TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Apapa gridlock raises haulage costs by 50% in one week

The Citizen by The Citizen
December 14 2020
in Business
A A
0
Apapa gridlock raises haulage costs by 50% in one week

Truckers have within one week raised the cost to move a container from the Tin Can Island Port, Lagos, to any other part of the city by 50 per cent, from N1.2 million to N1.8 million.

It was reported last week that haulage cost from Tin Can to any other part of Lagos had risen by more than 1,000 per cent from about N100,000 to about N1.2 million

Barely a year ago, the cost of trucking from the Tin Can Port was about N300,000.

The haulage cost from Tin Can Port is now three times the cost of haulage from the Apapa Port, which has remained at N600, 000 since the beginning of this year.

During an on-the-spot assessment over the weekend, truck operators attributed the escalating cost of haulage services at the Tin Can Port to extortion by security operators, including Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) security officials, police and the presidential task team on Apapa gridlock.

The truck drivers said that they pay more than N200, 000 per truck to gain access to the port.

However, promises by the NPA and the Nigerian Shippers’ Council (NSC) to curtail extortion and repair the roads to enable free flow of traffic have remained unfulfilled.

Speaking on the development, the Managing Director of Port & Cargo Handling Services, Mr. John Jenkins, expressed frustration over the near total collapse of cargo delivery along the Mile 2/Tin Can Island port access road.

He said: “Transfer of containers by road is almost not in existence because the road is blocked and you can’t get containers out. The problem is the road. If the problem of the road is solved, the problem inside the port will be solved.

“Before, we never had block stack containers because the cargo used to move freely but not anymore now. There are in excess of 40 vessels at anchorage. At Port & Cargo, we could only bring seven alongside now. Last month, we kept one of the MSC vessels there for four days because they could not discharge and this month, we have kept vessels for more than two days already because we don’t know where to put the containers.

“I have worked in this port industry all my life. I have never seen roads like this. We could form a palliative solution. We are not happy; we got people losing their means of livelihood every day because of the poor condition of the road.”

The Chairman, Association of Maritime Truck Owners (AMATO), Chief Remi Ogungbemi, described the situation at the ports as befuddling.

“What is happening at Tin Can is a situation of the more you look, the less you see. Business is still going on as usual and the task team has refused to leave because they are benefiting from the chaos. They have formed a cartel and if you are not in that group, they will not pass your truck no matter who you are,” he added.

A clearing agent operating at the Tin Can Island Port, Mr. Ojo Akintoye, said there are more than four roadblocks between Tin Can Island Port First and Second Gates set up by the Presidential Task Team, the police and NPA officials where each truck is expected to bribe officials before being allowed passage into the port.

He said: “The extortion by NPA (security officials) and other security agencies who claim to be controlling traffic on the road is the cause of the impediment we are experiencing daily along the port access road.

“From First Gate to Second Gate, we have about four road blocks mounted by the security agents and the trucks must part with money before they can move.”

The National Vice President, Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents (ANLCA), Prince Kayode Farinto, called for the disbandment of the Presidential Task Team, which he said has become “a money-making machine.”

According to him, clearing agents lose an average of N300 million weekly to illegal collection by NPA security officials, the police and members of the Presidential Task Team, adding that to enter the port, truckers pay as high as N280,000 to security operatives on the road.

Last week, the NPA in a statement promised to curtail “rent seeking” on the port access road after the Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN) threatened to go on strike due to the harrowing experience suffered by its members in accessing the port.

Also, last Wednesday, the House of Representatives asked the federal government to disband the Presidential Task Team, stressing that it has outlived its usefulness and is allegedly participating in extortion and contributing to the congestion of the Lagos ports.

The lawmakers had also urged government and other security agencies to immediately end extortion of truck drivers.

“Concerned that in addition to the poor condition of the port access roads, extortion by officials of the Nigerian Ports Authority Security Department, the police, and the Presidential Task Force remain the major cause of unending gridlock along the port access roads, with stakeholders such as importers, clearing agents and truck owners alleging that they are forced to pay as much as N250,000 to N280,000 per truck for entries and exits to the ports.

“These apparatus milking the stakeholders at the expense of the nation should be held accountable, while the task force, which has demonstrated that it has outlived its usefulness, should be disbanded forthwith,” one of the lawmakers, Hon. Leke Abejide, who sponsored a motion of “urgent national importance” on the issue, had said.

Abejide said that businesses, commuters, and residents along the access roads “see hell on a daily basis as they are subjected to nuisance, pollution, and emissions to the environment.”

According to him, due to the challenges of inaccessibility to the ports in Lagos, it now takes an average of 60 days to turnaround a vessel as against the five days it used to be.

