TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Presidency didn’t squander external reserves, ECA – FG

The Citizen by The Citizen
January 8 2015
in Governance, Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Federal Government on Wednesday described as untrue claims by former President Olusegun Obasanjo that the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan had squandered the nation’s foreign reserves.

The Federal Ministry of Finance, in a statement in Abuja, said there was never a time the reserves rose to $67bn as alleged by Obasanjo.

It said that the reserves were, among others, used to settle foreign currency obligations, including the importation of equipment for the power sector.

Also, the Peoples Democratic Party’s Presidential Campaign said Obasanjo was entitled to his views.

The former President had on Monday while responding to a call by a delegation of market women led by the Iyalode of Yorubaland, Chief Alaba Lawson, and the Iyaloja General of Nigeria, Chief Folashade Tinubu-Ojo, to lend his voice to the socio-economic crisis rocking the country, said the nation did not deserve the situation it currently found itself.

He said the administrations after him had gradually depleted the foreign reserves from the $67bn he left to just a little over $30bn.

But the Finance ministry said anyone familiar with foreign reserves management would be aware that the Federal Government could not dip its hands into them.

Like in other countries, it explained that the management of external reserves was one of the statutory mandates of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Quoting from Section 2 Sub Section (c) of the CBN Act (2007), it stated that the bank had been mandated to “maintain external reserves to safeguard the international value of the legal tender.”

It said going by this provision, no President since the democratic dispensation had contravened the Act.

The statement read in part, “It is absolutely not true that the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan has squandered the nation’s reserves.

“The facts are clear and indisputable. At the end of May 2007, Nigeria’s gross reserves stood at $43.13bn, comprising the CBN’s external reserves of $31.5bn; $9.43bn in the Excess Crude Account; and $2.18bn in the Federal Government’s savings.

“These figures can be independently verified from the CBN’s records. The figure of $67bn cited in some recent commentary is therefore factually incorrect.”

It added, “It is a misconception to think that reserves are immutable or cast in stone. The reality is that since May 2007, the reserves have fluctuated in line with developments in the international oil market, rising from $43.13bn at that time, peaking at $62bn in September 2008 during the Yar’Adua/Jonathan administration when oil prices reached a peak of $147 per barrel, and falling subsequently to a low of $31.7bn in September 2011.

“This fall in reserves was largely a result of the vicissitudes of the global economy and oil market, which caused the CBN to intervene, using some of the reserves to defend the value of the naira.”

It said whenever an agency of government or a private individual/company needed to make a payment in foreign currencies, it must provide the naira equivalent to the CBN in exchange for the required foreign currencies.

On the Excess Crude Account savings, a component of the reserves, the ministry said this was largely used to cushion the harsh effects of the global financial crisis of 2008 and 2009 on the economy.

It explained that Nigeria was one of the few countries in the world that did not seek assistance from international financial institutions at that time.

It noted that the fiscal stimulus used to shore up the economy during that period was shared by all the three tiers of government.

It said the savings in the ECA were also used to pay for fuel subsidies for the entire nation and that sharing of the fund continued after the crisis had ended.

While agreeing with Obasanjo that the savings in the ECA should have been higher, the ministry noted that the fact that a number of governors acted against strong professional advice to insist on the withdrawal of the funds led to its depletion.

It stated, “It is on record that states even took the Federal Government to court on this matter, and the case is still pending at the Supreme Court.

“It is also worth noting that the Jonathan administration built the first ever Sovereign Wealth Fund for the nation in which savings are being made for future generations of Nigerians and important infrastructure investments are being supported.”

Similarly, the Director of Media and Publicity, the PDP Presidential Campaign, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, said at a press conference in Abuja that Obasanjo was entitled to his views.

Previous Post

2015: Jonathan gives Jega matching order, Nigerians must‎ have PVCs

Next Post

FG uncovers APC plan to hack into INEC database – DSS …findings hogwash, embarrassing, says Lai Mohammed

Related Posts

Headlines

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde
Governance

Oyo school: We’ll listen to abductors’ demands, says Gov. Makinde

May 18 2026
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher
Headlines

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

May 18 2026
BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria
Headlines

BREAKING: US launches fresh airstrikes on ISIS enclave in Nigeria

May 18 2026
FG cracks down on unapproved contract variations in MDAs
Governance

FG cracks down on unapproved contract variations in MDAs

May 18 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils
Headlines

Oyo school attack: Senate, Yoruba leaders demand action as distress videos emerge

May 18 2026
Next Post

FG uncovers APC plan to hack into INEC database – DSS …findings hogwash, embarrassing, says Lai Mohammed

Govt critics: You’re like motor park touts - Jonathan blasts Obasanjo, other statesmen

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

Soludo reshuffles power structure, swears in 18 Commissioners

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Insecurity: I can end banditry in two months, says Zamfara governor

Zamfara approves pension, salary review for retirees

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

...

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

NDC appoints ex-Ebonyi gov Egwu to chair presidential screening panel

May 19 2026

Peter Obi emerges NDC sole presidential aspirant

May 19 2026
Pep Guardiola quits Man City

Pep Guardiola quits Man City

May 18 2026
EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

EFCC hands over ₦837.5m recovered funds to Kaduna State

May 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

In 2027 elections, voter apathy looms large – Punch

by The Editor
May 18 2026
0

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.