TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Sierra Leone plans Ebola lockdown •It could spread disease further, aid agency warns

The Citizen by The Citizen
September 8 2014
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

A four-day nationwide lockdown announced by the Sierra Leone government in a bid to contain the biggest ever outbreak of Ebola could instead exacerbate the spread of the disease, aid agencies have warned.

From 18 to 21 September people across the west African nation will not be allowed to leave their homes, a senior official in the president’s office said on Friday.

But Medecins sans Frontieres (MSF), according to the Guardian UK, raised concern about the drastic step, warning that it could lead people to try to conceal infections from the authorities.

A spokeswoman said: “It has been our experience that lockdowns and quarantines do not help control Ebola as they end up driving people underground and jeopardising the trust between people and health providers. This leads to the concealment of potential cases and ends up spreading the disease further.”

The move was intended to allow health workers to identify and isolate new cases to prevent the disease from spreading further, said Ibrahim Ben Kargbo, a presidential adviser on the country’s Ebola task force.

“The aggressive approach is necessary to deal with the spread of Ebola once and for all,” he said.

There were riots in Monrovia, Liberia, after the government quarantined a community in one of the poorest areas of the capital last month.

The MSF spokeswoman said the spread of virus would be more effectively controlled with more specialist care beds. “What Sierra Leone and Liberia both urgently need are more beds in case management centres, and they need them now,” she said.

So far, more than 3,685 people have been infected in west Africa, with 1,841 deaths from the virus recorded in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea and Nigeria since March, according to the latest World Health Organisation (WHO) figures.

As of 4 September, Sierra Leone’s health and sanitation ministry had recorded 404 deaths. Last week, the WHO warned that there could be another 20,000 cases across west Africa before the outbreak is stopped.

Dr Mohamed Yilla, a Freetown obstetrician and country director of the MamaYe maternal health programme, told the Guardian the lockdown was a good idea but said it would be a challenge to enforce.

“If it is handled properly and we get it right, it will yield some significant results,” he said.

He said the outbreak was spreading because infected people were not going to hospital for treatment but were staying at home and passing the virus on to other family members.

This lack of trust in hospitals and doctors was also causing additional problems, he added.

“People still have heart attacks, children are still getting sick and mothers are still giving birth, but they are not showing up to the hospitals. We now have the potential for things like measles to start creeping up again. We have to be prepared for the bigger health crisis we have on our hands.”

Yilla said the immediate problem would be logistical. If 1,000 new potential cases were identified during the lockdown, there needed to be enough ambulances to transport them, staff to deal with blood screening and the correct facilities in hospitals.

Kargbo has said 21,000 people would be recruited to enforce the lockdown. Thousands of police officers and soldiers have already been deployed to enforce the quarantining of towns in Sierra Leone’s worst-hit regions, near the border with Guinea.

Tom Dannatt, founder of Street Child, a charity which employs 650 people in Sierra Leone and Liberia, also raised concern over the scale of the lockdown.

He said: “Can you imagine telling everyone in this country you have to stay at home for three days?”

He also expressed concerned about the country’s street children, many of whom live in food markets which will be closed. “Where will they go?” he asked.

But Dannatt said he hoped the measure would make the international community wake up to the severity of the outbreak. “It will highlight the fact Ebola is touching everyone. It’s not just the thousand who have contracted it,” he said.

“I can see in six or nine months’ time, people will say how did we get to this. But this is like watching a train coming down the tracks.”

Sierra Leone has confirmed 1,179 infections, including British nurse Will Pooley who has completely recovered from the virus after being airlifted out of the country by the RAF for treatment at the Royal Free hospital in London.

Pooley worked in the government hospital in Kenema, the third largest city in Sierra Leone, which has been quarantined for some time and is the centre of the outbreak.

More than 20 infected health workers have died in Sierra Leone since the start of the outbreak in March.

Earlier this week the director general of the WHO, Dr Margaret Chan, called for a massive global response to the outbreak and suggested it would take at least six to nine months to halt the virus and cost more than $600m (£365m).  Agency report

Previous Post

Ten confirmed dead in Colombia plane crash

Next Post

Fidelity Bank rewards more customers

Related Posts

Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City
Latest News

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde
Governance

Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde

May 18 2026
FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians
Business

FG introduces mandatory tax ID for all Nigerians

May 18 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
Latest News

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18 2026
Next Post

Fidelity Bank rewards more customers

One major airline group to emerge soon, says Rewane

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

May 19 2026

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.