TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

18 die in Lagos building collapse

The Citizen by The Citizen
March 9 2016
in Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

Tragedy struck on Tuesday in the Lekki Phase 1 area of Lagos State after a five-storey building under construction collapsed, killing no fewer than 18 persons who were mostly workers.

While no fewer than 30 other workers were said to have been trapped at press time, 13 people were rescued alive.

The survivors were taken to different hospitals in the state, while the dead were deposited in a mortuary.

Among the dead was a woman, her six-month-old baby and her husband.

She had gone to the site to collect money for upkeep from her husband when the building collapsed.

Our correspondent learnt that the building was part of the housing projects of the Lekki Gardens.

It was gathered that the affected structure, which was inside the Lekki Gardens Horizon 1, collapsed around 3am, shortly after a windstorm.

A worker, John Adamu, said some workers were sleeping in the uncompleted building when the incident happened.

He said, “Many of the workers here sleep inside the building because they are being owed salary of several months.

“Around 3am, there was a storm and before anyone knew what was happening, the building collapsed. More than 70 people were trapped as of that time.”

On the ground were officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, National Emergency Management Agency, Lagos State Fire Service, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Red Cross Society, Federal Road Safety Corps, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Lagos State Safety Commission, Lagos State Ambulance Service and Nigeria Police Force.

Our correspondent observed as of 11am that only one caterpillar was on site for the rescue operation.

This irked some of the sympathisers who asked to be allowed to be involved in the operation to save more lives.

As of the time, six corpses had already been recovered from the rubble, while five were rescued alive.

There was a mild drama as rescuer officials struggled for over four hours to remove a survivor from the rubble. Some youths, who were watching, besieged the spot and began taking out the rubble with their hands.

After a few minutes, one of the carpenters, identified as Kayode, was brought out alive by the youths.

The Chairman of Labourers of the Oniru Royal Family, Iliyasu Abubakar, was seen with a shovel, clearing the rubble.

He told PUNCH Metro that nine of his friends were still trapped.

He said, “I have been able to bring out one of the workers alive, but there are nine of my people there who are still trapped.”

Many residents who trooped the site, said they were either looking for their friends or family members.

One of those declared missing was Abba Kaka.

A family member said Kaka had been speaking with them on the telephone.

He said, “We have been speaking with him since morning. He was calling for help. But now, he is no longer picking his calls.”

Another worker, Victor Suru, said his elder brother, Michael, his wife, Otans, and their six-month-old baby were missing.

Victor said, “My brother works here and they are owing him a lot of money, just as they are owing me about N25,000.

“His wife came to see him just two days ago to collect some money for her upkeep and that of the child.

“But when he explained that they had not been paid, she decided to sleep there till he was paid. And now, they are all trapped inside there.”

Around 4pm, Michael, his wife and the baby were brought out dead.

Some workers, who spoke with PUNCH Metro, attributed the collapse to impatience of the Lekki Gardens, defective building materials and lack of professionals.

The Vice Chairman of the Nigeria Institute of Building, Lagos State chapter, Adelaja Adekanbi, said the collapse didn’t come as a surprise to him.

Adekanbi said he decided to quit in 2014 when he saw the lack of standard.

He said, “I was among those who were here, but I quit in 2014 because of what I saw. One of the buildings here was meant to be a three-storeyed building and we were on the third floor when the owners brought a document saying the structure had been changed to a five-storeyed building.”

A worker, Job, told PUNCH Metro that the engineers were living large at the expense of the workers.

He said, “This place is like a slavery camp for many of us. You are required to carry a block from the ground floor to the fifth floor for just N20. And the engineers were buying cars every time.

“I will not fault Lekki Gardens. It is those they employed that caused this and they should be made to pay for it.”

God’s mercy saved me

An iron bender, Ajani Tajudeen, said he escaped the collapse by God’s mercy.

Tajudeen, who sustained bruises on his stomach and arms, said he was still awake when the building collapsed.

