TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

FG insists NFF election must hold August 26

The Citizen by The Citizen
August 23 2014
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Federal Government yesterday waded into the dispute over the Nigeria Football Federation’s (NFF) electoral congress and got the federation’s warring parties to agree that the polls would hold on August 26 in Abuja as scheduled.

  The Federal Government also got the electoral committee to agree to accept the candidature of those, who complained that they could not get access to the polls’ forms.

  Such complainants include Amanze Uchegbulam, Abel Ehigie, Suleiman Kwande and Mr. Ewa of Bayelsa State.

  Secretary to the Federal Government, Pius Anyim, who summoned the warring parties in the NFF to his office in Abuja yesterday, prevailed on the stakeholders to ensure that nothing scuttled Tuesday’s elections.

  Anyim’s intervention, sources told The Guardian, was as a result of the crisis that has trailed the electoral congress since the impeachment of Aminu Maigari as NFF president by a faction in the federation’s board.

  The crisis rocking the leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has seen the factions in the board fighting over the control of the electoral committee.

   The NFF had before the June/July 2014 World Cup fixed the polls for August 26 in Warri, but the trouble that ensued just after Nigeria’s ouster from the Copa Du Mundo put a question mark on the possibility of the electoral congress holding on that date.

  Recently, the Mike Umeh-led faction of the NFF shifted the polls to Abuja to hold on the same day, while Maigari and his loyalists insisted that it would hold in Warri.

 The Maigari board later postponed the polls quoting world football governing body, FIFA, as source of its power for that action. But the Electoral Committee will hear nothing of such from anybody, insisting that the elective congress will hold on the said date, but now in Abuja.

  The electoral committee chairman, Amoni Biambo, accused the NFF of deceiving Nigerians with threats and letters from FIFA, arguing that the world football governing body did not intervene on any member nation’s electoral process.

  Biambo on Thursday at the Bolton White Hotel, Abuja, resisted attempts by the NFF General Secretary, Musa Amadu, to prevail on him to stop a media briefing on the electoral procedure.

  He refused to accept a letter, which Amadu claimed emanated from FIFA, saying it was unlike FIFA to meddle into the electoral programmes of its affiliate members.

 The committee earlier disclosed that it had cleared Mike Umeh, Segun Odegbami and Taiwo Ogunjobi to participate in the August 26 polls, adding that it decided to move the election venue from Warri to Abuja for security reasons.

  He noted that the purported extension of election date was false, stressing that both FIFA and CAF had already promised send their officials to monitor the election.

  “Having followed due process of the 60 days period before the election into the NFF executive committee; having collected/collated all nomination forms from various interested candidates vying for different positions into the executive committee; having screened all candidates that submitted their nomination forms to the electoral committee, including those forms that were submitted within the grace period; and having published the list of cleared candidates for the election proper, we hereby categorically state that as an independent body that is saddled with the responsibility of conducting election into all arms of the federation, as it is stipulated in the statute of the NFF, that August 26 still remains the proper date for the election,” he said.

  Biambo said despite the wrangling in the country’s football house, all “stakeholders should understand that Nigerian football is greater than the ambitions of a single individual or a group of persons in the football house. 

  “It is unfortunate that they made me the chairman of the electoral committee, but I am not playing anybody’s script for the good of Nigerian football because this is the only thing that gives joy to hundreds of millions of Nigeria.   

  “Therefore, some few individuals should not kill the joy of Nigerians. They should not tie their stomach to the Glass House. I am bleeding in my heart that most of them do not have a source of income; therefore, they see the leadership of Nigerian football as a do or die affair.

  “We should not allow a few ambitious individuals at the Glass House to continue to deceive us that they got this letter from here or there; it is very unlawful to be brandishing such fictitious letters, which they use to intimidate Nigerians in the name of FIFA.” The Guardian

Previous Post

Atiku applauds APC’s modified primaries for Adamawa poll

Next Post

On Cecilia Ibru’s daughter, Vivi, Aleksander Stankov’s sad end

Related Posts

APC waives primaries screening for Tinubu
Latest News

Tinubu wins APC presidential primary with 10.9m votes

May 24 2026
Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher
Governance

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ
Headlines

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026
Tinubu denies Christian, Muslim genocide in Nigeria
Headlines

Pres. Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 22 2026
BBC to air groundbreaking documentary on Biafran War
Latest News

BBC to air groundbreaking documentary on Biafran War

May 22 2026
APC imposes two-week deadline for presidential, guber, NASS forms
Latest News

APC unveils 25 guber candidates as Kwara, Bauchi primaries suffer delay

May 22 2026
Next Post

On Cecilia Ibru’s daughter, Vivi, Aleksander Stankov’s sad end

Ita Giwa’s daughter, Koko, gets proposal letter from fiancee’s family

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

Hoodlums kill Imo nursing student

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

Sierra Leone welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Benue governor secures return ticket

Benue governor secures return ticket

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

Lagos restricts access to magistrate courts, denies ban on sureties

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
APC waives primaries screening for Tinubu

Tinubu wins APC presidential primary with 10.9m votes

May 24 2026
Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

Deputy speaker, 15 other Niger Assembly lawmakers fail to secure APC return tickets

May 22 2026
Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

Kidnappings: Oyo suspends field trips, excursions as family buries slain teacher

May 22 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ

Police deny rescue of abducted Oyo students, teachers

May 22 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

School attacks and the death of ethics

School attacks and the death of ethics

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

...

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.