TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Abuja mall bomb blast kills 21, injures 17

The Citizen by The Citizen
June 26 2014
in Headlines, Latest News, Uncategorized
A A
0

…soldiers kill suspect, arrest another

Suspected members of the Islamist militant sect, Boko Haram, on Wednesday detonated another bomb at the   EMAB Plaza,  one of the busiest shopping complexes, in Abuja.

The explosion is the third in the Federal Capital Territory in the last two months. On April 14, 2014, a bomb blast at Nyanya, Abuja, killed 71 people and injured 124.

Another blast in Nyanya , a satellite settlement near Abuja, on May 1, 2014, killed 19 people and injured 60.

The   Wednesday   bomb went off   around 4.10pm   in front of the mall   adjacent to a very busy mosque where many Muslims had gone to observe   the Asri (4pm prayer).

Although eyewitnesses put the casualty figure at 30, the Force Public Relations Officer,  Frank Mbah, told journalists at the scene that 21 people   died and 17 were injured.

Mba’s figures were however contradicted by the Federal Capital Territory Minister, Bala Mohammed, who said that 12 people were killed while 35 were injured.

Mba had also said that the explosion destroyed 17 vehicles outside and within the complex.

The   Managing Editor, Northern Operations of the New Telegraph, Suleiman Bisalla, is one of the dead victims.

Eight others believed to be drivers were burnt in their vehicles.

Mbah said,   “We just want to confirm the fact that there was a blast at the Emab Plaza, Wuse , Abuja, this afternoon.   As soon as the incident occurred, security agents moved into the scene, we cordoned it off and initiated actions targeted at saving lives.

“The casualty figure for now is 21 dead, 17 injured and 17 vehicles burnt. If there are any changes later on we will inform you.

“It is also heart-warming to note that an arrest has been made and security agencies would follow up on that arrest .

“The building is still an active crime scene and it has been cordoned off. Investigation has commenced.

“The police bomb disposal squad working in conjunction with other security agencies has already commenced investigation.

“We have equally taken measures to secure the critical infrastructure and all the goods here, and we are assuring the traders and members of the public that we will put adequate security in place to ensure that there is no pilfering.

“We will intensify surveillance and monitoring of plazas, shopping malls and all the open markets. We had previously commenced this action, and we are not doing that because this explosion has taken place today.

“We have already begun to fortify all the soft targets within the FCT, and we will continue to do everything humanly possible to secure all our businesses and facilities within the FCT.’’

An eyewitness, who had blood stain on his blue shirt, told one of our correspondents that the intensity of the blast was such that many of those killed had their bodies completely dismembered.

Our correspondents also saw some body parts opposite the plaza , including the private parts of a man whose body was among those moved to the mortuary.

The Coordinator, National Information Centre, Mr Mike Omeri, said on Wednesday that soldiers killed one of the suspected bombers and arrested another.

Omeri told newsmen in Abuja that the attackers came on a power bike and planted an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) by the entrance of the shopping mall.

He also confirmed the death of 21 persons and 17 others injured in the blast which also damaged several vehicles.

It was gathered that the suspects, who attempted to flee the scene of the incident, were shot and arrested by personnel of the Guards Brigade on patrol duty in the area.

One of them later died from wounds sustained from gunshots while a bag containing IEDs was also recovered from the suspects.

Some of the victims were reportedly receiving treatment at the National Hospital, Wuse General Hospital and Maitama General Hospital, where movement had been restricted.

FCT Minister Bala Mohammed gave an assurance during a visit to the Maitama hospital that the Federal Government would foot the medical bills of the victims.

Mohammed advised residents to be very vigilant at all times and report suspicious movements to security agencies for prompt action to check such attacks.

Previous Post

Confab holds closed-sessions on security, evicts journalists

Next Post

Five die in double explosions in Lagos

Related Posts

Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students
Headlines

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026
Tinubu orders 24-hour aerial cordon on Kwara, Kebbi, Niger forests
Latest News

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara

August 18 2026
ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity
Headlines

ASUU threatens strike as 200 lecturers leave Kaduna Varsity

August 18 2026
Latest News

Xenophobia: 83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa Wednesday

August 18 2026
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
Headlines

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election

August 16 2026
Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results
Headlines

Adeleke edges to victory as INEC announces all 30 LGs’ results

August 16 2026
Next Post

Five die in double explosions in Lagos

Suarez hand four-month ban for bite

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

Rivers State not for political war, says Fubara

Gov. Fubara swears in 12 perm secs, urges commitment

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

Nigerian woman in Canada demands husband swear oath against cheating before visa sponsorship

by The Editor
July 23 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

Trump hides in catering truck to evade alleged Iran threat

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Gov. Adeleke declares Friday work-free day for Osun workers

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

Why Kano govt spent N1.5bn on mass wedding – Gov. Yusuf

by The Editor
August 10 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

August 18 2026
Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

August 18 2026
Edo govt shuts schools as DSS uncovers plot to abduct students

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community

August 18 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

Opinion

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Remi Tinubu under fire over akara, roasted corn remarks

Beyond ‘akara’ leadership

by The Editor
July 6 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.