TheCitizen - It's all about you
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials
No Result
View All Result
TheCitizen - It's all about you
No Result
View All Result

Chibok girls forgotten 11 years after – Punch

The Editor by The Editor
April 14 2025
in Public Affairs
A A
0
Chibok girls forgotten 11 years after – Punch

Today is the 11th anniversary of the embarrassing Chibok schoolgirls kidnapping. The girls and their parents will never forget that misbegotten night of April 14, 2014. Does the government know or care?

The Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, had been shut for four weeks due to poor security conditions but was reopened to allow final-year students to sit their certificate exams. In the dead of night, Boko Haram men in military uniform stormed the school and stole 276 girls. The teenage girls mistook them for soldiers.

It was the most audacious operation the Islamist terror group had launched in Nigeria. Reports stated that they arrived in a convoy of vehicles, into which they herded their young victims. It was a most harrowing experience for the teens. Some jumped out of the trucks. The rest ended up where their captors wanted: the forbidding Sambisa Forest.

The world was horrified, but the Nigerian government would hardly be bothered. About 24 hours after the incident, then-President Goodluck Jonathan flew to Kano to receive Ibrahim Shekarau, a former governor of the state, who defected to the ruling PDP. There, he sang and danced happily at a political rally. He lived in denial for a whole month and did not speak publicly about the attack until May 4. This is unfortunate.

Canada, China, France, Britain, and the United States expressed their sympathies and offered to help. France promised to send troops. China offered to deploy its satellite surveillance technology. The British Royal Air Force said it sighted the girls a few weeks after their kidnapping and offered to rescue them.

The Americans, using their “eye in the sky” technology, reported seeing a group of about 80 of the Chibok girls. They, too, said they would assist. But the Jonathan administration declined, saying it was a national issue that would be tackled internally.

As the government prevaricated, Abubakar Shekau, then leader of the murderous group, released a video of some 130 of the kidnapped girls in hijab and boasted about the chilling things he and his gang could do with them. He said his religion allowed him to capture infidels and use them as slaves. It was a frightening hint of what the kidnapped girls were going through.

Many were forcibly converted to Islam. Some were married against their will or kept in sexual slavery. Some who resisted went through hell. A good number escaped, even walking for weeks in the bushes.

Some were found wandering with their babies; some were rescued by the military. Those caught trying to escape were severely beaten. In 2016, two of the girls were found violently raped, half-dead, and tied to a tree. Some were radicalised and turned into suicide bombers.

The government failed them on that woeful night of April 14, 2014. Some locals reportedly informed the military of the terrorists’ convoy moving towards Chibok. But no action was taken.

Over 90 of the girls are still missing. Where are they? What are their captors doing with them? The government fails them still, 11 years later.

Muhammadu Buhari, who campaigned on Jonathan’s weaknesses and failure to prevent the Chibok kidnapping or rescue the girls, also failed to secure their release.

On February 19, 2018, over two years into his first term, Boko Haram kidnapped 110 girls from the Government Science and Technical College, Dapchi, in neighbouring Yobe State. About a month later, 101 of the girls were brought back.

Some of those not returned are believed to be killed. One of them, Leah Sharibu, 15 at the time, is still held by the terrorists because she refused to renounce her Christian faith. Till the end of Buhari’s eight-year term, Boko Haram could not be tamed, though he and his aides kept saying the group had been technically degraded.

In 2015, Amnesty International estimated that some 2,000 women and girls had been abducted by Boko Haram since 2014.

Between 2014 and now, the Islamists and bandits have attacked schools in the North, with serious breaches in Niger, Kaduna, Zamfara, and Katsina States.

This is a blight on the government and the security agencies, including the self-styled Department of State Services. The government has failed in its core responsibility to secure the citizens. As long as one citizen is in captivity, so long is the country in captivity.

Nearly two years into his administration, President Bola Tinubu has yet to utter a word about the missing girls and others still held by Boko Haram.

Vice-President Kashim Shettima, who was Borno State governor when the Chibok girls were abducted, rarely talks about it.

But their kidnapping was no fault of theirs and could have happened to anybody. Why abandon them? Is the Tinubu administration wishing the tragedy away?

Even more heartrending is the official narrative that things are getting better in the security sector. This is untrue. There seems to be an unwritten law in Aso Rock that keeps denying the obvious. Nigeria is sixth on the Global Terrorism Index. That is a dangerous rating. The government must stop living in denial.

Hundreds of schools have been shut down in the North due to terror attacks. More than 1,600 children have been kidnapped across the region since 2014, according to Save the Children.

This has kept tens of thousands of children from attending school. This has contributed to about 20.1 million children out of school in Nigeria, per the UN. This portends danger to the entire country. It should be reversed.

The government should ramp up efforts to bring back the remaining Chibok girls and others still held by Islamist terror groups.

Nigerians and parents of the missing girls, including Sharibu, ought to know where their children are. It is insensitive for government officials to be globetrotting and carrying on as though the country’s security challenges are over.

The fact that over 90 kidnapped Chibok girls and others are yet to return highlights a lack of political will to contain the Islamists and bandits. The Tinubu administration should make history and win this war. State police, vigilantes, and top-notch intelligence will help.

