TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

FG moves to avert varsity strike as ASUU ultimatum ends

The Citizen by The Citizen
December 6 2021
in Headlines, Latest News
A A
0
FG moves to avert varsity strike as ASUU ultimatum ends

ASUU President, Prof Emmanuel Osodeke and the Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba

The Federal Government has begun moves to prevent an industrial action in the country’s public universities as the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) three-week deadline ended on Sunday.

The  Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, on Sunday, said  the ministry had written a letter to the Ministry of Finance on the payment of allowances to staff of universities.

But the union told one of our correspondents that government had only met one of its demands.

ASUU had on November 15  given the Federal Government a three-week ultimatum over government failure to meet its  demands

The lecturers  threatened to embark on  another round of industrial action following the ‘government’s unfaithfulness’ in implementation of the Memorandum of Action  it signed with the union upon which last year’s strike action was suspended.

After the union’s National Executive Council  meeting at the University of Abuja on November 13 and 14,  ASUU President, Professor Emmanuel Osodeke, lamented that despite meeting  with  the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige on  October 14, 2021, on  issues including funding for revitalization of public universities, earned academic allowances, University Transparency Accountability Solution, promotion arrears, renegotiation of 2009 ASUU-FGN agreement, and the inconsistencies in Integrated Payroll and Personnel information system payment,  none of the demands had been met.

The Federal Government  promised to pay  N30bn as revitalisation fund to universities. It also promised to pay  N22.1bn  earned allowances to university workers.

When contacted on Saturday night, ASUU president told one of our correspondents that government had not met all the demands.

Osodeke said the union would meet on Sunday to take a decision on the issue. As of the time of sending this report, the union was still meeting.

“The deadline will elapse by Sunday. They only met one out of our requests which is the NEEDS assessment; the revitalisation funds of N30bn but they paid only N20bn to the universities. The other requests have not been fulfilled  even the ones they promised. Our officers are meeting tomorrow, we will let you know our decision by tomorrow (Sunday),” he said on Saturday.

When contacted at 8:30pm on Sunday, ASUU president said the union was still  meeting. “We haven’t taken a final decision yet. We have to consult all our branches and zones. The national cannot just sit down and call for action. The government didn’t implement what they promised us,” he said

But Nwajiuba said the ministry of education had written its finance counterpart on the payment, adding that the Minister of Finance had acknowledged the receipt of the letter.He said, “We have sent a letter to the ministry of finance and in the letter we did a breakdown of each university and the individuals to be paid. We do not pay unions. What we will do is to pay each university. We have done the breakdown.

“I spoke to the minister of finance yesterday and she said she got the letter and her ministry would work with the breakdown that we gave them. The payment will be paid as soon as due process is concluded by the ministry of finance. But it should be noted that the money will not be paid to the union as a whole but it would be paid to each university.” – Punch.

Previous Post

Pres. Buhari orders return of repatriated artefacts to Benin Palace

Next Post

COVID-19: Nigeria’s death toll stands at 2,980 – NCDC

Next Post
COVID-19: Nigeria’s death toll stands at 2,980 – NCDC

COVID-19: Nigeria’s death toll stands at 2,980 – NCDC

Fears grow over fresh COVID lockdown as FG plans tough actions against third wave

Omicron: Fed Govt fumes over Nigeria’s inclusion in UK red list

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.