TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Fraudulent arms deal denied Nigerian troops weapons to fight Boko Haram – Buhari

The Citizen by The Citizen
November 18 2015
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

Nigerian troops were denied weapons to fight Boko Haram and thousands of lives were lost because of rampant fraud in the procurement process, President Muhammadu Buhari has alleged.
Buhari ordered anyone involved in corrupt multi-billion dollar deals for weapons and equipment to be “brought to book” after receiving a report from a committee set up to probe the issue.
“The findings made so far are extremely worrying considering that the interventions were granted within the same period that our troops fighting the insurgency in the northeast were in desperate need of platforms, military equipment and ammunition,” he said late Tuesday.
“Had the funds siphoned to these non-performing companies been properly used for the purpose they were meant for, thousands of needless Nigerian deaths would have been avoided.”
Buhari, a retired army general and former military ruler, came to power in May, vowing to crush the Islamist rebels whose insurgency has killed at least 17,000 people since 2009.
Front-line troops serving under his predecessor Goodluck Jonathan frequently complained the militants were better armed and they lacked the proper equipment, including bullets, to fight.
In one instance, some frustrated soldiers fired shots at their commander’s vehicle. They were court-martialed, found guilty of mutiny and sentenced to death.
The complaints came despite Nigeria having one of Africa’s biggest defence budgets.
Buhari, who has vowed to crack down on endemic corruption, set up a 13-member committee to probe arms procurement between 2007 and 2015 and spoke out after receiving its interim report.
According to the statement from his office late Tuesday, the investigation “unearthed several illicit and fraudulent financial transactions”.
– ‘Failed contracts’ –
Some $5.3 billion was provided to the Office of the National Security Advisor, Defence Headquarters and the headquarters of the army, navy and air force, the statement said.
“It was observed that in spite of this huge financial intervention, very little was expended to support defence procurement,” it added.
Some 53 of 513 contracts awarded were “failed contracts” and the former national security advisor Sambo Dasuki sanctioned huge payments without contractual evidence or explanations.
The statement alleged Dasuki “awarded fictitious and phantom contracts” totalling some $2 billion, supposedly to buy four Alpha (fighter) jets, 12 helicopters, bombs and ammunition.
But they “were not executed and the equipment (was) never supplied to the Nigerian Air Force, neither are they in its inventory”, it added.
The report also claimed Dasuki asked Nigeria‘s central bank to transfer $132 million and almost 10 million euros to accounts in West Africa, Britain and theUnited States “for unascertained purposes, without documents to explain the transactions”.
“It is worrisome and disappointing that those entrusted with the security of this great nation were busy using proxies to siphon the national treasury, while innocent lives were wasted daily,” Buhari said.
Dasuki, a 60-year-old former army colonel, is already facing money laundering and illegal possession of weapons charges.
Security agents have so far refused to allow him travel abroad for medical treatment, despite a court order that ruled in his favour.
Dasuki said in response to the accusations he had never been invited to appear before the committee and he was “surprised” and “embarrassed” at the allegations.
He defended his record in office, which coincided with a turnaround in the military’s fortunes from early this year, and said he would “leave Nigerians to judge”.

Previous Post

Ugwuanyi hails Fr. Mbaka for boosting job creation in Enugu

Next Post

Court convicts British couple for keeping Nigerian as slave for 24 years

Related Posts

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs
Headlines

BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs

August 16 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs
Governance

State Police: Presidency extends memorandum submission deadline

August 13 2026
Police summon Osun senator over incitement to kill Accord party members
Headlines

Police summon Osun senator over incitement to kill Accord party members

August 12 2026
You can’t give students loans in a broken economy — ASUU President, Piwuna
Headlines

ASUU orders 20 varsities to prepare for strike, gives FG, states 14-day ultimatum

August 12 2026
Next Post

Court convicts British couple for keeping Nigerian as slave for 24 years

Italian Judge to rule on Eni, Shell indictment over Nigeria Dec. 20

Bayo Ojulari takes over as new SNEPCo MD

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Kano Assembly suspends three LG chairmen for alleged misconduct

Kano Assembly suspends three LG chairmen for alleged misconduct

by The Editor
August 4 2026
0

...

NDDC trains traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal, newborn deaths

NDDC trains traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal, newborn deaths

by The Editor
July 29 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints new special adviser on House of Reps matters

Tinubu appoints new special adviser on House of Reps matters

by The Editor
July 27 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

EU denies pulling out of Nigeria’s 2027 election observation

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Queen Elizabeth dies at 96, Charles becomes King

UK radio broke rules in announcing king’s death — Official

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

State of the States

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Kebbi governor convenes emergency security meeting

Kebbi governor convenes emergency security meeting

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Cross River Igbo community alleges illegal taxation, seeks government intervention

Cross River pegs presidential campaign ads at N150m, guber N100m

August 16 2026
NCAA to automate baggage tracking

NCAA to automate baggage tracking

August 16 2026
BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

BOI targets 80% loans for power, manufacturing sectors

August 16 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

We need strong civil aviation authority – Punch

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Opinion

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Trump’s U-turn on Iran war ends Israel’s Middle East dream

Trump’s U-turn on Iran war ends Israel’s Middle East dream

by The Editor
June 17 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.