TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Zambia uncovers Chinese cybercrime syndicate

The Editor by The Editor
April 10 2024
in Financial Crimes
A A
0
Zambia uncovers Chinese cybercrime syndicate

A “sophisticated internet fraud syndicate” has been uncovered in Zambia, leading to the arrest of 77 people, including 22 Chinese nationals.

It was a “significant breakthrough in the fight against cybercrime”, the authorities said after a multi-agency raid on a Chinese-run company.

The firm employed Zambians who believed they were to be call-centre agents.

Among equipment seized were devices allowing callers to disguise their location and thousands of Sim cards.

Golden Top Support Services, the company at the centre of the raid, has not commented on the allegations.

The swoop on its premises, located in Roma, an upmarket suburb of the capital, Lusaka, was led by the Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) and also involved the police, the immigration department and anti-terrorism unit.

It came after months of intelligence gathering by the agencies following an alarming rise in internet fraud cases in Zambia, DEC director general Nason Banda said after Tuesday’s raid.

He said Golden Top Support Services had recruited ” unsuspecting” Zambians aged between 20 and 25.

They had been tasked “with engaging in deceptive conversations with unsuspecting mobile users across various platforms such as WhatsApp, Telegram, chatrooms and others, using scripted dialogues”.

During the operation 11 Sim boxes were found – these are devices that can route calls in a way that bypasses legitimate phone networks.

This enables them to be used “for fraudulent activities, including internet fraud and online scams”, Mr Banda said.

More than 13,000 Sim cards – both domestic and international – were also seized, which underscored “the extent of the operation’s reach”, the DEC head said.

An increasing number of Zambians were losing money from their bank accounts through money-laundering schemes, though this scam’s alleged “illicit operations extended beyond Zambia’s borders”, he said.

Evidence indicated people in countries including Singapore, Peru, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and others across Africa had been targeted.

Two firearms and about 78 rounds of ammunition were confiscated and two vehicles, belonging to a Chinese national linked to the business, have been impounded.

Mr Banda said the Zambian nationals had been charged and released on bail so they could help the authorities with their investigations.

The foreign nationals – 22 Chinese men and a Cameroonian – remain in custody. – BBC.

Previous Post

Junior Pope, three other Nollywood actors die in boat accident

Next Post

Jacob Zuma wins court battle to stand in South Africa’s election

Related Posts

EFCC arraigns Blessing CEO over N36m fraud in Lagos
Financial Crimes

EFCC arraigns Blessing CEO over N36m fraud in Lagos

May 15 2026
Customs intercept stolen Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini, others from Canada
Financial Crimes

Customs intercept stolen Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini, others from Canada

May 10 2026
Fed Govt extends cash transfer programme by two years
Financial Crimes

EFCC declares former Humanitarian Affairs Minister Sadiya Umar Farouq wanted

May 9 2026
Court convicts ex-power minister Mamman of fraud, money, laundering
Financial Crimes

Court convicts ex-power minister Mamman of fraud, money, laundering

May 7 2026
Timipre Sylva denies involvement in alleged coup plot
Financial Crimes

Court orders Sylva to forfeit nine Abuja properties to Fed Govt

May 6 2026
NDLEA, Ghana’s anti-drug agency sign pact to tackle drug cartels
Financial Crimes

NDLEA, Ghana’s anti-drug agency sign pact to tackle drug cartels

May 5 2026
Next Post
Jacob Zuma wins court battle to stand in South Africa’s election

Jacob Zuma wins court battle to stand in South Africa's election

Ondo police bar Amotekun, others from election duties

Ondo Amotekun nabs 14 alleged kidnappers, 31 others

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

Alaafin urges FG to strengthen native intelligence after Oyo school attacks

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

Ebonyi State lifts 3-month curfew after bloody boundary crisis

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

Ondo community begs Gov. Aiyedatiwa to intervene in regent appointment crisis

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

Tinubu creates Homeland Security adviser role, appoints ex-army general

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

Soludo appoints MDs for three Anambra agencies

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

Tinubu seeks Omidiran, 28 others’ confirmation as FCC members

Tinubu approves immediate assignment of four new permanent secretaries

by The Editor
May 4 2026
0

...

FirstBank confirms appointment of Olayinka Ijabiyi as Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications

FirstBank confirms appointment of Olayinka Ijabiyi as Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications

by The Editor
May 1 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

Woman allegedly beats 9-yr-old stepdaughter to death

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

Police begin disciplinary action against officer in viral misconduct video

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Gombe magistrate lands in jail for bribery

Gombe magistrate lands in jail for bribery

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

Trump to visit China for high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

Macron in fresh push to rebuild France-Africa partnership

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

Instagram ends support for end-to-end encrypted DMs

by The Editor
May 8 2026
0

...

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

New York governor bans ICE agents from wearing masks

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

France to raise tuition fees for non-EU students

France to raise tuition fees for non-EU students

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

Gov. Radda gifts cars to outstanding Katsina students

by The Editor
May 12 2026
0

...

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

Okpebholo promises justice for slain UNIBEN student

by The Editor
May 11 2026
0

...

Gov. Mbah pledges to end road crashes in Enugu

Enugu govt to build 660MW coal-fired power plant

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Davido backs Adeleke’s re-election, joins campaign mobilisation in Osun

Otti pledges to keep security as top priority in Abia

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

May 17 2026
Akume’s wife, Mark’s daughter pick Benue APC Reps tickets

Akume’s wife, Mark’s daughter pick Benue APC Reps tickets

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

Oyo abduction: Please come to our aid – Abducted school principal cries out from captivity

May 17 2026
Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

Amotekun launches forest operation to rescue 45 abducted Oyo pupils

May 17 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

Oyo school attacks: A call to action for South West governors – Punch

by The Editor
May 17 2026
0

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

Urgent measures needed against hantavirus – Punch

by The Editor
May 10 2026
0

Nigeria at critical juncture – Vanguard

The cost of living crisis is becoming a national emergency – PM News

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

Robbers on the rampage – Punch

by The Editor
May 7 2026
0

Outrageous extrajudicial Delta police killing – Punch

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

Opinion

The dangers of a one-party state

The dangers of a one-party state

by The Editor
May 5 2026
0

...

Dear Senator Tinubu, Buhari has thrashed us all!

NBC’s real struggle

by The Editor
April 30 2026
0

...

Even INEC admonishes the media?

Even INEC admonishes the media?

by The Editor
April 12 2026
0

...

Enugu: Gov Mbah presents N521.5bn budget for 2024

Mbah: From contested mandate to constructive governance in Enugu

by The Editor
April 9 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.