TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Senate orders Customs Service to suspend duties on old vehicles

The Citizen by The Citizen
March 8 2017
in Governance, Headlines, Uncategorized
A A
0

The Senate yesterday directed the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) to suspend the proposed plan to collect duties on old and new vehicles in the country.

Following a point of order raised by the Senate Deputy Leader, Senator Bala Na’Allah, the Senate, in a resolution, said the status quo should be maintained until the Comptroller-General of Customs appeared before its relevant committees to explain the rationale behind the policy.

Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki, said the Customs directive on vehicle duties contravenes the law and will, therefore, not stand.

“This is a very straightforward motion and our responsibility here is to ensure that we oversight agencies and ensure that they comply with the law. It is very clear that this circular does not meet the requirement of the law. The Customs Committee should quickly look into this matter and come out with a way forward,” Saraki noted.

Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, who spoke extensively on the issue, called on his colleagues to resist the new directive by Customs. He said the directive was illegal and lacks common sense, adding that the policy was retrogressive. He said punishments could not be melted out over an action taken years ago.

Ekweremadu said: “Just last week, one of our colleagues raised a motion in respect of people that bought bags of rice and some tins of groundnut oil taken to their houses and Customs came into those houses, harassed them and took away those items on the pretence that appropriate Customs duties were not paid or they were prohibited materials.

“Today, we have been inundated, again, with another development, where owners of cars bought many years ago are being asked show Customs papers or pay appropriate Customs duties.

“Let me also say that we share the concerns of the Customs boss on raising revenue to run our country, but unfortunately, it cannot be at the expense of common sense and illegality.

“Government is run on the principles of checks and balances. It is our responsibility to call the executive to order where recklessness is introduced in governance of any country and I believe that our constitution is clear on who does what at any time.

“Not even the National Assembly itself can impose punishment on crime that was committed years ago. It cannot happen. If we cannot do that, the Customs cannot do that either. What they are doing is totally unacceptable and we must say no to it.”

Senator Dino Melaye, who seconded the motion, lampooned Customs boss, saying that under a democratic setting, the policy will not work. He added that if allowed to stay, Customs officers would be corrupted, while Nigeria would bear the harsh brunt.

Melaye remarked: “What the Nigeria Customs has done by this announcement is pure advertisement of incapacitation and incompetence. An innocent Nigerian, who went to Kano or Kubwa, approached a dealer and bought a vehicle, five to seven years ago, will now be stopped for stop-and-search by Customs, perhaps, on a day he is rushing his son to the hospital and they will ask him if he paid correct duty for the car he bought from a dealer. He was not the one that cleared this vehicle. He was not the one that imported this vehicle.

“I was thinking the Comptroller General of Customs would react to what the Senate had said, that he stops wearing ‘agbada’ up and down and wear the uniform of the Nigeria Customs and be proud of it. Then he would identify and know how to do the work properly.  It is ridiculous that no Nigerian went into Apapa port and drove out an imported vehicle without the satanic collaboration of Customs officers.

“Having failed in their duties and responsibilities, as a result of indoctrinated and imbibed corruption, they now want us to pay for their incompetence and their failure. It will not happen in a democratic setting when you have a vibrant and a sincere 8th Senate.

“We should send a message to the Comptroller-General of Customs that old things have passed away and behold, everything has become new. He should go and man our borders. He should preach to all Customs officers to become born again and to start collecting appropriate amounts for Customs and Import Duties, not to chase innocent Nigerians, who are hungry and on 001 to pay for duties.

“The hunger in the land is enough. The confusion in the land is enough and this is the reason President Olusegun Obasanjo banned Customs from checking vehicles on the road in 2007. Because this will become another avenue for Customs to start collecting N100, thereby corrupting them on the streets of Nigeria.

“The appropriate committee must call the Nigeria Customs to order and protect the masses of this country.”

Saraki referred other lawmakers, who wanted to speak on the issue to the Senate Committee on Customs and Excise. He mandated the committee to act quickly, but gave no time frame, within which the committee will report back.

The NCS, had, in a statement issued last week on its behalf by the acting spokesman, Mr. Joseph Atta, urged car owners, who were yet to pay Customs duty to do so between March 13 and April 12, 2017.

The statement issued by NCS read in part: “All persons in possession of such vehicles should take advantage of the grace period to pay appropriate dues on them, as there will be an aggressive anti-smuggling operation to seize as well as prosecute owners of such smuggled vehicles after the deadline of April 12.

“For the avoidance of doubt, all private car owners who are not sure of the authenticity of their vehicles’ Customs documents can also approach the zonal offices to verify, with a view to complying with the provision of the law.”

On January 10, 2017, the Senate passed a resolution and called on the Federal Government to suspend action on the enforcement of the ban on the importation of vehicles through land borders. The directive was rebuffed by the leadership of Customs, which went ahead to implement the ban on ‘second-hand vehicles importation through land borders. – The Sun.

Previous Post

Trump ban: Ignore Dabiri-Erewa’s warning against US travel – Foreign Minister tells Nigerians

Next Post

Italy deports 37 Nigerians

Related Posts

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance
Governance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns
Headlines

2027 Elections: Tinubu, Obi, others sign peace pact, vow issue-based campaigns

August 20 2026
FCTA begins demolition of encroachment on water channels
Governance

FCTA begins demolition of encroachment on water channels

August 20 2026
Osun: Davido was target of Osogbo convoy attack – Police
Headlines

Osun: Davido was target of Osogbo convoy attack – Police

August 20 2026
BREAKING: Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
Headlines

Osun: Police confirm one death in Osogbo gunfire

August 20 2026
‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine
Headlines

ICPC uncovers multiple fake agencies as Tinubu orders forensic probe

August 20 2026
Next Post

Italy deports 37 Nigerians

Jonathan did not reject help to rescue Chibok girls - UK govt confirms

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20 2026
Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

August 20 2026
Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
Super Eagles bow 1-2 to Algeria in friendly

Senate summons NFF, NSC over Nigeria’s football crises

August 20 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.