TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Abduction: Army ignored advance warning –Amnesty International

The Citizen by The Citizen
May 10 2014
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0
22
SHARES
734
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Amnesty International on Friday said the Nigerian military ignored advanced warnings on plan by the Boko Haram Islamic sect to carry out armed raid on Government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State.

A statement issued by AI’s Africa Director (Research and Advocacy), Netsanet Belay, said after independently verifying information based on multiple interviews with credible sources, “the Nigerian security forces had more than four hours of advance warning about the attack but did not do enough to stop it.”

He said, “Damning testimonies gathered by Amnesty International reveal that Nigerian security forces failed to act on advance warnings about Boko Haram’s armed raid on the state-run boarding school in Chibok which led to the abduction of more than 240 schoolgirls on 14-15 April.

“The fact that Nigerian security forces knew about Boko Haram’s impending raid, but failed to take the immediate action needed to stop it, will only amplify the national and international outcry at this horrific crime.

“It amounts to a gross dereliction of Nigeria’s duty to protect civilians, who remain sitting ducks for such attacks. The Nigerian leadership must now use all lawful means at their disposal to secure the girls’ safe release and ensure nothing like this can happen again.”

The organisation said it had confirmed through various sources that Nigeria’s military headquarters in Maiduguri “was aware of the impending attack soon after 7pm on April 14, close to four hours before Boko Haram began their assault on the town.”

The statement said, “But an inability to muster troops – due to poor resources and a reported fear of engaging with the often better-equipped armed groups – meant that reinforcements were not deployed to Chibok that night. The small contingent of security forces based in the town – 17 army personnel as well as local police –attempted to repel the Boko Haram assault but were overpowered and forced to retreat. One soldier reportedly died.

“More than three weeks later, the majority of the girls remain in captivity in an unknown location. A climate of confusion and suspicion has so far scuppered efforts to secure their release.”

According to Belay, AI had called on Boko Haram to immediately and unconditionally release the hostages into safety and stop all attacks on civilians.

“The abduction and continued detention of these school girls are war crimes, and those responsible must be brought to justice. Attacks on schools also violate the right to education and must be halted immediately,” he said.

The statement reads, “Between 7pm pn April 14 and 2am on April 15, the military commands in Damboa, 36.5km away from Chibok, and Maiduguri, 130km away from Chibok, were repeatedly alerted to the threat by both security and local officials.

“According to sources interviewed by Amnesty International, local civilian patrols (known as “vigilantes”, set up by the military and local authorities) in Gagilam, a neighbouring village, were among the first to raise the alarm on the evening of April 14 after a large group of unidentified armed men entered their village on motorbikes and said they were headed to Chibok.

This set off a rapid chain of phone calls to alert officials, including the Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, and senior military commanders based in Maiduguri.

“One local official who was contacted by Gagilam residents told Amnesty International: “At around 10:00 PM on 14 April, I called [several] security officers to inform them about earlier information I had received from the vigilantes in Gagilam village. They had told us that strange people had arrived in their village that evening on motorbikes and they said they were heading to Chibok. I made several other calls, including to Maiduguri. I was promised by the security people that reinforcement were on their way.”

According to AI, local official was contacted by herdsmen who said that armed men had asked where the Government Girls Secondary School was located in Chibok.

AI added that at around 11:45 PM, a convoy reportedly numbering up to 200 armed Boko Haram fighters – on motorbikes and in trucks – arrived in Chibok town and engaged in a gunfight with a small number of police and soldiers based there. Outnumbered and outgunned, the security forces eventually fled in the small hours of 15 April. Some of the Boko Haram fighters proceeded to the Government Girls Secondary School and abducted more than 240 schoolgirls.

Two senior officers in Nigeria’s armed forces, it said, confirmed that the military was aware of the planned attack even prior to the calls received from local officials. One officer said the commander was unable to mobilize reinforcements adding that he described to AI the difficulties faced by frontline soldiers in north-eastern Nigeria:

“There’s a lot of frustration, exhaustion and fatigue among officers and [troops] based in the hotspots…many soldiers are afraid to go to the battle fronts”, he reportedly said.

AI said its requests for a reaction from the military headquarters in Abuja have gone unanswered.

Belay said, “Since the 14 April raid, a climate of confusion and suspicion appears to have slowed down the Nigerian authorities’ efforts to locate and free the abducted schoolgirls. On 16 April, a senior Defence Ministry spokesperson said that almost all of the abducted girls had been rescued and only eight were still missing. The next day he had to retract that statement.

“The climate of suspicion and lack of transparency about the rescue effort has been unhelpful – all authorities must work together to ensure the girls are brought home safely and more must be done to protect civilians in future.”

Belay said the information on the advance warnings of the impending Boko Haram attack in Chibok came from multiple sources, including local officials and two senior military officers, interviewed by AI.

“The sources independently verified a list of Nigerian officials who were alerted on 14-15 April, before and during the raid on the Government Girls Secondary School. They have been kept anonymous for their safety”, he stated.