He said, “The whole building fell on us and what I heard next were the groans of people. I struggled to crawl towards the exit, but some things fell on me.

“I dragged myself up and as I moved out, the caterpillar working outside pulled up some rubble and blocked my way out. I had almost given up when the caterpillar again removed the rubble from the place.

“I quickly raised my hand out for people to see me and that was how I was rescued. It was God that saved me.”

There was a drama outside the gate into the estate as security agents shut out some sympathisers.

The people, who almost had a face-off with the security agents, said there was no justification for the action.

The spokesperson for NEMA, South West zone, Ibrahim Farinloye, said the agency had problem moving some of its equipment from the mainland due to traffic jam.

He said, “We tried to get across to Lekki Gardens, but their offices have been locked. I was informed that they came early this morning and immediately left. Nobody has been able to get across to them. And they are the ones who have the map of this place and know how we can easily navigate our way through.

“But since we cannot find them, we have been working blindly since we came. We have rescued some of the workers and we were told that many more are still trapped.

“We will not leave until we get to ground zero. I am not sure we will finish today.”

The General Manager of LASEMA, Mr. Michael Akindele, said the incident happened around 5am.

He said , “About 18 people died, while 13 were rescued alive.

“The incident happened 5am and involved a five-storey building under construction.

“We cannot say the actual cause, but it is obvious there was a mistake or defect somewhere.

“LASAMBUS took the survivors to the hospital on the Lagos Island, while the corpses were taken to the mortuary by the State Environmental and Health Monitoring Unit.”

Asked to react to the slow pace of rescue, he said the agency took its time to ensure that those it was trying to save did not lose their lives.

The General Manager of LASBCA, Sola Adeigbe, said the collapsed building had initially been sealed by the state government, adding that after it passed structural tests, it was reopened

He added that with the tragic incident, all the buildings in the estate would go through another round of tests before people would be allowed to start living in them.

He said, “The major cause of this collapse is foundation failure. I believe that they reclaimed the land and immediately erected the structure. All the buildings completed or not, will be tested.”

The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, said the building was not supposed to go beyond three floors, adding that the two additional floors triggered the collapse.

“The rain and windstorm of that night obviously contributed to it. But buildings are supposed to be constructed to bear all kinds of climatic and environmental conditions. It was the additional floors that caused the collapse,” he added.

Construction stopped in January

The Management of Lekki Gardens, in a statement on Monday, said the building was meant to house a number of apartment units, adding that construction work had been suspended in January 2016 over reported structural defects.

The statement read in part, “So far, seven people have been reported dead, while others were injured. The exact cause of the incident is not known at this time. All of our incident response procedures have been initiated, our support services have been mobilised and relevant authorities have been advised.”

The company said it was cooperating with relevant agencies to speed up rescue efforts.

“Investigation is already underway to ascertain the identities of those affected, as it is not the company‘s policy for site workers to take shelter in uncompleted buildings.

“The Management and staff of Lekki Gardens sincerely sympathise with the families of those who lost their lives. The company will do all in its power to ensure that those injured are fully supported,” the statement added. Punch

Previous Post

Arsenal ease into FA Cup quarter-finals

Next Post

FBNQuest creates local opportunities for US Dollar investment

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
DSS rejects foreign funding for proposed security trust fund
Headlines

DSS alerts Sokoto as terrorists target tertiary institutions

August 21 2026
Auto Draft
Headlines

Presidency, OPS kick against Atiku’s petrol subsidy push

August 21 2026
2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns
Headlines

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns

August 20 2026
Man commits suicide in Ibadan over N.3m debt
Latest News

FG approves amendment to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 20 2026
Next Post

FBNQuest creates local opportunities for US Dollar investment

Manufacturers lobby CBN for forex

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

August 21 2026
Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces end of 28-year marriage

Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces end of 28-year marriage

August 21 2026
2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC, Uzodimma over Imo West ticket

2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC, Uzodimma over Imo West ticket

August 21 2026
UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.