TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Military approach will not end pro-Biafran protests —Kukah

The Citizen by The Citizen
December 24 2015
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Matthew Kukah, says a military approach will not end pro-Biafran protests across the country.

Kukah, who spoke in an interview with our correspondent on Tuesday, was reacting to the fresh charges filed against the founder of Radio Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu.

The cleric insisted that the Federal Government should settle the crisis arising from the agitation for Biafra out of court.

The Federal Government had on Friday filed six counts, including treasonable felony, against Kanu before a Federal High Court in Abuja.

Kanu’s detention is fuelling pro-Biafran protests across the country.

Kukah said, “A military and judicial approach would not work. We are in a democracy where dialogue, diplomacy and patience are the hallmarks of good leadership. The Federal Government should open a backdoor channel to get Kanu to renounce alleged hate speeches and violence.

“My position on Kanu is straightforward. I am not in any way saying that he is innocent but in order to avoid upheavals and tension, the government should settle through engagement. One of the parties has to trade something for something else. We are not in a military regime. Dialogue is the solution.”

The cleric also called on President Muhammadu Buhari to treat the recent killings of some members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria by the Nigerian Army in Zaria as a national disaster.

He said he expected the President to declare a national mourning due to the number of deaths recorded in the clash.

Many lives were lost when soldiers clashed with the members of the group also known as Shi’ite, in Zaria last week.

Members of the group reportedly blocked a federal highway and tried to prevent the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai’s motorcade from driving through.

He said, “As far as I am concerned, the Zaria killing is a national disaster. I expected the President to have declared a national mourning, especially because of the number of people that lost their lives. There is no way the President would not be held responsible because the buck stops at his table. However, this is not the time to apportion blame because there is enough blame to go round.”

Kukah, therefore, shunned calls for the removal of Buratai over the killings, saying that would not bring back those that lost their lives.

He said Buhari’s critics should wait for the panel of enquiry inaugurated to investigate the killings to submit their report. – Punch.

Previous Post

Van Gaal storms out of news briefing as speculations deepen over future

Next Post

2016: Gov. Masari presents N111.4bn budget proposal to State Assembly

Related Posts

APC imposes two-week deadline for presidential, guber, NASS forms
Latest News

APC unveils 25 guber candidates as Kwara, Bauchi primaries suffer delay

May 22 2026
Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty
Latest News

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

May 21 2026
Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ
Latest News

Terrorists responsible for Oyo kidnapping, says DHQ

May 21 2026
FG budgets N135bn for 2027 election lawsuits
Headlines

Tinubu denies plans to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

May 21 2026
91 groups seek INEC registration as coalition talks gather steam
Headlines

Court vacates INEC deadline for primaries, nomination of candidates

May 21 2026
Rivers State: I have no links to militants, says Fubara
Headlines

BREAKING: Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

May 20 2026
Next Post

2016: Gov. Masari presents N111.4bn budget proposal to State Assembly

Gov. Ugwuanyi budgets N85.1bn for 2016

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

Elumelu joins Seplat board after $496m share acquisition

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Prof as new JAMB registrar

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

Police arrest officer for threating to kill anyone recording him on duty

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

Tinubu to launch AU combined maritime task force for Gulf of Guinea

by The Editor
May 21 2026
0

...

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

State of the States

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

Kano closes schools for Eid-el-Kabir

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

...

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Men’s Health: New laser prostate treatment cuts surgery risks, prevents kidney damage – Dr Paul Ngwu, Consultant Urologist & Laparoscopic Surgeon

Men’s Health: New laser prostate treatment cuts surgery risks, prevents kidney damage – Dr Paul Ngwu, Consultant Urologist & Laparoscopic Surgeon

May 22 2026
Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

May 22 2026
APC imposes two-week deadline for presidential, guber, NASS forms

APC unveils 25 guber candidates as Kwara, Bauchi primaries suffer delay

May 22 2026
NDLEA launches radio station, warns against pop culture glorifying drug abuse

NDLEA launches radio station, warns against pop culture glorifying drug abuse

May 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

Hepatitis: Rescuing Nigerians from needless deaths – Punch

by The Editor
May 22 2026
0

Mass failure: JAMB, VCs to review UTME results Thursday

UTME reforms, admissions waivers – Punch

by The Editor
May 20 2026
0

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.