TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Blatter backs Morocco 2026 World Cup bid

The Citizen by The Citizen
February 23 2018
in Sport
A A
0
Blatter backs Morocco 2026 World Cup bid

Disgraced former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has called for Morocco to be awarded the hosting rights for the 2026 World Cup.

Morocco will go up against the joint CONCACAF bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico, with the 68th FIFA Congress on June 13 to decide on whether it will select one of the official bids.

The north African nation have fallen short in attempts to secure the showpiece in 1994, 1998, 2006 and 2010.

Blatter recently ended a lengthy Twitter silence, having been ejected from office in October 2015 after evidence of a €1.3million “disloyal payment” to similarly removed ex-UEFA chief Michel Platini.

The 81-year-old is still serving a six-year ban from all football activities, but posted on social media to throw his weight behind Morocco’s pitch.

Blatter tweeted: “World Cup 2026: Co-Hosting rejected by FIFA after 2002 [Japan and South Korea co-hosted in that year].

“[Morocco] also applied in 2010 and 2018. And now: Morocco would be the logical host! And it is time for Africa again!”

Blatter’s support for Morocco is arguably unlikely given an official from their 2010 bid accused the Swiss administrator of deciding that contest in South Africa’s favour.

Said Nejjar of the Morocco 2010 organising committee said: “Blatter used all his weight to influence the outcome of the vote.”

In 2015, as the corruption scandal that would ultimately seal Blatter’s fate began to engulf world football’s governing body, the Sunday Times published a report based on secret recordings that allegedly featured then FIFA executive committee member Ismail Bhamjee claiming the 2004 vote had been won by Morocco before being “deliberately miscounted” in South Africa’s favour.

Blatter has denied allegations of impropriety around the bidding process for the 2010 World Cup. Bhamjee resigned from his position with FIFA in the wake of the 2006 World Cup ticketing scandal. – Bein Sports.

Previous Post

Another $500m for Ajaokuta? – Thisday

Next Post

Sokoto govt introduces tractor hire scheme

Related Posts

NFF faces FG sanctions after Super Eagles, Falcons World Cup failures
Sport

NFF faces FG sanctions after Super Eagles, Falcons World Cup failures

August 21 2026
Ronaldinho signs for Serie C side Ravenna
Sport

Ronaldinho signs for Serie C side Ravenna

August 21 2026
Super Eagles bow 1-2 to Algeria in friendly
Sport

Senate summons NFF, NSC over Nigeria’s football crises

August 20 2026
NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup miss
Sport

NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup miss

August 18 2026
Osimhen ends transfer saga with Galatasaray loan move
Sport

Arsenal open Osimhen talks with Galatasaray

August 13 2026
Cameroon beat host Morocco on penalties to reach WAFCON final
Sport

Cameroon beat host Morocco on penalties to reach WAFCON final

August 13 2026
Next Post
Sokoto govt introduces tractor hire scheme

Sokoto govt introduces tractor hire scheme

Ugwuanyi’s leadership style inspired my interest in politics, says Ex-IGP

Ugwuanyi’s leadership style inspired my interest in politics, says Ex-IGP

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

Country of Particular Concern: We cannot remove Nigeria’s CPC tag — US Congressman insists

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

...

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

August 21 2026
Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces end of 28-year marriage

Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces end of 28-year marriage

August 21 2026
2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC, Uzodimma over Imo West ticket

2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC, Uzodimma over Imo West ticket

August 21 2026
UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

UK warns citizens against travel to 28 Nigerian states over terrorism, kidnap risk

August 21 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

BREAKING: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom

Terror victims deserve care – Punch

by The Editor
August 21 2026
0

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.