TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Kenya court halts opening of US Ebola quarantine facility

The Editor by The Editor
May 31 2026
in Global News
A A
0
Kenya court halts opening of US Ebola quarantine facility

A Kenyan court has suspended US plans to open an Ebola quarantine facility for American citizens in the country that has sparked public concern about cross-border infection risks.

The 50-bed isolation centre is to be staffed by US medics and was due to begin operations on Friday, according to an American official. The Kenyan government has not directly commented on the plan.

In its court petition, rights group the Katiba Institute warned that the arrangement posed “grave and imminent risks” to public health.

A High Court judge barred the operation of any Ebola facility in Kenya by any foreign government until the case is heard.

The exact location for the US treatment centre was not disclosed by the American authorities, but lawmakers from Laikipia county, central Kenya, have raised objections after reports emerged that it would be established in their area.

MPs called on the government to be clear about the details, saying they saw “no logic” in Kenya or Laikipia hosting the medical facility.

County Governor Joshua Irungu has also opposed the plan.

Satellite imagery of an air base in Laikipia shows that an area just over the size of three football pitches had been cleared at some point between Monday and Friday. The reason for the earthworks has not been announced.

The US isolation centre is intended to treat US citizens believed to have been exposed to the virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, according to US officials.

The current Ebola outbreak, which is centred in the east of DR Congo, is suspected to have caused at least 220 deaths and more than 900 infections so far, the Congolese authorities say.

There have also been nine cases and one death in Uganda.

A note of optimism came on Friday when the World Health Organization confirmed that an Ebola patient in DR Congo had made a successful recovery.

“This is the first one” to be discharged from a care centre “following two negative tests”, Anais Legand, a WHO technical officer on viral haemorrhagic fevers, was quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

Referring to plans to staff the treatment centre in Kenya a US official said “the first group has deployed. These individuals received extensive training in the use of PPE [personal protective equipment], in the use of proper quarantine techniques”.

“We’re going to be ready to take care of our citizens as needed,” the official added.

Kenya was selected because of “its proximity [to the location of the outbreak] and to ensure Americans can be treated in a timely matter”, the official said.

But in its ruling, the court in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, specifically restrained government agencies and officials from “establishing, operationalising, facilitating, approving or permitting” any Ebola-related quarantine, isolation or treatment centre tied to arrangements with the US or any foreign government in Kenya.

Justice Patricia Nyaundi barred authorities from admitting into Kenya anyone exposed to or infected with Ebola under the proposed arrangement.

The Katiba Institute argued that there was an imminent threat to life if the plans proceeded without safeguards.

The court agreed that public interest justified issuing interim orders while the matter was heard.

This comes amid heightened public concern and widespread criticism following reports that the US could send Ebola-exposed individuals to Kenya for observation or treatment.

The reports have triggered anxiety online, with many Kenyans questioning whether the country has sufficient containment capacity to safely manage such cases.

Kenya’s largest doctors’ union accused the government of engaging in “backdoor negotiations” and demanded the immediate release of any bilateral agreements underpinning the plan.

The Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union (KMPDU) questioned why Kenya was allegedly selected to host a quarantine facility for exposed US citizens, despite not being at the epicentre of the outbreak.

Kenya, East Africa’s largest economy, had not recorded any Ebola cases as of Friday.

The union said it was “utterly disgusted” by what it described as the government’s willingness to compromise Kenya’s national biosecurity in exchange for foreign aid.

“If it is too dangerous for America, it is too dangerous for Kenya,” the union stated, referencing what it claimed was Washington’s refusal to allow Ebola cases on to US soil.

Davji Bhimji Atellah, KMPDU’s secretary general, said the union “will not sit back and watch Kenya be treated as a containment colony for a lethal pathogen that we did not generate.”

The union also objected to reports suggesting that the facility could be staffed by the US officials instead of Kenyan healthcare professionals.

“We will not tolerate an apartheid healthcare model on Kenyan soil,” KMPDU warned.

The medical group gave the Kenyan government a 48-hour ultimatum to disclose details of the negotiations or risk nationwide industrial action.

“Kenya is a sovereign republic, not a geopolitical isolation ward,” it added.

But in a statement after meeting foreign diplomats in Nairobi on Thursday, Kenya’s President William Ruto said: “We agreed on the importance of cooperation and avoiding isolationism, recognising that public health threats do not respect borders and require coordinated regional and global action.

“Kenya will continue to act transparently, responsibly, and decisively to protect lives while contributing to regional and global health security,” Ruto added.

He did not, however, directly refer to the US plans to establish the Ebola treatment centre.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also spoke with Ruto on the telephone on Thursday, Rubio’s spokesperson said in a statement, adding that Washington intends to provide $13.5m (£10.7 m) in aid to fund Kenya’s Ebola preparedness efforts.

The amount is part of a larger $112m US commitment for the regional response to the outbreak. – BBC.

Previous Post

Suspect kills two to avenge parents’, brothers’ deaths

Next Post

Davido distances self from City Boys Movement

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory
Global News

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

August 20 2026
Trump threatens to bomb Oman
Global News

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

August 18 2026
Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test
Global News

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

August 18 2026
Global News

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

August 13 2026
Next Post
Davido distances self from City Boys Movement

Davido distances self from City Boys Movement

70% of Nigerian firms depend on generators – AfDB

70% of Nigerian firms depend on generators – AfDB

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.