TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Ex-Finance Minister released $1bn govt funds for Jonathan’s re-election – Oshiomhole … this is another lie from a serial liar, says Okonjo-Iweala

meira by meira
July 14 2015
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, has accused the former Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, of tampering with $1bn from the Federation Account, which he claimed was used “for election purposes.”

But in a swift reaction, Okonjo-Iweala described the statement as a “ludicrously false statement that has unfortunately become a trademark of the Governor in his public campaign of falsehood.”

However, Oshiomhole, who disclosed this on Monday at a seminar organised by the state government for permanent secretaries, directors and deputy directors on enhancing internally generated revenue in the state, challenged the former minister to tell Nigerians how the Excess Crude Account was drawn down to $4.1bn from the peak of $10bn, when no approval was given by the National Economic Council for any withdrawals.

He also called for a forensic audit to determine the true amount which he said was illegally spent from the Federation Account under her watch as a minister.

The governor said, “The truth is, many things went wrong even at the federal level. As you might have read in the papers while the Federal Government, under Goodluck Jonathan, with the then Coordinating Minister of the Economy liked to blame ‘governors’ for wasteful spending; for not saving for the rainy day; for not investing properly, the truth is the real weakness in the Nigerian federal chain has been the Federal Government.

“Our hope is that with the new President, given his pedigree, we will break from the past. As I am sure you will soon begin to hear when all the numbers are published. Last week, I complained aloud that Edo State lost about N10bn over a four-year period from only one source – the NLNG remittance to the Federation Account.

“How did I arrive at the figure? I used my Four-Figure Table and I asked myself at $2.1bn remitted by NLNG, as taxes, and Shell. And by the way, Shell is not the only oil operative; we have Chevron and several others. They shared the $2.1bn based on the revenue allocation formula, Edo State got about N2.27bn. So I said, thank God this money came after the departure of Okonjo-Iweala and President Jonathan. If the PDP were still in charge in Abuja, this money would have been taken.

“That is not the only money Edo State Government has lost. You have heard of the last instalment of $4.1bn that was in the Excess Crude Account as of November, 2014, and from that time till today, we have not, when I say we– federal, states and local governments have not touched that money. We have not agreed to take anything out of it, and yet it has been drawn down to about $2bn, which means $2.1bn disappeared.

“But if you talk to those oil marketers, they will tell you that within that period, they were paid $1bn, not $2.1b. So in truth, about $1bn was taken for election purposes and Edo State’s share of that should have been about N4.6bn from that $2.1bn that Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the former Minister of Finance illegally took from Excess Crude account.

Oshiomhole added, “Governments have lost a lot of money and the $2.1bn, that is Edo State’s share of that, because that would have included derivation, we would have made about N2.6bn. That, we have lost now to Okonjo-Iweala. Now that she claimed she used it, between herself and the last President, they agreed to take the money to pay oil marketers.”

Meanwhile, Okonjo-Iweala on Monday night denied withdrawing the sum of $1bn from the Excess Crude Account to finance the campaign of former President Goodluck Jonathan.

In a statement issued by her Media Adviser, Mr. Paul Nwabuikwu, the former finance minister described the allegation by Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State that she spent $1bn out of the ECA to fund the re-election bid of former President Jonathan as a “ludicrously false statement that has unfortunately become a trademark of the Governor in his public campaign of falsehood.”

The statement said the comment by the governor was “just another example of the numerical diarrhea that seems to have afflicted His Excellency in recent times in his effort to damage the reputation of the former Minister.”

It read in part, “He has, within the last few months, asked Okonjo-Iweala to explain all kinds of totally wild and unsubstantiated figures, ranging from $30bn, $20bn, $2.1bn, N720bn and now $1bn.

“To say the obvious, the accusations are totally lacking in credibility. Governor Oshiomhole’s published comments also contain other falsehoods.”

“Dr Okonjo-Iweala never said the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee approved spending out of the ECA. Rather as the commissioners themselves stated, the former Minister of State Finance informed them that former President Jonathan approved the expenditure to end the debilitating fuel queues across the country.”

Previous Post

Buhari names new service chiefs, NSA

Next Post

Naira in free-fall, drops to 241 against dollar

Related Posts

Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students
Headlines

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs
Headlines

BREAKING: Adeleke leads APC rival with over 60k votes across 14 LGAs

August 16 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs
Governance

State Police: Presidency extends memorandum submission deadline

August 13 2026
Next Post

Naira in free-fall, drops to 241 against dollar

Guber tussle: Yobe tribunal admits 204,900 incident forms, exhibits

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

August 18 2026
Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

August 18 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.