TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

$5.3bn: Court strikes out EFCC case against Patience Jonathan

The Citizen by The Citizen
April 21 2018
in Financial Crimes, Headlines
A A
0
EFCC loses bid to seize Patience Jonathan’s $8.4m, N7.35bn

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday struck out a suit filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), seeking tofreeze the sum of $5.3 billion domiciled in a bank account and linked to the wife of the former President, Mrs Patience Jonathan and six others.

Justice Mojisola Olatoregun struck out the suit at the instance of the EFCC who filed an application to discontinue same.

Last week Friday, Justice Olatoregun had struck out the Commission’s ex-parte application for the seizure of certain funds belonging to Mrs Jonathan after holding that the issue was already a subject of litigation before two other judges, Justice Murtala-Nyako and Justice John Tsoho, both of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

The judge also criticised the EFCC for engaging in forum shopping by filing multiple suits on the seizure of the funds, one with a total of $8,435,788.84 and another for N7.35billion.

According to Channels tv, with the court striking out the cases and a similar discontinuance application filed by the EFCC before Justice Nyako in Abuja, the EFCC will now file an application for the forfeiture of the funds to the Federal Government.

The court presided by Justice Mojisola Olatoregun, had sometime in December 2016, while granting EFCC’s ex-parte application ordered that the account be frozen pending the conclusion of investigation on the monies.

The judge had also ordered the EFCC to file an undertaking as to damages if it turned out that the order was erroneously granted.

In urging the court to temporarily freeze the account, the EFCC through one of its investigators, Abdulahi Tukura, in an affidavit, told the court that Mrs Patience Jonathan used different companies and individuals to acquire the money.

The investigator also said that Mrs Jonathan’s money in a bank account with a current balance of $5,842,316.66 billion, is reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime.

Another individual, Esther Oba who is said to be at large is also said to be in possession of $429,381.87 million said to belong to Mrs Jonathan.

At the hearing of the matter on Thursday, a lawyer to one of the respondents, Ige Asemudara, told the court that he was duly informed by the EFCC’s lawyer, Mohammed Idris, who was equally in court, that, the anti-graft agency had signified its intention to discontinue the suit, by filing a notice of discontinuance.

Asemudara, therefore, urged the court to strike out the suit.

Asemudara’s application was granted, and Justice Olatoregun consequently struck out the suit.

 

Previous Post

Businessman attacks Keyamo in court over Buhari appointment

Next Post

PSC promotes Magu to Commissioner of Police

Related Posts

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns
Headlines

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns

August 20 2026
Osun: Davido was target of Osogbo convoy attack – Police
Headlines

Osun: Davido was target of Osogbo convoy attack – Police

August 20 2026
BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
Headlines

Osun: Police confirm one death in Osogbo gunfire

August 20 2026
‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine
Headlines

ICPC uncovers multiple fake agencies as Tinubu orders forensic probe

August 20 2026
FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector
Financial Crimes

FEC directs EFCC to release looted funds to education sector

August 19 2026
BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
Headlines

BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

August 19 2026
Next Post
PSC promotes Magu to Commissioner of Police

PSC promotes Magu to Commissioner of Police

Court decides Evans’ applications to quash murder charges Nov. 10

Evans: 45 police officers get special promotion for arresting billionaire kidnapper

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20 2026
Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

August 20 2026
Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
Super Eagles bow 1-2 to Algeria in friendly

Senate summons NFF, NSC over Nigeria’s football crises

August 20 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.