahi’s son Osborne, picks LG chairmanship form in Ebonyi

Umahi’s son Osborne, picks LG chairmanship form in Ebonyi

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

Ogun State cancels Awujale selection process

Ogun State cancels Awujale selection process

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

60 princes vie for Awujale stool as Ogun govt reviews selection process

60 princes vie for Awujale stool as Ogun govt reviews selection process

by The Editor
December 16 2025
0

...

Police dismiss gunmen attack in Lagos community

Police dismiss gunmen attack in Lagos community

by The Editor
December 12 2025
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu confers GCON on business associate, Chagoury

Tinubu confers GCON on business associate, Chagoury

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

FG targets Dana Air assets to refund trapped passenger funds

FG reshuffles NCAA directors amid corruption allegations

by The Editor
December 26 2025
0

...

Senate screens Tinubu’s nominees for NMDPRA, NUPRC

Senate screens Tinubu’s nominees for NMDPRA, NUPRC

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

Govt launches power outage reporting app

Pres. Tinubu reconstitutes NERC board

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

ODDITIES

Nigerian nurse loses licence for sleeping during shift in Australia

Nigerian nurse loses licence for sleeping during shift in Australia

by The Editor
January 24 2026
0

Woman battling cancer seeks second wife for sex-starved husband

Woman battling cancer seeks second wife for sex-starved husband

by The Editor
December 27 2025
0

Man kills cousin over ₦1,000 burial refund in Delta State

Man kills cousin over ₦1,000 burial refund in Delta State

by The Editor
December 22 2025
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump charges $1bn for permanent seat on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’, invites Putin

Trump sets monthly targets for citizenship revocations

by The Editor
February 13 2026
0

...

I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

by The Editor
February 7 2026
0

...

Iran vows retaliation to US bombing of nuclear sites

Iran formally allows women to ride motorcycles

by The Editor
February 4 2026
0

...

Danish PM slams Trump over NATO Afghanistan remarks

Danish PM slams Trump over NATO Afghanistan remarks

by The Editor
January 24 2026
0

...

Trump threatens Canada with 100% tariff over trade deal with China

Trump threatens Canada with 100% tariff over trade deal with China

by The Editor
January 24 2026
0

...

State of the States

Sanwo-Olu signs 2026 Lagos budget into law

Sanwo-Olu signs 2026 Lagos budget into law

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

LASTMA dismisses five, sanctions 14 officers for misconduct

LASTMA dismisses five, sanctions 14 officers for misconduct

by The Editor
January 2 2026
0

...

Gombe governor leads funeral prayers for seven journalists

Gombe governor leads funeral prayers for seven journalists

by The Editor
December 30 2025
0

...

Gov. Adeleke signs Osun 2026 appropriation bill into law

Gov. Adeleke signs Osun 2026 appropriation bill into law

by The Editor
December 29 2025
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Trump charges $1bn for permanent seat on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’, invites Putin

Trump sets monthly targets for citizenship revocations

February 13 2026
Anambra election: INEC opens portal for ad-hoc staff recruitment

BREAKING: INEC releases timetable for 2027 elections

February 13 2026
I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

February 7 2026
Transcorp Power grows revenue to N398bn

Transcorp Power grows revenue to N398bn

February 7 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Tinubu denies Christian, Muslim genocide in Nigeria

Pay local contractors – Punch

by The Editor
February 4 2026
0

Drug tests for public office aspirants, a must – Punch

Drug tests for public office aspirants, a must – Punch

by The Editor
January 9 2026
0

Economy in 2026: From risk to recovery – Punch

Economy in 2026: From risk to recovery – Punch

by The Editor
January 2 2026
0

FG launches digital platform to transition to paperless operation

LGs: Executive Order opposes federalism – Punch

by The Editor
December 30 2025
0

US launches strikes against ISIS terrorists in Sokoto

Implications of US air strikes in Nigeria – Punch

by The Editor
December 29 2025
0

Opinion

SEC explains licence grant to two crypto exchanges in Nigeria

New cryptocurrency tax regime in Nigeria

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

Air Peace pledges free evacuation, medicals for trafficked Nigerian girls in Ivory Coast

No, Nigerian airfares are not the cheapest

by The Editor
December 29 2025
0

...

Tax document fraud: Governance and trust deficit

Tax document fraud: Governance and trust deficit

by The Editor
December 22 2025
0

...

Peter Mbah’s visionary leadership and the rebirth of security in Enugu State

Peter Mbah’s visionary leadership and the rebirth of security in Enugu State

by The Editor
December 8 2025
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.