TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

2015: FG condemns Dokubo, Tompolo over war threats

The Citizen by The Citizen
January 30 2015
in Headlines, Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
1

The Federal Government officially reacted on Thursday to the war threat by ex- Niger Delta militants, saying it was reprehensible.

The condemnation came barely a day after a former Minister of Defence, Lt.Gen. Theophilus Danjuma, called for their arrest and seven days after the ex-militants made the threat at the Government House in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

The ex-militants – Mujahiden Dokubo-Asari, Government Ekpemupolo (aka Tompolo), Victor Ebikabowei (aka Boyloaf) and others – had at the end of a meeting attended by Bayelsa State Governor Seriake Dickson, said, “For every Goliath, God created a David. For every Pharaoh, there is a Moses. We are going to war. Every one of you should go and fortify yourself.”

But as the Federal Government, through the Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, cautioned against inflammatory remarks, unrepentant Ekpemupolo, said Danjuma was the one that should be arrested by security operatives.

The minister, at a news conference in Abuja, said that there was no basis for the ex-militants to be beating war drums since President Goodluck Jonathan had said   he would concede defeat if he lost the February 14 presidential election.

He said, “It is reprehensible for people to threaten this country with mayhem should their candidate lose the election . The President,   Dr. Jonathan, has not left anybody in doubt as to his preparedness to conduct a free, fair, credible and transparent election.

“Mr. President has said that in the unlikely event of his losing the election, in the course of this exercise, that he was straight man enough, he was democratic enough to concede defeat.

“So, if Mr. President himself, who is the main contestant, who is the President of this country, who is the leader of the PDP(Peoples Democratic Party) has come out to say that he was going to ensure free and fair elections where the choice of Nigerians would be respected, I do not see where statements from supporters of either Mr. President or any   political party for that matter should derail the course of this democratic movement.”

The minister, who said that the anxiety over the elections was unwarranted, stressed that the Federal Government was determined to conduct hitch-free elections.

He added that security agencies had been sufficiently mobilised for the elections.

Shortly after Moro spoke, Ekpemupolo, in a statement by his Media Adviser, Paul Bebenimibo, wondered why Danjuma, who did not condemn the stoning of Jonathan’s convoy in Katsina and Bauchi states, would want them arrested.

He asked, “Is Gen. Danjuma not aware of the peaceful atmosphere when Gen. Buhari visited Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa   states for campaign? Why is it that President Jonathan’s convoy was attacked in Kastina and Bauchi states without any provocation?

“Where was this so-called statesman when the APC campaign Director General, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, threatened to form a parallel government if Jonathan wins the 2015 elections?”

Ekpemupolo said that Danjuma should be reminded that the treaty that brought the Southern and Northern Protectorates together in 1914, expired last year.

He added, “Let Gen. Danjuma and his cohorts know that they will not see any Ijaw man, Igbo and others to fight on their side if the war that they are planning breaks out.

“And finally, Gen. Danjuma and his cohorts should know that I remain resolute on my position in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, that President Goodluck Jonathan must win this election for Nigeria to continue to stay together.”

Ohaneze Ndigbo also faulted Danjuma and called on him to worry himself more with ending the destructive activities of Boko Haram in the North-East.

The Secretary General of the group, Joe Nworgu, told one of our correspondents on the telephone that   the arrest of Ekpemupolo and Dokubo-Asari was not the solution to the security problem in the country.

He said, “They should prevail on all those behind the insurgency in the North to stop. Let them do that and not to call for the arrest of people who are merely issuing verbal threats.

“The group they armed are destabilising the country. Their men are already armed and fighting and embarrassing the country. These ones are only issuing verbal threats.

“Luckily, Danjuma is in charge of the relief funds for victims of the insurgency. He is in a better position to know those that should be cautioned.”

Nworgu   enjoined those perpetrating violence to realise that no single group of individuals had the monopoly of violence.

But the Northern Elders Forum has declared support for the call by Danjuma.

The forum’s spokesperson, Prof. Ango Abdullahi, said   in a telephone interview with The PUNCH, “It makes a lot of sense. It serves as a wake-up call for people who are derelict of their duties.

“If somebody (in the security services) is asleep, he should wake up and do his job that is all Gen. Danjuma is saying.”

Abdullahi dismissed allegations that the former minister was being partisan by not speaking up when similar statements were made by some   northerners.

He said, “That’s absolute rubbish, it does not make sense to make such claims. This is not the first time they (ex-Niger Delta militants) are issuing such threats; It   has been going on for some time and nobody has cautioned them.

“If you look at the environment and venue where they make such comments you cannot connect it directly to those who are responsible for it. People have been calling for this (arrest) for a long time.”

The Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, has also cautioned those beating the drums of war to refrain from doing so as it threatens the survival of the country.

Secretary of the group, Chief Seinde Arogbofa, said in Akure that the former militants and Boko Haram insurgents were taking issues to the extreme.

He said, “That is not the part of democracy. Although they were reacting to the attack on the President when he went to campaign in the north, it is not sufficient to begin to talk about war.

“Even the President will not accept that. He would not want the country to break in his hands.

“What the former militants should be doing is to campaign effectively for the President so that he becomes President.”

Previous Post

Call for arrest: Clark, Dokubo, Tompolo, others blast Danjuma

Next Post

Buhari withdraws from presidential TV debate

Related Posts

Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City
Latest News

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde
Governance

Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde

May 18 2026
FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians
Business

FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians

May 18 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
Latest News

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18 2026
Next Post

Buhari withdraws from presidential TV debate

Again, hoodlums stone Jonathan’s convoy in Taraba

Comments 1

  1. Shola says:
    11 years ago

    You see Danjuma as a military man is a stark illiterate in democratic process, which allows freedom of opinion. Many other Nigerians say things like that.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

May 19 2026

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.