TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Nimbo killings: We won’t allow another attack like this in Enugu State – Gov. Ugwuanyi assures

The Citizen by The Citizen
June 18 2016
in State of the States, Uncategorized
A A
0

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu state yesterday vowed that the kind of killings that took place in Nimbo, Uzo-Uwani local council area of the state last April would not be allowed to happen again.

Speaking during the burial service for nine of the victims of the attack held at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Nimbo, the governor said, ´’this will never happen again on our soil. We won’t take this again’.

It was the same tone of bitterness that took the better of the homily delivered by the Catholic Bishop of Nsukka Diocese, Rt. Rev. Prof. Godfrey Onah, who condemned the killings and called on the federal government to do the needful to save the vulnerable farmers from any further attacks by the suspected herdsmen.

The governor who had earlier before the burial mass gone round to condole with the people of the community at the arena, especially the widows of the slain men, spoke with emotion towards the end of the service, saying that ´Monday, the 25th of April, 2016, will ever remain a dark, sad and solemn day in the memory of the people of Enugu State and indeed Nigerians at large.

“It was on that day that our brothers and sisters, whose remains are lying here before us, were ambushed and murdered in cold blood and in their own land.

“Having done all that was needful including attending to the injured and the displaced, we have assembled here, in tears and in grief, to bury the dead and bid their innocent souls a final farewell.

“Though our emotions cannot restore them to life, we find solace in the fact that the whole world had stood by us and offered us sympathy and solidarity, ever since the incident that took their lives, occurred.

“We make bold to declare that their deaths can never be in vain and we pledge to do all that is within our legitimate means, to give them justice. Like the martyrs they have become, the spilling of their innocent blood is already saving souls as it has aroused in our people and indeed the whole nation, a burning impulse to do all that is necessary to prevent the future occurrence of similar incidents anywhere in the country”, said the governor.

Scores of Reverend Fathers and other members of the Catholic and clergy and their Anglican communion counterparts took part in the burial mass also attended by Senator Chukwuka Utazi representing Enugu North senatorial zone in the senate, the former governor of Anambra state, Chief Peter Obi, and the former minister of information, Chief John Nnia Nwodo as well as members of the Enugu State Executive Council, among many others.

Previous Post

Delta State: Council boss survives assassination attempt

Next Post

Forex: Nigerian students abroad apply to home universities

Related Posts

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama
State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

August 20 2026
2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday
State of the States

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

August 19 2026
Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu
State of the States

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

August 18 2026
Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn
State of the States

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

August 13 2026
Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu
State of the States

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

August 12 2026
Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf
State of the States

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

August 10 2026
Next Post

Forex: Nigerian students abroad apply to home universities

PDP crisis: IG holds meeting with Sheriff, Makarfi

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.