TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

I will never bite anyone again— Suarez

The Citizen by The Citizen
August 19 2014
in Latest News, Sport, Uncategorized
A A
0

Barcelona striker Luis Suarez said he has received professional help after receiving a four-month ban for biting an opponent for the third time in his career when he clashed with Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup.

Suarez made his debut for the Catalans in a 6-0 friendly win over Mexican side Club Leon on Monday, but will not be able to play a competitive game for Barca until late October after his appeal against the ban was thrown out by the Court of Arbitration for Sport last week.

“The suspension is what it is and I have to accept it, it is a personal matter but I have worked with the adequate professionals,” the Uruguayan said at his first press conference as a Barca player on Tuesday.

“I have tried to forget this game and this situation as well. It is a difficult moment for me and I would say to all the fans to not worry because I am not doing that anymore.”

Suarez was believed to have been a long-term target for Barca’s eternal rivals Real Madrid. However, Barca’s sporting vice-president Jordi Mestre said the player’s desire to come to Catalonia had allowed the club to negotiate a fee of 81 million euros (£65 million, $109 million) with Liverpool, £10 million less than the player’s £75 million release clause.

“There were options from other teams, but when the option of Barca became clear I didn’t have any doubts because it was a dream for me,” added Suarez.

“I still can’t believe it. It is something I have dreamed about but I never imagined such a beautiful dream would come true.”

Suarez could even make his competitive debut against Madrid should their first clash of the season be scheduled for Saturday, October 25 or the following day and he is determined to ensure he is as fit as possible when that game comes around in case coach Luis Enrique calls on him to start.

“It’s not the same but I had a similar situation last year at Liverpool, I started to play on September 20. It is a long time but if you keep focused with your teammates in training it helps.”

Barcelona already have a wealth of talent available in attacking areas with four-time World Player of the Year Lionel Messi and Brazilian star Neymar, meaning Suarez is likely to be forced into a role on the right side of the attack.

However, he insisted that won’t phase him as he dovetailed with Daniel Sturridge last year to form a deadly partnership that nearly delivered Liverpool’s first Premier League title in 24 years.

“I am prepared to play any position in attack. This last year I played on the left and on the right because Sturridge played as the number nine. I don’t have any problem playing in any position and adapting myself to what the coach demands.

“The quality that Leo and Ney have is amazing, they are players you admire. Yesterday I was watching them in the first half and they make you want to stop and applaud.” AFP

Previous Post

Boko Haram: Nigerian soldiers ‘mutiny over weapons’

Next Post

Nigeria faults UK newspaper allegation on war crimes

Related Posts

Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City
Latest News

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde
Governance

Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde

May 18 2026
FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians
Business

FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians

May 18 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
Latest News

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18 2026
Next Post

Nigeria faults UK newspaper allegation on war crimes

FG promises to establish DFI, as Uduaghan wins MSME award

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

May 19 2026

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.