TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Saudi Arabia issues e-bracelets to hajj pilgrims …NAHCON confirms death of 3 Nigerians

The Citizen by The Citizen
September 10 2016
in Global News, Uncategorized
A A
0

Saudi Arabia has reportedly started issuing special e-bracelets to the members of the annual Hajj pilgrimage which is to start on Friday.

The measure was introduced to avoid the repetition of the deadly 2015 stampede at the religious event which killed over 2,400 people.

The ID bracelet is made of plasticized paper and carries a bar code which can be scanned by a smartphone, the Saudi vice secretary of the ministry of hajj and umrah, Issa Rawas, told AFP. He added that the bracelet carries the identity and nationality of each pilgrim as well as his place of lodging in Mecca.

The authorities may also learn about the pilgrim’s delegation and his visa details, the official added.

“The aim is to equip all pilgrims” from abroad, he said, however, without specifying the exact number of bracelets which have been issued.

Rawas added that some 1.4 million pilgrims are expected to come for the holy festival.
AFP reported seeing many pilgrims wearing such bracelets near the Great Mosque of Mecca.

According to Nabil Melhem, 61, a Palestinian bricklayer from the Israeli-occupied West Bank, the bracelet costs some two riyals (53 cents).

It is “like a passport,” Melhem said. “If we get lost, if we die, if we are sick or unable to talk, they can contact our delegation, thanks to the bracelet.”

Drissa Conakry, a Nigerian pilgrim, said that hotel staff “put this bracelet on us as soon as we arrived.”

“I tell myself that, at least, I am identified,” Conakry added.

The information that e-bracelets would be introduced during 2016 hajj pilgrimage appeared in media in June this year. The official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) said that they would be water-resistant and contain personal and medical information.

Hajj, annual Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca, must be carried out at least once in the life of each Muslim. This year the pilgrimage starts September 9 and will last till September 14.

Hajj celebrations last year turned into mass stampede which killed more than 2,400 people, according to the Associated Press estimates.

The tragedy took place September 24 near an exit from a monorail train station that was close to the tent camps accommodating thousands of pilgrims who had come for the five-day celebration of Islam’s second-biggest holiday, Eid Al-Ahda.

Iran was most affected by the tragedy with at least 464 deaths. Mali said it lost 305 people, while Nigeria lost 274. At least 190 pilgrims from Egypt were killed.

The previous record for deaths dates back to 1990, when 1,426 people were killed in a stampede inside a pedestrian tunnel leading out of Mecca towards Mina.

Meanwhile, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has confirmed the death of three out of the 76,000 pilgrims from Nigeria in Saudi Arabia for the 2016 Hajj exercise.

The head of the medical team, Dr Ibrahim Kana, confirmed this to all stakeholders during a pre Arafat meeting held at Makkah.

Kana, who disclosed that two of the pilgrims died in Madinah and one in Makkah, said one of the affected pilgrims died in his sleep and his team was still working to know the circumstances surrounding the deaths of the two others.

Kana said the medical personnel had been distributed to all Nigerian camps to ensure prompt response to the medical needs of Nigerians.

To this end, he said NAHCON had procured three new ambulances and sufficient drugs to take care of Nigerian pilgrims during the Arafat period, in addition to the provision already made by the Saudi authorities.

He warned pilgrims not to wander about on sunny afternoon because of heat stroke in Makkah and Madinah due to hot temperature.

In his briefing, a national commissioner in charge of policy, Alhaji Adebayo Yusuf, said no accident was recorded during the stay of over 61,000 pilgrims in Madinah before they were moved to Makkah.

Yusuf added that NAHCON was able to transport 61,903 pilgrims to Madinah in record time in 151 flights.

The meeting was attended by the leader of the 2016 Hajj from Nigeria, Alhaji Yahya Abubakar, the Etsu Nupe; representatives of the Senate and House of Representatives committees on foreign affairs, the Charge de Affairs in Saudi Arabia and members of states’ pilgrims welfare boards and tour operators.

Over three million pilgrims will perform this year’s Hajj which starts with movement to Muna today, Arafat and Muzdalifa on Sunday and throwing stones at the devil (Jamrah) on Monday. – Additional report from RT.

 

Previous Post

Enugu State committed to gender equality, political inclusion – Deputy Governor

Next Post

Enugu State committed to gender equality, political inclusion – Deputy Governor

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory
Global News

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

August 20 2026
Trump threatens to bomb Oman
Global News

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

August 18 2026
Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test
Global News

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

August 18 2026
Global News

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

August 13 2026
Next Post

Enugu State committed to gender equality, political inclusion - Deputy Governor

Kogi: Police arraign Audu’s son for armed robbery, culpable homicide

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.