TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Appeal Court rejects motions to stop Saraki, Dasuki, Metuh’s trials

The Citizen by The Citizen
April 26 2016
in Financial Crimes, Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Court of Appeal in Abuja said on Monday that it would no longer hear applications for a stay of proceedings in the trials of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki; a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.); and the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olisa Metuh.

Justice Abdul Aboki, who presided over the three-man panel of the appeal court when Metuh’s appeal was mentioned on Monday, gave a clear warning against the filing of notice of a stay of proceedings.

“We have decided that we will not hear motion for a stay of proceedings. You should go back to the court to argue your application before the court and pursue your appeal before us,” Justice Aboki said.

He did not say whether the court’s position was only limited to only criminal cases or it would also affect civil appeals.

In response, Metuh’s lawyer, Mr. Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN), said he thought he would be allowed to convince the court on the merit of the motion for a stay of proceedings which he filed on behalf of his client.

Justice Aboki said, “We are not going to allow that, even if you file it, we are going to dismiss it straightaway.”

Metuh and his company, Destra Investments Limited, had filed separate notices of appeal against the ruling of Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court in Abuja, dismissing their application for a no-case submission.

The PDP’s spokesperson is being prosecuted along with his company before Justice Abang by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on seven counts, including money laundering involving $2m cash transaction.

Other counts bordered on alleged fraud involving N400m, which he allegedly received in November 2014 from the Office of the NSA, then under the leadership of Dasuki.

The Court of Appeal on Monday directed the prosecuting counsel, Mr. Tahir Sylvanus, to file new separate notices of appeal, instead of the only one which he had filed, against the two notices of appeal filed for Metuh and Destra Investments Limited.

Metuh’s appeal was adjourned till May 5 for hearing.

On his part, Saraki filed an appeal before the court to challenge the March 24, 2016 ruling of the Code of Conduct Tribunal in Abuja, where he is being prosecuted on 13 counts of false asset declaration.

Earlier on Monday, Saraki’s  lawyer, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), who appeared before the three-man panel of the appeal court, voluntarily withdrew the application for a stay of proceedings, which he filed accompanying his client’s notice of appeal.

But Dasuki’s lawyer, Mr. Joseph Daudu (SAN), who also appeared before the same appeal court’s panel on Monday with respect to his client’s appeal, said he would take the decision on whether or not to withdraw his motions for a stay of proceedings after receiving EFCC’s respondent’s brief.

“If I see the respondent’s brief, I will be able to make the decision,” Daudu said.

Dasuki filed the notices of appeal with respect to two separate appeals, challenging the rulings of Justices Baba Yusuf and Peter Affen of the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Maitama, dismissing the ex-NSA’s applications seeking the orders stopping his trial.

Justices Yusuf and Affen had, on February 8 and March 4 respectively, dismissed the separate applications by Dasuki, asking for orders prohibiting the EFCC from prosecuting him on two sets of charges of diversion of funds meant for procurement of arms.

Justice Adeniyi Ademola of a Federal High Court in Abuja also on April 19 dismissed a similar application which like the two others, was anchored on the ex-NSA’s continued detention in the custody of the Department of State Services since December 29, 2015.

The appeal court said on Monday that dates for hearing the appeals by Saraki and Dasuki would be communicated to the parties through their lawyers. Punch

Previous Post

Jonathan calls for strengthening of democracy in Africa

Next Post

FG requires N2trn to complete ongoing road projects – Fashola

Related Posts

Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers
Headlines

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
93 percent of inmates are state offenders, half don’t need jail — Interior Minister
Headlines

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21 2026
US Congress okays bill to cut foreign aid to Nigeria
Headlines

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

August 21 2026
NDLEA intercepts Europe-bound cocaine consignments
Financial Crimes

NDLEA opposes bail for 10 in N480bn Ogun meth lab

August 21 2026
DSS rejects foreign funding for proposed security trust fund
Headlines

DSS alerts Sokoto as terrorists target tertiary institutions

August 21 2026
Governance

States get special N435bn for security, infrastructure

August 21 2026
Next Post

FG requires N2trn to complete ongoing road projects - Fashola

Nigeria set to lose status among world’s largest LNG exporters

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.