TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Jonathan sets up fact-finding committee on abducted Chibok girls

The Citizen by The Citizen
May 3 2014
in Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday set up a fact-finding committee headed by Brig General Ibrahim Sabo to provide government with accurate information concerning the girls of Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, who were abducted on April 15.

The Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, disclosed this to State House correspondents after a meeting summoned by the President to review security situation in the country, particularly the latest bombing at Nyanya and the girls’ abduction.

Maku was joined at the briefing by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Doyin Okupe; Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba; spokesperson for the State Security Service, Marilyn Ogar and the Director, Defence Information, Chris Olukolade.

The minister said some of the inconsistencies that the government was not pleased with were the number of affected schoolgirls as well as their current location, among others.

He, however, added that the inconsistencies had so far not hampered rescue operations.

He said members of the committee included security agencies, civil society organisations, international organisations and other stakeholders.

Maku said during the meeting attended by Vice President Namadi Sambo, Minister of Defence, Gen. Aliyu Gusau (retd.) service chiefs and heads of security agencies, the President received updates on the second Nyanya bombing, the ongoing search for the Chibok girls, and efforts made so far to deal with related incidents of insecurity and terrorism in the country.

On the latest bomb explosion in Nyanya, the minister said the President directed security chiefs to increase surveillance and expedite investigation into the explosion to ensure that those behind the act are arrested and brought to justice.

According to him, Jonathan also gave instructions for additional proactive measures by security agencies to enhance public safety.

This, he said, included increased public awareness for citizens to step up their cooperation with security agencies by reporting suspected activities and persons likely to cause a breach of public peace, safety and security.

On the kidnapped girls, the minister said security chiefs briefed the meeting on efforts so far made to locate and rescue them and bring the perpetrators to justice.

He said, “Extensive and intensive aerial surveillance by the Air Force has been carried out in all the routes leading into and out of Chibok up to the Chad and Cameroun borders. Other parts of Borno and Adamawa states are also under the searchlight.

“Every information relayed to security agencies has so far been investigated, including the search of all places suspected as a possible hide-away of the kidnapped girls.

“The police, backed up by the military and DSS, have combed and are still combing all reported places that the girls might have been taken to.

“In view of the inconsistent and contradictory information available to government on the Chibok abduction, the President has set up a fact-finding committee comprising security agencies, civil society, international organisations and other stakeholders.

“The President commiserates with the families of the deceased in the latest bombing at Nyanya, and empathises with all those who were injured in the incident.  He has also directed full medical treatment for the victims at government expense.

“The President also shares in the pain and anguish of the parents and guardians of the Chibok girls abducted by the terrorists. The President’s heart goes out to these our unfortunate daughters who have had to endure the trauma of abduction and separation from their loved ones.  The government and people of Nigeria stand solidly by them.”

Maku also quoted Jonathan as appealing to the parents, guardians, relations of the girls and members of the public to furnish security agencies with all the information that will assist in their rescue.

The Committee which scheduled to be inaugurated on the 6th of May has the following as members:

(i)         Brig. General Ibrahim A. Sabo (Rtd.)                                              –           Chairman

(ii)        Barrister Femi Falana, SAN                                                             –          Member

(iii)       Hajia Hawa Ibrahim                                                                          –           Member

(iv)       Hajia Fatima Kwaku                                                                          –           Member

(v)        2 representatives of National Council of Women  Societies (NCWS)    –           Member

(vi)       2 representatives of the All        one whom shall be a female  Nigeria Conference of Principals of Secondary Schools (ANCOPSS)    –         Member

(vii)      2 representatives of the National  Parents Teachers Association  – member

(viii)     2 representatives of the Nigeria Police                  “                       –           Member

(ix)       2 representatives of the State Security Service                           –           Member

(x)        2 representatives of the Nigerian Army                                         –           Member

(xi)       2 representatives of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ)                                                  “                       –          Member

(xii)      1 Representative of the Federal Ministry of Information (who shall be the Committees’ Spokesperson)       –           Member

(xiii)     1 Representative of the Federal Ministry of Justice                     –           Member

(xiv)     3 Representatives of Borno State Government

(two of whom, preferably, shall be women)                                               –           Member

(xv)      1 Representative of the United Nations                                         –           Member

(xvi)     1 Representative of ECOWAS (who shall be a woman)              –           Member

(xvii)    Permanent Secretary (Special Services Office) OSGF                –           Secretary

Previous Post

… World Economic Forum: President Jonathan shuts public offices, Schools in Abuja

Next Post

Jonathan to hold Seventh Presidential Media Chat tomorrow

Related Posts

Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers
Headlines

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
93 percent of inmates are state offenders, half don’t need jail — Interior Minister
Headlines

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21 2026
US Congress okays bill to cut foreign aid to Nigeria
Headlines

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

August 21 2026
DSS rejects foreign funding for proposed security trust fund
Headlines

DSS alerts Sokoto as terrorists target tertiary institutions

August 21 2026
Governance

States get special N435bn for security, infrastructure

August 21 2026
Auto Draft
Headlines

Presidency, OPS kick against Atiku’s petrol subsidy push

August 21 2026
Next Post

Jonathan to hold Seventh Presidential Media Chat tomorrow

I will lead protest to Chibok, says Patience Jonathan

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Pres. Tinubu swears in two new ministers

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

August 21 2026
Lives of All Nigerians Carry Equal Value: ICADAR responds to Senate, House calls for reconsideration of Police withdrawal from VIPs

Northern senators renew call for state police

August 21 2026
Afenifere denies endorsing Buhari’s re-election

Afenifere raises alarm over attacks on farmers in South-West

August 21 2026
Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.