At present, no fewer than 40 ships calling at the Tin Can Island Port are stranded at anchorage due to lack of space to discharge new cargoes at terminals in the port, as cargo evacuation from the port has been hampered by multiple toll points mounted by security operatives including men of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) security department, the Nigeria police, Nigerian Army and officials of the Presidential Task Team.

The situation has negatively affected port operation as cargo delivery has been considerably slowed down, leading to astronomical rise in haulage and shipping cost, thereby fuelling inflation in the country.

Meanwhile, Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN) has directed all its members in Eastern ports to commence an indefinite strike from today in protest over the retrenchment of 500 workers by the management of Integrated Logistics Services (INTELS) Nigeria Limited and the Associated Maritime Services (AMS) Limited.

The union said the strike would last until the management of INTELS and AMS withdraw the sack letters issued to their members and resume negotiations with the unions.

It also stated that the strike would not be called off until there is a guarantee from the management of Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA) that security operatives will no longer be used to deal with or settle industrial relations issues in the sector.

In a statement signed by the Secretary General of MWUN, Mr. Felix Akingboye, the union urged the federal government to investigate the deployment of armed security operatives to disrupt a peaceful gathering of workers.

It called for sanctions against those who brought the security operatives that brutalised, intimidated and harassed its members.

MWUN decried what it termed increasing unfair labour practice and assault on its members in INTELS Nigeria Limited and AMS Limited.

According to Akingboye, “the height of the anti-labour practices by these two companies were the sacking of over 500 of our members on December 4, 2020 in the midst of the union’s negotiations with the companies over improved welfare and the conditions of service for workers- our members.

“In the course of the negotiations that started about a week earlier, the union requested for a break to enable us hold a National Executive Council (NEC) meeting on Friday, 4 December 2020. To our greatest shock, while the union was holding its NEC, the two companies issued redundancy letters to over 500 of our members.

“We wrote to the two managements to withdraw the redundancy letters for us to resume negotiations in a peaceful and harmonious environment. They did not only refuse, but follow up the redundancy letters by locking out our members on Monday December 7, 2020.”

The union alleged that the management unleashed armed security operatives on its members and inflicted various degrees of injuries on them, leading some of them to receive treatment in hospitals.

“As a law-abiding union, we cannot accept the illegal use of security operatives to deal with industrial relations issue where unarmed workers are brutalise, intimidated and harassed,” it added. – Thisday.

Previous Post

Civil servant paid self N145m PIB media fund – Senate

Next Post

Coronavirus: Sanwo-Olu responding to treatment, says commissioner

Related Posts

NCAA to automate baggage tracking
Business

NCAA to automate baggage tracking

August 16 2026
BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors
Business

BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

August 16 2026
Nigerian airlines to commence direct flights to UAE
Business

NCAA to sanction airlines preventing workers’ union

August 13 2026
Lagos inaugurates Agege food hub to cut losses, ease distribution
Business

Lagos inaugurates Agege food hub to cut losses, ease distribution

August 13 2026
NCC urges fibre infrastructure protection during road construction
Business

NCC urges fibre infrastructure protection during road construction

August 12 2026
Senate rejects motion to investigate phantom agency N1.3bn budget allocation
Business

Senate gives Seplat, three oil firms 48 hours to answer NEITI queries

August 12 2026
Next Post
Lagos COVID-19 cases abscond after tests

Coronavirus: Sanwo-Olu responding to treatment, says commissioner

#EndSARS: Army denies unleashing Operation Crocodile Smile to disrupt protests

20 Army Generals test positive for COVID-19, SGF in isolation

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Kano Assembly suspends three LG chairmen for alleged misconduct

Kano Assembly suspends three LG chairmen for alleged misconduct

by The Editor
August 4 2026
0

...

NDDC trains traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal, newborn deaths

NDDC trains traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal, newborn deaths

by The Editor
July 29 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints new special adviser on House of Reps matters

Tinubu appoints new special adviser on House of Reps matters

by The Editor
July 27 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Queen Elizabeth dies at 96, Charles becomes King

UK radio broke rules in announcing king’s death — Official

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

State of the States

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Kebbi governor convenes emergency security meeting

Kebbi governor convenes emergency security meeting

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Cross River Igbo community alleges illegal taxation, seeks government intervention

Cross River pegs presidential campaign ads at N150m, guber N100m

August 16 2026
NCAA to automate baggage tracking

NCAA to automate baggage tracking

August 16 2026
BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

August 16 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Opinion

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Trump’s U-turn on Iran war ends Israel’s Middle East dream

Trump’s U-turn on Iran war ends Israel’s Middle East dream

by The Editor
June 17 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.