Share9Tweet6
Previous Post

Nigerian govt irresponsible in protecting youths – Hilary Clinton

Next Post

Chibok schoolgirls: ‘I can’t sleep until abducted girls are rescued’ – Jonathan

Related Posts

Anambra election: INEC opens portal for ad-hoc staff recruitment
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC releases timetable for 2027 elections

February 13 2026
Nnamdi Kanu appeals conviction, faults terrorism trial
Headlines

Nnamdi Kanu appeals conviction, faults terrorism trial

February 5 2026
US sends troops to Nigeria after December airstrikes
Headlines

US sends troops to Nigeria after December airstrikes

February 4 2026
Bandits kill village head, abduct others in Kaduna
Headlines

Bandits kill 30 in fresh Katsina, Kwara attacks

February 4 2026
Nigeria exits FATF grey list, posts N6.69tr trade surplus in Q3
Governance

Tinubu’s reforms saved 27 states from collapse – Information Minister

February 1 2026
Ebonyi earmarks N5bn for construction of 126 housing units for civil servants
Headlines

Ebonyi boundary killings: Gov Nwifuru shuts schools, banks, imposes curfew

February 1 2026
Next Post

Chibok schoolgirls: ‘I can’t sleep until abducted girls are rescued’ - Jonathan

Ukraine crisis: Putin visit to Crimea angers US, EU

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Umahi’s son Osborne, picks LG chairmanship form in Ebonyi

Umahi’s son Osborne, picks LG chairmanship form in Ebonyi

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

Ogun State cancels Awujale selection process

Ogun State cancels Awujale selection process

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

60 princes vie for Awujale stool as Ogun govt reviews selection process

60 princes vie for Awujale stool as Ogun govt reviews selection process

by The Editor
December 16 2025
0

...

Police dismiss gunmen attack in Lagos community

Police dismiss gunmen attack in Lagos community

by The Editor
December 12 2025
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu confers GCON on business associate, Chagoury

Tinubu confers GCON on business associate, Chagoury

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

FG targets Dana Air assets to refund trapped passenger funds

FG reshuffles NCAA directors amid corruption allegations

by The Editor
December 26 2025
0

...

Senate screens Tinubu’s nominees for NMDPRA, NUPRC

Senate screens Tinubu’s nominees for NMDPRA, NUPRC

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

Govt launches power outage reporting app

Pres. Tinubu reconstitutes NERC board

by The Editor
December 18 2025
0

...

ODDITIES

Nigerian nurse loses licence for sleeping during shift in Australia

Nigerian nurse loses licence for sleeping during shift in Australia

by The Editor
January 24 2026
0

Woman battling cancer seeks second wife for sex-starved husband

Woman battling cancer seeks second wife for sex-starved husband

by The Editor
December 27 2025
0

Man kills cousin over ₦1,000 burial refund in Delta State

Man kills cousin over ₦1,000 burial refund in Delta State

by The Editor
December 22 2025
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump charges $1bn for permanent seat on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’, invites Putin

Trump sets monthly targets for citizenship revocations

by The Editor
February 13 2026
0

...

I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

by The Editor
February 7 2026
0

...

Iran vows retaliation to US bombing of nuclear sites

Iran formally allows women to ride motorcycles

by The Editor
February 4 2026
0

...

Danish PM slams Trump over NATO Afghanistan remarks

Danish PM slams Trump over NATO Afghanistan remarks

by The Editor
January 24 2026
0

...

Trump threatens Canada with 100% tariff over trade deal with China

Trump threatens Canada with 100% tariff over trade deal with China

by The Editor
January 24 2026
0

...

State of the States

Sanwo-Olu signs 2026 Lagos budget into law

Sanwo-Olu signs 2026 Lagos budget into law

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

LASTMA dismisses five, sanctions 14 officers for misconduct

LASTMA dismisses five, sanctions 14 officers for misconduct

by The Editor
January 2 2026
0

...

Gombe governor leads funeral prayers for seven journalists

Gombe governor leads funeral prayers for seven journalists

by The Editor
December 30 2025
0

...

Gov. Adeleke signs Osun 2026 appropriation bill into law

Gov. Adeleke signs Osun 2026 appropriation bill into law

by The Editor
December 29 2025
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Trump charges $1bn for permanent seat on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’, invites Putin

Trump sets monthly targets for citizenship revocations

February 13 2026
Anambra election: INEC opens portal for ad-hoc staff recruitment

BREAKING: INEC releases timetable for 2027 elections

February 13 2026
I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

I made no mistake sharing video depicting Obamas as apes, says Trump

February 7 2026
Transcorp Power grows revenue to N398bn

Transcorp Power grows revenue to N398bn

February 7 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Tinubu denies Christian, Muslim genocide in Nigeria

Pay local contractors – Punch

by The Editor
February 4 2026
0

Drug tests for public office aspirants, a must – Punch

Drug tests for public office aspirants, a must – Punch

by The Editor
January 9 2026
0

Economy in 2026: From risk to recovery – Punch

Economy in 2026: From risk to recovery – Punch

by The Editor
January 2 2026
0

FG launches digital platform to transition to paperless operation

LGs: Executive Order opposes federalism – Punch

by The Editor
December 30 2025
0

US launches strikes against ISIS terrorists in Sokoto

Implications of US air strikes in Nigeria – Punch

by The Editor
December 29 2025
0

Opinion

SEC explains licence grant to two crypto exchanges in Nigeria

New cryptocurrency tax regime in Nigeria

by The Editor
January 20 2026
0

...

Air Peace pledges free evacuation, medicals for trafficked Nigerian girls in Ivory Coast

No, Nigerian airfares are not the cheapest

by The Editor
December 29 2025
0

...

Tax document fraud: Governance and trust deficit

Tax document fraud: Governance and trust deficit

by The Editor
December 22 2025
0

...

Peter Mbah’s visionary leadership and the rebirth of security in Enugu State

Peter Mbah’s visionary leadership and the rebirth of security in Enugu State

by The Editor
December 8 2025
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.