TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Senators uncover budget padding in Power ministry

The Editor by The Editor
December 19 2017
in Headlines
A A
0
Senators uncover budget padding in Power ministry

The Senate Committee on Power has queried the Minister of State for Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Mustapha Baba Shehuri and the Permanent Secretary, Mr. Louis Edozien, over alleged duplication of items in the 2018 budget estimates of the Power ministry.

In the details of the ministry’s next year’s budget, which were made available during yesterday’s budget defence, N120 million, N480 million and N288 million, respectively, were allocated for the purchase of utility vehicles by the Power ministry.

The ministry also voted N100 million for transfer and management of office files and documents. Lawmakers complained about the ministry’s penchant for repetition of projects.

They said every year,  the ministry presents the same items in its budget and asks for more funds to execute the same projects.

Trouble started when Senator Clifford Ordia, who represents Edo Central senatorial district, queried duplication of purchase of utility vehicles, captured in three separate pages of the ministry’s budget.

He also instructed the minister of state and the permanent secretary to explain how the ministry plans to spend N100 million to transfer files, in spite of another huge provision for ICT.

“I need to understand this thing. Look at the marked N120 million, N288 million and N480 million for the purchase of vehicles. I do not understand. Are these vehicles different? If you add up this figure, it gives you about N888 million.

“You also said you want to spend N100 million on transfer of office files. How do you intend to do that? The people in your office, what have they been doing? I can also see, from your estimates here, that you captured another item for ICT, different from the N100 million for transfer of files. You need to explain these things,” Ordia said.

Senator Hassan Mohammed from Yobe State said lawmakers are tired of being bombarded every year with the same line items in the budget. He urged the Ministry to put its house in order.

Committee Chairman, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, who presided over the budget defence, revealed that the ministry’s 2017 capital budget only recorded 18 per cent performance.

“We will take it that the 2017 budget was abysmally low, at only 18 per cent performance. This is unacceptable and I need to put it on record,” said Abaribe.

There was mild drama when Shehuri could not respond to questions posed to him by the committee members. Instead, he appealed to them to allow Edozien provide answers on his behalf.

His appeal was rejected by lawmakers.

“You were sent here to represent the minister. It means you are here to respond to our questions. Last week, we invited the permanent secretary to respond. Today (yesterday), it is your turn.

“My colleagues asked me how come you are the person here and not Fashola? But, I told them since you are also a minister, you could be here too, on behalf of your minister,” Abaribe told Shehuri.

Meanwhile, the substantive Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, did not show up for yesterday’s budget defence.

There was no official explanation from Fashola on why he did not turn up. Instead, Shehuri said Fashola was attending to other state matters.

Last Thursday, senators walked out Fashola, over alleged “unpreparedness to face the committee for his 2018 budget defence.”

The Abaribe-led committee maintained that Fashola was not ready to face members since he did appear before them, with necessary documentation.

Abaribe also added that the committee should have been furnished with necessary documentation, to enable members peruse them while the defence would be ongoing.

But, speaking on Fashola’s non-appearance, yesterday, Abaribe said: “Maybe Fashola decided to snub us because of some media reports last week. But, he ought not to have been angry by that. I am sure that was why he sent you because he did not want to come here.

“I said it was deliberate that Fashola did not show up. What we need to scrutinise the budget was not provided. We needed some things to make the process easy. Nobody is satisfied with these vague items. We are going to have to adjourn this meeting, pending when we will get these submissions from you.”

He told the Shehuri and Edozien to inform Fashola that he must present himself at the next scheduled budget defence session.

“We are asking you to inform the minister to be here, to properly respond to all the questions we need to ask. We will do a comprehensive letter asking for explanations on items where we have raised questions. That will guide you in giving your submissions. We need you to be prepared when next you come,” the committee chairman said.

The minister of state and other officials of the ministry, were then told to go back and return prepared for another session.  – The Sun.

Previous Post

PENGASSAN suspends nationwide strike

Next Post

FG orders Dangote, BUA to vacate disputed mining site in Edo

Related Posts

Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers
Headlines

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
93 percent of inmates are state offenders, half don’t need jail — Interior Minister
Headlines

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21 2026
US Congress okays bill to cut foreign aid to Nigeria
Headlines

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

August 21 2026
DSS rejects foreign funding for proposed security trust fund
Headlines

DSS alerts Sokoto as terrorists target tertiary institutions

August 21 2026
Governance

States get special N435bn for security, infrastructure

August 21 2026
Auto Draft
Headlines

Presidency, OPS kick against Atiku’s petrol subsidy push

August 21 2026
Next Post
FG orders Dangote, BUA to vacate disputed mining site in Edo

FG orders Dangote, BUA to vacate disputed mining site in Edo

Edo govt to re-introduce Bini history, social study in schools

Gov. Obaseki, Ikpea, others to receive SWAN awards

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.