TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Burkina Faso coup leader to hand over power to civilian govt

meira by meira
September 22 2015
in Global News, Uncategorized
A A
0

Burkina Faso’s coup leader has apologised to the nation and said that he would hand over power to a civilian transitional government.

The statement issued by General Gilbert Diendere to journalists in Burkina Faso came after the military threatened on Monday to forcibly disarm presidential guard members led by him, who were responsible for last week’s coup ahead of October 11 polls.

Diendere said he would release the interim prime minister who has been under house arrest since the coup.

After the announcement, troops who had converged on the capital Ouagadougou to try to disarm the coup government returned to their barracks.

“All the national armed forces are converging on Ouagadougou with the sole aim of disarming the presidential guard without any bloodshed,” a military statement had earlier said.

Al Jazeera’s Nicolas Haque, reporting from Ouagadougou, said people were taking to the streets by the military headquarters to celebrate what they hoped meant the end to the coup and the chance of elections later this year.

Several people have been killed and dozens others injured during demonstrations against the coup.

Regional mediators spent the weekend trying to broker a compromise between the military government that seized power in a coup last week and other politicians in the West African country.

They announced a plan late on Sunday that called for new elections by the end of November. However, Diendere did not attend the news conference where the draft agreement was read aloud.

Interim President Michel Kafando voiced reservations about the proposal in a radio interview on Monday, saying: “I have reservations about this draft agreement” which leaves “deep-rooted problems” without solutions.”

In a concession to Diendere and his supporters, the plan would allow loyalists of the former longtime president to take part in the vote.

One of the chief reasons cited for the coup was that an electoral code approved earlier this year banned members of the former ruling party from running for office.

Under that plan, Diendere would step aside and the interim president he overthrew would be reinstalled until the vote.

The draft plan will go before the West African regional bloc known as the Economic Community of West African States, or ECOWAS, in Nigeria on Tuesday.

Blaise Compaore served as president for 27 years, and his bid to further extend his rule prompted massive street protests and eventually led to his overthrow. – Aljazeera.

Previous Post

Need for forensic and investigation audit on power sector – Punch

Next Post

Olympic qualifier: Siasia banks on Iheanacho, Awoniyi to boost Dream Team

Related Posts

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping
Global News

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

May 12 2026
Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership
Global News

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

May 12 2026
Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs
Global News

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

May 8 2026
New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks
Global News

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

May 7 2026
France to raise tuition fees for non-EU students
Global News

France to raise tuition fees for non-EU students

May 7 2026
US diplomat meets Pope Leo XIV in bid to ease tensions
Global News

US diplomat meets Pope Leo XIV in bid to ease tensions

May 7 2026
Next Post

Olympic qualifier: Siasia banks on Iheanacho, Awoniyi to boost Dream Team

Fed Govt declares Thursday, Friday public holidays

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

FirstBank confirms appointment of Olayinka Ijabiyi as Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications

FirstBank confirms appointment of Olayinka Ijabiyi as Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications

by The Editor
May 1 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Gombe magistrate lands in jail for bribery

Gombe magistrate lands in jail for bribery

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

France to raise tuition fees for non-EU students

France to raise tuition fees for non-EU students

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Davido backs Adeleke’s re-election, joins campaign mobilisation in Osun

Otti pledges to keep security as top priority in Abia

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

May 17 2026
Akume’s wife, Mark’s daughter pick Benue APC Reps tickets

Akume’s wife, Mark’s daughter pick Benue APC Reps tickets

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

Oyo abduction: Please come to our aid – Abducted school principal cries out from captivity

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

May 17 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Outrageous extrajudicial Delta police killing – Punch

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.