TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

One year after #EndSARS, 300 protesters still in Kirikiri – Victim

The Editor by The Editor
October 18 2021
in Latest News
A A
0
One year after #EndSARS, 300 protesters still in Kirikiri – Victim

One year after what victims described as genocide against #EndSARS protesters, 300 of them are still in Kirikiri Correctional centre in Lagos prison.

The victims were arrested on October 20, 2020, when soldiers stormed the Lekki toll gate in Lagos and allegedly shot at protesters, who had gathered that Tuesday, following a movement to end the excesses of the now disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), an armed of police formed in 1992 to combat armed robbery and other serious crimes.

Protesters and passerby were reportedly shot and killed by troops deployed by the Nigerian army, who had earlier denied involvement in the shooting, while manyt were arrested at random after the protest for arson, illegal gathering and armed robbery.

The movement started nationwide on Thursday, October 8, 2020, after weeks of outrage and anger with videos and pictures showing police brutality, harassment and extortion across the country.

According to an activist and a coordinator of Coalition for Revolution in Lagos, Banwo Olagokun, there are 311 protesters who should be released unconditionally.

One of such persons was Nicholas Mba, who was arrested a week after the protest.

He explained to The Guardian how he spent eight months in Kirikiri medium prison with 300 others.

He said: “ In that prison, there are over 300 EndSARS protesters there.

“The worst day of my life was my first night in prison, when they told me that I was going to be embalmed. I never understood what they meant because I said why would I be embalmed, am I dead, it was at night I understood.

“That night was hell, they stripped me naked, and a lot happened that I cannot say all. It was a group that mounted pressure on the EndSARS panel for my release. Even till today my case is still in court and I am yet to understand the meaning of it all.”

Mba said he was charged for armed robbery, arson and rioting.

He said: “I had a casemate I never met in my life, except in prison. So I was surprised how he became my casemate in court. You see, that is the kind of country we are in. From Panti, we were transferred to Kirikiri medium prison at 2:00 a.m. I met a lot of scary people in the prison, murderers and real armed robbers.”

However his case was changed to illegal gathering at the last day he went to court after, which he was released in June.

“I asked my lawyer, if that was supposed to be the reason for my staying in prison for eight months. Anytime I remember this my mood changes, anytime I’m being asked or I remember this I feel bad, it reminds me a lot because I went through a lot things I wouldn’t want to recall. Since they have no compensation for what I have been through, I can’t fight the government. All I ask for is my free movement and the case in court should be discharged so I can live my normal life,” he said.

Another victim, Theophilus Ivwrogbo, who worked as a truck driver at a Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) in Apapa, Lagos, got to the tollgate at a time when soldiers had begun shooting.

According to him, the employees of the company were asked to go home, following announcement of curfew by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on October 20, 2020.

He said: “When the shooting began, I was there and I was trying to run to the other side, when I was hit by a bullet. At first, I didn’t know I had been shot until I tried getting up again, then I fell. Someone who saw when I fell began to pull me by my shirt, while I struggled to move with him. It did not take long when he too was shot and he fell on me. My whole body was covered with his blood. There was no strength left in me to run, which made me pass out.”

Theophilus, a father of two has not been compensated and his case is not included among those at the EndSARS panel at Lekki.

Despite, the lessons of the EndSARS protest, police brutality has not stopped.

Between November 2020 and October 2021 there have been over 100 cases of persons killed, brutalised and illegally detained by security agencies.

For instance, 17-year-old Oluwaferanmi Moses, a first-year student of Mechanical Engineering at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), was arrested on September 19 in Mushin , where he repairs cars and was transferred to Ijede, Ikorodu, where he spent 20 days while his mother was forced to pay N80, 000 for his release on October 8.

A motorist identified as Akorede was shot in the leg by a police officer in Oru, ijebu ode on Wednesday, October 13 by a police officer.

One of the officers was said to have shot him during a search. The State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi has said investigation would begin into the shooting.

Monsurat Ojuade, an18-year-old college graduate awaiting admission was killed by a trigger-happy cop, Sergeant Samuel Phillips on September 11, at her residence in Ijeshatedo, Surulere area of Lagos.

Sergeant Phillips has been dismissed and he is to be tried.

On May 31, a businessman based in Germany, Ugochi Unachukwu was killed at a checkpoint on his way to the airport in Imo State, as the police are yet to release report of investigations into the incident.

Another businessman, a 45-year-old Mathew Opara, was shot by soldiers on May 25 in Imo state, near Owerri.

According to reports he was killed by soldiers during a shooting at residents, while returning from work.
His relatives said the military admitted the killing but is yet to release details of the investigations.

According to Amnesty International, in May 2021, the Imo State Government announced the arrest of at least 400 people allegedly linked to Eastern Security Network (ESN).

Investigation by the group indicated that most of them were randomly picked up in their homes and off the streets and had nothing to do with ESN.

Some victims were allegedly arrested while walking on the streets, at a public bar and some for having birthmarks and tattoos.

For instance, Osai Ojigho, a 37-year-old man, was arrested by the police at Orji, in Imo State, on May 26 allegedly allegation belonging to IPOB. – Guardian.

Previous Post

The All-New Hyundai CRETA promises tantalizing driving experience  

Next Post

Don’t compare Buhari with Azikiwe, Awolowo – Ohanaeze warns Adesina

Related Posts

Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers
Headlines

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
93 percent of inmates are state offenders, half don’t need jail — Interior Minister
Headlines

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21 2026
US Congress okays bill to cut foreign aid to Nigeria
Headlines

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

August 21 2026
FCSC warns against fake recruitment links
Latest News

FCSC warns against fake recruitment links

August 21 2026
UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk
Global News

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026
Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists
Global News

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

August 21 2026
Next Post
Don’t compare Buhari with Azikiwe, Awolowo – Ohanaeze warns Adesina

Don’t compare Buhari with Azikiwe, Awolowo - Ohanaeze warns Adesina

We will reopen Odili’s investigation, says EFCC

BREAKING: Court orders Immigration to return ex-governor Odili’s seized passport

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.