In 2015, there was a $30 million international effort tagged the Safe Schools Initiative to rebuild hundreds of schools in the North. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, then Nigeria’s finance minister (now Director-General of the World Trade Organisation), flew into GGSC, Chibok, in a helicopter to lay the foundation block.

Years later, the rebuilding plan did not make much progress. The school is still in disrepair, the locals say. Other schools are in similar conditions and are also closed.

This plays into the agenda of murderous groups like Boko Haram, which are opposed to education. The schools should be rebuilt, and children encouraged to return.

It is disturbing that the government has ignored the missing Chibok girls and the Leah Sharibus.

Nigeria must quit living in denial of the obvious terrorists’ atrocities. Tinubu should declare a state of emergency on insecurity. The government must be intentional about seeking solutions to the menace, including gleaning from such countries as Colombia, where diehard militants also kidnapped large numbers of innocent citizens.

This year, the defence gulped N6.7 trillion. It must be used to secure the people.

Previous Post

30 die after Russian missile attack on Ukrainian city

Next Post

Eedris Abdulkareem’s anti-Tinubu song gains streams as Soyinka slams NBC

Related Posts

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch
Public Affairs

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

August 20 2026
Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu
Public Affairs

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

August 18 2026
Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch
Public Affairs

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

August 12 2026
‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine
Public Affairs

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

August 11 2026
FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres
Public Affairs

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

August 9 2026
Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch
Public Affairs

Osun’s toxic election buildup – Punch

August 7 2026
Next Post
Eedris Abdulkareem’s anti-Tinubu song gains streams as Soyinka slams NBC

Eedris Abdulkareem’s anti-Tinubu song gains streams as Soyinka slams NBC

Nigerian soldiers kill four bandits in Kaduna

South-East youths shun military recruitment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FROM THE GRASSROOTS

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

Adeleke chairmen seize Osun LG secretariats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

APM sweeps Bauchi LG poll, wins all 20 chairmanship seats

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

Lagos Council defies NLC directive to skip Pro-Tinubu Group inauguration

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

Federal High Court relocates Lagos division to new complex

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

APPOINTMENTS

Tinubu names new Head of Service

Tinubu names new Head of Service

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

Sahara Upstream positions Arahas and SGIR for next growth phase, deepens investment in African oilfield services

by The Editor
August 8 2026
0

...

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

Police IG deploys new CPs to eight states, other formations

by The Editor
August 7 2026
0

...

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

Katsina governor swears in four permanent secretaries

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

...

ODDITIES

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

Celestial Church begins probe into Temitope Osoba’s death

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

Indimi joins appeal against $43.5m judgement award to daughters

by The Editor
August 6 2026
0

GLOBAL NEWS

Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

Trump threatens to bomb Oman

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Putin defies Trump with second nuclear weapons test

Russia summons Japan ambassador over disputed islands row

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

WHO sounds alarm on ebola outbreak

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

Rescuers scramble for survivors with 180 dead in Colombia earthquake

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

...

State of the States

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

Gov. Otu bows to pressure, orders release of detained critic Odama

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

...

2027: Makinde to unveil APM presidential campaign council Friday

Oyo declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese day

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Gov. Adeleke deposes Oba Joseph Oloyede, Apetu of Ipetumodu

Account Freeze: Adeleke orders Osun Attorney-General to withdraw suit against EFCC

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Lagos leads January 2026 FAAC allocations with N55.83bn

Sanwo-Olu inducts 1,000 as Lagos internship beneficiaries hit 8,000

by The Editor
August 13 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Widget Tab Post needs JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20 2026
Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

August 20 2026
Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

Pension row: Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance

August 20 2026
Super Eagles bow 1-2 to Algeria in friendly

Senate summons NFF, NSC over Nigeria’s football crises

August 20 2026

EDITORIAL REVIEW

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

Unfilled tertiary education spaces debacle – Punch

by The Editor
August 20 2026
0

Reps in rowdy session over motion to summon Tinubu

Accounting for recovered assets – Punch

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

Stop recruiting youths for election violence – Punch

by The Editor
August 12 2026
0

‘Fake’ Agency: Adeyemi insists DG appointment genuine

Country of ghost workers, ghost MDAs – Punch

by The Editor
August 11 2026
0

FG embarks on expansion, decongestion of custodial centres

Prison reform can’t wait any longer – Punch

by The Editor
August 9 2026
0

Opinion

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

How Adeleke danced back from the dead

by The Editor
August 19 2026
0

...

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

Adeleke’s win and the cost of winning at all costs

by The Editor
August 18 2026
0

...

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

Airtime credit dispute and need for clarity

by The Editor
August 5 2026
0

...

Tinubu swears in four Permanent Secretaries, INEC commissioner

Tinubu: The Audacity to Hope – Three years after

by The Editor
July 31 2026
0

...

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • Latest News
  • Governance
  • Business
  • Financial Crimes
  • Opinion
  • Editorials

© 2026 TheCitizen Ng. All Rights Reserved.